Presidential Results vs. Senatorial Results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:38:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Presidential Results vs. Senatorial Results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Results vs. Senatorial Results  (Read 1960 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: August 03, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »

Adding to above, Lee also probably won the bulk of Gary Johnson voters in Utah. Only a very small segment of Clinton voters went for him (Snow got approximately 9,000 fewer votes than Clinton did, and received a marginally lower percentage, 27.06%, compared to Clinton's 27.17%).

On the Democratic side, the most dramatic overperformances over Clinton were New York (Schumer 71%; Clinton 59%), Connecticut (Blumenthal 63%; Clinton 55%); Hawaii (Schatz 74%; Clinton 62%)  Oregon (Wyden 57%; Clinton 50%); Washington (Murray 59%; Clinton 53%); and Vermont (Leahy 61%; Clinton 56%). This actually represents the bulk of Democratic Senators who won in 2016. Michael Bennet and Maggie Hassan only ran marginally ahead of Clinton, and Catherine Cortez-Masto and Tammy Duckworth ran behind her (Masto's margin of victory was 0.01% higher than Clinton's, but her percentage was 0.82% lower; moreover, she lost Washoe County, which Clinton carried).

I've always been particularly impressed by Schumer's performance in New York, and given all that has happened, am still struggling to grasp the motivations of the hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers-rural voters, Orthodox Jews, white working-class voters, and suburbanites-who split their tickets between him and Trump. Washington, Oregon, and Hawaii all had large third-party votes, and Hawaii Democrats almost always win reelection with more than 70% of the vote; moreover Murray and Wyden (especially the latter) are popular, long-established incumbents. The same is true for Blumenthal in Connecticut, and for Leahy in Vermont, though I am somewhat surprised the latter didn't outperform Clinton more than he did.

I think it is a New York thing where they like their incumbents a lot and/or Republicans have a candidate problem?
In the 21st century all Senate elections in New York have been at least D+34 save for the special election in 2010 (where there was no incumbent). No presidential candidate managed to beat D+28.
(I don't think that Hillary Clinton and Kirsten Gillibrand were and are especially more or especially less liked than Schumer)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies