Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:47:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 72209 times)
Benj

« on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »

Here is a precinct map of LA county, although it does not include absentees or provisionals.
http://graphics.latimes.com/how-la-voted-2012/#9/34.2152/-118.6111

Palmdale is becoming really Democratic, isn't it? I wonder how long Republican support in the Antelope Valley can hold up. Buck McKeon might be in trouble some time this decade.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »

Figured I'd put up my map of town results in New England. Does anyone have the shapefiles for New Hampshire by the way? The scale is in absolute votes not in terms of vote share.

Not sure whether you're using Atlas colors or normal colors, but either way you appear to have the colors reversed in Connecticut from the rest of the map.
Benj

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2012, 11:27:50 AM by Benj »

Do you have Harris County, TX, New York, NY, Los Angeles County, CA, Fairfax County, VA, Fulton County, GA, Nacogdoches County, TX, and Utah County, UT?

Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA have already been posted in some form. Most of the others aren't finalized yet.

I just saw Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA. Pretty interesting to see those, but I also saw the poster above for LAC, all I gotta say is that inner-city LA and Hollywood are voting almost the same way all the time.

I can't wait for the others though to come up, I also I'd like to see San Mateo County, CA. I'd like to see how Silicon Valley voted.

Nearly all of Silicon Valley is in Santa Clara County, FTR. Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc. Only Atherton and Menlo Park are in San Mateo County.
Benj

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »

I think those are ranches east of Milpitas. Pretty sure about that. Milpitas is exactly the sort of place I would think actually swung to Obama. Also Daly City votes very Democratic. Everyone votes Democratic actually. This is the Bay Area.

By "ranches", do you mean gated communities?
Benj

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

One request: Washington, DC. Not the results, though those would also be appreciated, but the change in raw vote from 2008 to 2012. Alternatively, the change in turnout, if you have that data. DC saw by far the biggest increase in raw vote nationally, 10.5%. (The next three were Colorado, 7.0%; Utah, 6.8%; and Nevada, 4.9%.) I'd like to see where that was concentrated.
Benj

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »

Thanks so much!

I'd guess the big changes are not due to precinct shifts, actually. Those are the rapidly developing Navy Yard (southern precinct) and Near Northeast/Truxton Circle (northern three precincts), where a bunch of new condos and rental buildings have opened in recent years. The real estate bust never happened in DC.

Interesting to see that the vote increases were otherwise concentrated in the gentrifying areas, too. Some increases in the poor, heavily black areas, but mostly stable to a small increase there. And stability or declines in the wealthy areas of NW and Capitol Hill (not a shock). I suppose it is true that DC's density is increasing in gentrifying areas, even aside from the areas heavy with new development (like the two spots where turnout exploded, above).

Incidentally, what was Obama's worst precinct?
Benj

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 08:26:33 PM by Benj »

I just found a good map for my birth county: Harris County, TX!

http://gregsopinion.com/?p=14202

Can anyone convert this into Atlas colors and template? I don't have time to do it myself.

Surprisingly in this map, parts of Midtown and Downtown Houston were Romney (these are very liberal areas) and parts of Clear Lake and Spring were Obama (these are conservative White evangelical areas).

No, they aren't. Montrose, the only area in Houston that might remotely be described as "liberal", voted for Obama. Those two precincts Romney narrowly won in the CBD only barely voted for Obama in 2008 and were very solidly for Bush in 2004. Not liberal (though have some liberals).

The Obama precincts in Clear Lake and Spring are where the minorities live, but the Romney precincts are intensely Romney and way outnumber the Obama ones.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies