An Electoral Campaign: The PiT Story
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  An Electoral Campaign: The PiT Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: An Electoral Campaign: The PiT Story  (Read 1106 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »

So a kind of Westminster system in the South hey ? Intriguing, but worth the debate.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »

So a kind of Westminster system in the South hey ? Intriguing, but worth the debate.

Pretty much; I like the idea of having a Cabinet, but I'd prefer having an active Legislature, so hey, why not both?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »

Not much more to add other than, 'Endorsed'.

Bet you didn't see that one coming. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »

Pretty much; I like the idea of having a Cabinet, but I'd prefer having an active Legislature, so hey, why not both?

Since the election excitement seems to have cooled off over the past couple of days, I'll take a moment to expound on this. The office of Viceroy interacted with the Legislature, while being separate from it. Not being able to take part in votes and such, Viceroys tended to be less interested and less active than Legislators. As such, it proved more efficient to just have the Imperial Speaker manage Legislative votes.

My opponent pointed out that it would be more interesting to have a variety of different offices. I completely agree with him there and I would love to have a Cabinet separate from the Legislature, much like the federal government does. However, with greatly restricted options to act and being forced to interact with a dynamic legislative body, I fear that the Cabinet would be overtaken by activity. Even the federal Cabinet has been plagued with activity issues, and that is with many years of fine-tuning to create varied offices with interesting duties.

For those reasons, I think that combining the Cabinet concept with the Legislature would be the best way to approach the concept on the regional level. I would further suggest that allowing different Legislators to pursue different portfolios would help differentiate the seats. It could even justify the addition of more seats, as having more Legislators would make it feasible to integrate more portfolios into the system and allow a greater breadth and a greater depth of bills to be brought before the region.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 04:40:15 AM »

Are we talking about Cabinet positions regarding topics of policy or game-related ? i.e :
- would it be someone for the wiki, someone for inter-regional relations etc.
- or rather someone on the environment, someone on fiscal matters etc. ?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »

Are we talking about Cabinet positions regarding topics of policy or game-related ? i.e :
- would it be someone for the wiki, someone for inter-regional relations etc.
- or rather someone on the environment, someone on fiscal matters etc. ?

I think both should be options. While there are certain basic items that we should try to get somebody to do (budget, as you suggest), in general I think the Legislators should have discretion to pursue and champion the issues that interest them the most. A portfolio can be as broad or as narrow as the person in charge of it needs it to be, as long as they manage to produce something to debate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 01:44:21 AM »

I would like to thank everyone who voted for me for their support. I couldn't have made it this far without their help. Happily, the electorate of this region entrusted me to lead the region for four more months, and lead them into the dawn of a new year. After so much time in office I feared that I had fallen out of touch with the region, but I see that a majority of voters begged to differ.

I would also like to thank Adam Griffin for a good race. This was the most interesting election this region has seen in a long time, and has given me some ideas to pursue in my final term. Going even further, I would say that I have never seen a regional election attract this much interest. Few regional races garner even the slightest attention, but I read many posts and received many PMs from people even outside of the region regarding this. I hope that this demonstrates to everyone that regional elections can be just as great as federal ones.

Though the incumbent won, there is an important lesson to take away from this election. The IDS was historically the least contested region in the country, but now it is becoming the most contested. We are now seeing an era of renewed interest in regional politics, and this era is one of unprecedented growth for our region. Thank you all, for taking part in this new chapter in the history of the Southland, and good night.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:08 AM »

All hail emperor PiT. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies