Iowa (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:12:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Iowa (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa  (Read 3249 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:01:11 AM »

Iowa's voting patterns make a lot of sense if someone actually looks at the state and sees that it's not endless rows of cornfields but rather population-wise mostly a collection of smaller cities scattered throughout the state that are big enough to develop a cosmopolitan and intellectual culture but not large enough to develop the white flight/exurban sprawl stuff found in larger metros to a great degree. Also in contrast to stereotypes people who actually understood the state knew early on in 2008 based on some selected precincts in Des Moines and Waterloo that any hope Hillary had of making inroads with the black vote was dead.
Iowa is still a swing state, though.

Not anymore. It's fascinating to read these comments in hindsight, given how Democrats are now collapsing in the state outside of Des Moines and some of the other larger cities.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 10:13:54 AM »

Iowa's voting patterns make a lot of sense if someone actually looks at the state and sees that it's not endless rows of cornfields but rather population-wise mostly a collection of smaller cities scattered throughout the state that are big enough to develop a cosmopolitan and intellectual culture but not large enough to develop the white flight/exurban sprawl stuff found in larger metros to a great degree. Also in contrast to stereotypes people who actually understood the state knew early on in 2008 based on some selected precincts in Des Moines and Waterloo that any hope Hillary had of making inroads with the black vote was dead.

Not anymore. It's fascinating to read these comments in hindsight, given how Democrats are now collapsing in the state outside of Des Moines and some of the other larger cities.

Why in God's name did you feel the need to necro this?

If you've noticed, I've bumped up several old threads in the past several months, to reflect on what was said in years past or to provide additional contributions. No one has said that I cannot do this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 07:14:07 PM »

If you've noticed, I've bumped up several old threads in the past several months, to reflect on what was said in years past or to provide additional contributions. No one has said that I cannot do this.

I dunno, I just find necroing kinda pointless in that situation when you just want to make a small comment like that. If the topic is relevant to modern events, yeah, but eh, necroing threads expressly to commentate is a bit dumb.

But is this not a forum where we discuss political trends? And is this not a forum where we must be serious all the time? Moreover, I don't like to create additional threads on a topic when prior threads, that are still open, already exist.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:51:30 PM »

I dunno, I just find necroing kinda pointless in that situation when you just want to make a small comment like that. If the topic is relevant to modern events, yeah, but eh, necroing threads expressly to commentate is a bit dumb.

But is this not a forum where we discuss political trends? And is this not a forum where we must be serious all the time? Moreover, I don't like to create additional threads on a topic when prior threads, that are still open, already exist.

Political trends are a thing we talk about regularly, but a thread about a trend you've noticed is different from a thread about something in the then-present being necro'd without much a reason.

Idk, it feels like desecrating an old tomb, this is a decade old thread that feels coolest when it's left untouched

We're not going to agree about this, so I'm going to cease.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies