Gwinnett County Georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gwinnett County Georgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gwinnett County Georgia  (Read 4602 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »

Sadly, this rapidly growing suburban county didn't flip to Obama, but still bucked the statewide trend and swung towards him slightly.

This is the Gwinnett precinct results map for 2012. There are two corridors of blue where the minority population is growing

Here are the 2008 results.

Here is a map of total R and D votes cast through the years in Gwinnett. The R vote grows astronomically, stalls out in 2008 and has remained stagnant. The D vote jumped sharply in 2008 and rose slightly in 2012.

Gwinnett County is now less than 44% white, 20.5% Latino, 25% Black and 11% Asian.

This county seems like low hanging fruit for the Democrats if they put effort into registering the growing minority groups.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:01:18 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2012, 09:09:14 PM by Badger »

Good job, other than the shameful color reversal. Wink

What can you say about the relatively isolated red Lawrenceville precinct 61? Whay kind of neighborhood is it?

EDIT: Also, any idea how Asians there tend to vote?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »

No doubt this will be the swing county of a future swing state; I can't wait to see presidential candidates baby-smooching and handshaking here.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that whites still have both voter registration and demographic advantages here; the minority population is artifically high when compared to potential electoral clout. According to the ACS, only 35% of foreign-born residents are US citizens.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »

What can you say about the relatively isolated red Lawrenceville precinct 61? Whay kind of neighborhood is it?

Oh, I didn't make the map myself...I'm not that good yet. Don't really know about precinct 61. I actually don't live in Gwinnett. I live in an area further south in the metro so I'm not an expert, although anyone from the Atlanta area has to travel through Gwinnett eventually.

Lawrenceville is a fairly old town so I'm guessing that precinct is the historic district where a lot of old-line founding families live.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

No doubt this will be the swing county of a future swing state; I can't wait to see presidential candidates baby-smooching and handshaking here.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that whites still have both voter registration and demographic advantages here; the minority population is artifically high when compared to potential electoral clout. According to the ACS, only 35% of foreign-born residents are US citizens.

But that's what makes Gwinnett so promising! It's already becoming competitive without many of those immigrants and minorities voting. The Democratic party has a large untapped pool of voters here already, and in the future many of these immigrants' children will reach voting age. On the other hand, the white population is not only decreasing as a percentage, but in total numbers as well.
Benj

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Do you have a precinct-by-precinct swing or trend map? Would be interesting to see where the Democrats are gaining ground.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »

I am guessing the largest group of Asians is East Indians and if I am not mistaken they are the most heavily Democrat of all Asian groups.  I suspect being outside the city though the white vote still went massively for Romney and considering the age demographics as well as the fact many Asians and Latinos are not yet US citizens, I can see why it still went Romney but certainly looks promising long-term.  Isn't Forsyth County to the North and I believe this was an area the Ku Klux Klan was historically quite strong in so I am not surprised about the heavy Republican support in the northern part of the county.  I think unlike in Fulton County, I get the impression a lot of the whites are still quite racist in this area, although I could be wrong. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies