Did Obama win any European ethnicities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Obama win any European ethnicities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Obama win any European ethnicities  (Read 2537 times)
Seattle
United States

« on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure of the recent European immigrants, Bosnians voted for Obama... Though I have no numbers to back that up.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:03 AM »

As for the Bosnians, I believe most are Muslim as well so that probably would explain them going for Obama as the GOP are pretty unpopular amongst Muslims regardless of where they come from.  Not because Obama is Muslim (as most Muslims know he is not) but rather Islamophobia is quite rampant in the GOP so it would be pretty tough to vote for a party that is anti-Islam if you were a Muslim.

Only about 40% of Bosnians are Muslims. I think most in America are actually atheists (another very pro-Obama group). If they're not Muslim or atheist, they're probably Catholic.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »

As for the Bosnians, I believe most are Muslim as well so that probably would explain them going for Obama as the GOP are pretty unpopular amongst Muslims regardless of where they come from.  Not because Obama is Muslim (as most Muslims know he is not) but rather Islamophobia is quite rampant in the GOP so it would be pretty tough to vote for a party that is anti-Islam if you were a Muslim.

Only about 40% of Bosnians are Muslims. I think most in America are actually atheists (another very pro-Obama group). If they're not Muslim or atheist, they're probably Catholic.

Do you mean Bosnians or Bosniaks?
No, I mean Bosnians. Bosniaks are muslim (ethnic) Bosnians.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

That's not how residents of Bosnia identify. If you're Muslim, you're a Bosnian/Bosniak. If you're Catholic, you're a Croat, even if you live in Bosnia. If you're Orthodox, you're a Serb, even if you live in Bosnia.

This is because the Bosniak/Croat/Serb distinction is not ethnic at all; they're all ethnically indistinguishable. The distinctions are entirely religious. (Of course, in modern times they think of themselves as ethnically distinct, but those distinctions are of recent vintage and drawn entirely on religious grounds.)

Yes, we could use "Bosnian" to refer generically to everyone from the political entity of Bosnia and "Bosniak" to refer only to Muslim Bosnians. But Catholic Bosnians would call themselves Croats, and Orthodox Bosnians would call themselves Serbs, so you'd be left with only Bosniaks calling themselves Bosnians anyway. I guarantee you that at least 85% of all self-identified Bosnians in the US are Muslim. (Or atheist, I suppose--that's an entirely different issue. But still only those of Muslim heritage/background would call themselves Bosnian, even if they're non-religious these days.)

Oh, I know, I am a Bosnian mix. I usually just use Bosnian as an indentifier, as very few people know the distinction between a Bosnian Serb or Croat. It gets even more confusing for people like my mother, who identified (and I imagine she still does) as a Yugoslav. I was using the term Bosnian to refer to all people who have emigrated from the political entity of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Since religion (or lack there of) plays a dominent role in politics, I mentioned that most immigrants are probably atheist, therefore more likely to vote for Obama.

In fact, I'd venture to say that a good portion of emigrants from Bosnia are "mixed", or children of Serb/Muslim/Croat parents, and thus don't identify as a Bosniak, but simply as a Bosnian, or as a Sarajevan, since most likely these people are from Sarajevo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies