Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 71448 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

Yowza! You're the best, realistic.

Is there any way to post that image so that we can zoom in for greater detail?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

That is..... GORGEOUS! Wow, amazing job. What's up with that relatively strong rural support for Obama in the middle of Virginia? It's also quite white.

Albermarle is self explanatory but I don't know what's up with the areas right south of it. Anyone know?

Rural black voters would be my guess. They represent a significant minority in the area just south of Albemarle (over 15% in most precincts, and well over that in some). If Obama didn't totally bomb among white voters, a wide margin among that 15% may have given him an edge.

Right, but why were they voting differently from other rural white Virginians?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

If you click on the map, it gets rather large. You should be able to see everything fairly easily. Is there a specific area you want a zoomed in shot of?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »

Does Westchester County, NY have precinct results yet? I'd like to see the swings in that county compared to 2008 (plus a general map).
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »

Does Westchester County, NY have precinct results yet? I'd like to see the swings in that county compared to 2008 (plus a general map).

It might take a while for them to release their canvass book, as it does for many NY counties.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

Thank you so much, Realisticidealist! I am doing a college research paper on the election results in the state, and I can't tell you how much appreciation I have for all your effort! Beautiful and well done! I'd imagine you could probably do municipal results in the Northeast and Great Lakes states if you had the data.
-John
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »

Thank you so much, Realisticidealist! I am doing a college research paper on the election results in the state, and I can't tell you how much appreciation I have for all your effort! Beautiful and well done! I'd imagine you could probably do municipal results in the Northeast and Great Lakes states if you had the data.
-John

Political geog w/Norris?

Yep. That's him! Are you taking the class as well and decided to use the forum as a resource?
-John
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »

If you click on the map, it gets rather large. You should be able to see everything fairly easily. Is there a specific area you want a zoomed in shot of?

I don't know why it appeared so much smaller earlier today. I can see it supersized now, thanks!

Seems a little strange that a big city like Richmond has so few voting districts. Buffalo, NY is of a similar size and has something like 300-400 precincts.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »

Full Delaware precinct map:

Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »

These maps are all awesome. Thank you.

My request would be for more referendum maps. Those are really interesting and there aren't enough of them elsewhere. Washington gay marriage/marijuana legalization, CO marijuana, and MD/MN gay marriage would all be interesting to me if you care or have time. Thanks!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »

MN gay marriage would be pretty interesting...maybe MD too. And prop 30 in California! I promise it will be interesting.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »

When all the data is out, I'm planning on making statewide maps of Washington for President and R-74.

Prop 30 and MD gay marriage would be interesting in some areas. Not all the data is out yet though, especially for CA. If Berkeley gets their stuff together, I might be able to do a statewide CA map or two...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »

Prop 30 would be interesting in Socal. And yes, it is better to wait till all the votes are in. Looking forward to it! Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2012, 10:33:58 PM by nclib »

Minnesota has precinct maps on their website: http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=1734 (though unfortunately in a format with % Yes, rather than Yes vs. No)

Here's a map of Snohomish County comparing the Yes vote on gay marriage against the vote for Obama. The red areas are where Obama outperformed R-74 whereas blue areas gay marriage did better than Obama.

Unsurprisingly, Obama outperformed gay marriage along highway 99, an area with plenty of minorities (for Washington) and working class poor; in the poorer parts of north Everett; in downtown Marysville (which resembles areas near highway 99); and on the Tulalip Indian Reservation. Gay marriage outperformed Obama along the wealthier coastal precincts (similarly in Mill Creek), along highway 9 in Cathcart (?), some areas around Monroe and various lakes, and (for some reason) in the Stillaguamish Valley. My own precinct was one of the few that voted for Romney yet still supported gay marriage (and marijuana legalization).

Maps like these are great. Keep up the good work.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »

Awesome stuff!

Could you do a version of Franklin Co OH with the base map?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »

I don't know why it appeared so much smaller earlier today. I can see it supersized now, thanks!

Seems a little strange that a big city like Richmond has so few voting districts. Buffalo, NY is of a similar size and has something like 300-400 precincts.
VRA. Reviewing precinct boundaries takes DOJ approval in the South. While a formality, it's still a bother, so Southern precincts tend to remain more stable - and be huge in the suburbs.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »

That is..... GORGEOUS! Wow, amazing job. What's up with that relatively strong rural support for Obama in the middle of Virginia? It's also quite white.

My guess is that you're looking at the Charlottesville area. Cvilee is where UVA is located and it's your typical liberal college town.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »

My guess is that you're looking at the Charlottesville area. Cvilee is where UVA is located and it's your typical liberal college town.

I was thinking more of the larger, presumably rural precincts to the south and surrounding Charlottesville. I know that even further south, Obama's strength is from a high black population, but I thought the area where I am talking about is considerably whiter...?
Seattle
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »

Going through DRA, I'm talking about Nelson County, which 82% white, Buckingham County, which is 61% white, Fluvanna (which Obama did not win, but did well in 2008), which is 79% white.

Then there is Albermarle county, but I'm guessing that's due to Charlottesville spill over?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:56 AM »

Excellent work!  How about Spokane County WA?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »

King County, WA - President:

Gay marriage:

Marijuana:

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2012, 03:28:27 AM »

What's the explanation behind that single Romney precinct in Seattle?

It should also be very interesting to see the entire map of Washington when it comes to marijuana legalization, since support looks like it was quite broad.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2012, 03:36:07 AM »

What's the explanation behind that single Romney precinct in Seattle?

I believe it's a pretty wealthy gated community on the Broadmoor country club.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »

It does seem like that sort of description would easily fit a pro-Romney area, namely one that is both strongly fiscally conservative and socially liberal (especially since that same precinct apparently voted easily for gay marriage and for marijuana legalization). It's still pretty odd to see even one Romney precinct in a city so Democratic as Seattle. I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like that is the same precinct McCain lost 46-53 in 2008.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

The people who live there are basically Romney clones, extremely wealthy, golf playing, 1%ers.

Obama winning it in '08 was unusual.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies