State Capitals that went for Romney (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:30:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  State Capitals that went for Romney (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Capitals that went for Romney  (Read 6584 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »

I know they gave the county by county breakdown, so I was wondering which state capitals of the ones below went for Romney vs. Obama.  I assumed Obama won everyone in the states where he won the county they are located in.  Any thoughts

Juneau, AK - Alaska does give county by county breakdown, but pretty sure Obama easily won this.
Salem, OR - Romney won both Marion and Polk County although considering they include some rural area, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Obama narrowly won Salem
Boise, ID - Ada County went for Romney but I know last time around Obama won Boise despite losing Ada County so it would be interesting if he won it or narrowly missed it.
Carson City, NV - Since the county and city are the same, Romney definitely won this.
Salt Lake City, UT - Pretty sure Obama won this as the results in Salt Lake County were similiar to 2004 when Kerry when Salt Lake City by over 15 points but lost the county by around 20 points.  My understanding is the city itself is quite a bit more liberal than the suburbs which are generally very conservative
Phoenix, AZ - Pretty sure this went Obama as usually Phoenix goes Democrat, while the suburbs where 2/3 of the population live tend to go around 60% Republican.
Helena, MT - I am guessing Obama probably won this as Lewis & Clark County was 50-47 for Romney and I would suspect the rural parts went heavily for Romney, but would be good to get a confirmation on this one.
Cheyenne, WY - Almost positive Romney won this, maybe even with over 60%
Bismarck, ND - Definitely Romney, likely over 60%
Pierre, SD - Definitely Romney, likely over 60%
Lincoln, NE - Probably narrowly Obama as Romney barely won Lancaster County and the small part of the population outside of Lincoln probably went heavily for Romney.
Topeka, KS - I would think Obama as Romney only narrowly won Shawnee County and usually the suburbs and rural areas tend to go heavily GOPl
Oklahoma City, OK - If I had to make a guess, I would say Romney as the city straddles three counties although considering how massively the surrounding areas went for Romney, it is possible but unlikely Obama won here.
Jefferson City, MO - Considering how heavily Cole County went for Romney, I suspect he won this pretty handidly although probably not quite as massively as the county.
Springfield, IL - Hard to say as Springfield has a sizable although not huge African-American community thus why it would lean Obama, but at the same time it contains more than half the county's population so that means the suburbs and rural parts would have had to have gone massively Romney if Obama won Springfield.
Annapolis, MD - Almost positive Obama won here as Anne Arundel County barely went for Romney and looking at the precinct map in the Washington Post it looks like Obama won most of them in Annapolis never mind I suspect the more affluent suburbs of Baltimore is where Romney was probably strongest here.
Charleston, WV - Hard to say as although Romney won the county by more than 10%, I suspect the suburbs and rural areas are far more Republican as well as the city itself as 15% African-American and only 80% white so assuming the minority vote overwhelmingly went for Obama, and Obama got at least in the low 40s amongst whites due to the large civil service, then it is possible, but need confirmation here.

Any thoughts here.

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »

While still needs to verify, it looks Romney's wins were only Carson City, NV; Cheyenne, WY; Bismarck, ND; Pierre, SD; Oklahoma City, OK; and Jefferson City, MO.  Boise, ID and Charleston, WV and perhaps Springfield, IL we will have to wait until we get the precinct results.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

I'll bet you anything Obama won all those except Carson City, Oklahoma City, and Pierre. The urban/rural split is that wide now.

Romney definitely won Bismarck, Cheyenne, and Jefferson City.  I also think Charleston, WV is a toss-up but beyond that it looks like Obama won most of them.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »

So far it looks like of the capitals in counties Romney won;

Obama won Salem, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Helena, Lincoln, Topeka, and Annapolis or at least I think it safe to assume he won these even if they were close.

Charleston, Boise, and Springfield still seem unclear to any clarification would be great.

It looks like Romney won Carson City, Cheyenne, Bismarck, Pierre, and Jefferson City, so he won anywhere between 5-8 state capitals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies