Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:00:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa  (Read 3158 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »

It is a landlocked state, lacks a large metropolitan areas (Minnesota has Minneapolis and Wisconsin has Milwaukee which are much larger than Des Moines) and is one of only a handful of states that are over 90% white so asides from tradition, is there any particular reason the Democrats are still competitive here?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »

It gets virtually zero dollars in defense spending and has no extraction (oil gas coal) industry in the state.  It's actually the second highest wind energy state (behind Texas) and generates the highest percentage of it's electricity from wind of any state by far.  High literacy and an engaged political populace helps too.  Linn/Johnson counties has a large university/IT presence and even Dubuque has a substantial IBM workforce.  IT tends to be left-center.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »

Iowa has no large metros, but it has rather a lot of people living in sizable urban cores (as well as a very large rural population - 36% as per the census bureau's definitions). It has a very small outer suburban population.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

The whole Upper Mississippi has a pretty strong Dem advantage. See similar results in SW Wisconsin and NW Illinois. Western Iowa, of course, remains a strongly GOP region.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

The whole Upper Mississippi has a pretty strong Dem advantage. See similar results in SW Wisconsin and NW Illinois. Western Iowa, of course, remains a strongly GOP region.

Any particular reason for this?  I can see why the Democrats do well in rural New England as it is a pretty liberal area throughout and I believe has very few evangelical Christians (If you exclude this group, Obama got almost 60%), whereas the percentage of white evangelicals is pretty close to the national average in this area.  The other area is the rural West Coast counties in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington where you have a strong environmental movement and alternative lifestyle attitude.  But I cannot see any particular reason in this area.  Not that I would expect it to go massively Republican as it is not in the Deep South, Plains, or Mountain West which are the only areas the GOP routinely get over 70% in rural counties, but I thought I would be similiar to rural Upstate New York or rural Michigan in terms of voting patterns. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 03:41:32 AM »

Iowa's voting patterns make a lot of sense if someone actually looks at the state and sees that it's not endless rows of cornfields but rather population-wise mostly a collection of smaller cities scattered throughout the state that are big enough to develop a cosmopolitan and intellectual culture but not large enough to develop the white flight/exurban sprawl stuff found in larger metros to a great degree. Also in contrast to stereotypes people who actually understood the state knew early on in 2008 based on some selected precincts in Des Moines and Waterloo that any hope Hillary had of making inroads with the black vote was dead.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »

Elazar's model of political culture has certain flaws imo (in how it delineates regions), but in the case of Iowa I think it does a good job at explaining some of the reasons for the difference with surrounding Plains or Southern states.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

Iowa's voting patterns make a lot of sense if someone actually looks at the state and sees that it's not endless rows of cornfields but rather population-wise mostly a collection of smaller cities scattered throughout the state that are big enough to develop a cosmopolitan and intellectual culture but not large enough to develop the white flight/exurban sprawl stuff found in larger metros to a great degree. Also in contrast to stereotypes people who actually understood the state knew early on in 2008 based on some selected precincts in Des Moines and Waterloo that any hope Hillary had of making inroads with the black vote was dead.
Iowa is still a swing state, though.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 07:01:11 AM »

Not anymore. It's fascinating to read these comments in hindsight, given how Democrats are now collapsing in the state outside of Des Moines and some of the other larger cities.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »

Not anymore. It's fascinating to read these comments in hindsight, given how Democrats are now collapsing in the state outside of Des Moines and some of the other larger cities.

Why in God's name did you feel the need to necro this?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 10:13:54 AM »

If you've noticed, I've bumped up several old threads in the past several months, to reflect on what was said in years past or to provide additional contributions. No one has said that I cannot do this.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »

If you've noticed, I've bumped up several old threads in the past several months, to reflect on what was said in years past or to provide additional contributions. No one has said that I cannot do this.

I dunno, I just find necroing kinda pointless in that situation when you just want to make a small comment like that. If the topic is relevant to modern events, yeah, but eh, necroing threads expressly to commentate is a bit dumb.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 07:14:07 PM »

I dunno, I just find necroing kinda pointless in that situation when you just want to make a small comment like that. If the topic is relevant to modern events, yeah, but eh, necroing threads expressly to commentate is a bit dumb.

But is this not a forum where we discuss political trends? And is this not a forum where we must be serious all the time? Moreover, I don't like to create additional threads on a topic when prior threads, that are still open, already exist.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »

But is this not a forum where we discuss political trends? And is this not a forum where we must be serious all the time? Moreover, I don't like to create additional threads on a topic when prior threads, that are still open, already exist.

Political trends are a thing we talk about regularly, but a thread about a trend you've noticed is different from a thread about something in the then-present being necro'd without much a reason.

Idk, it feels like desecrating an old tomb, this is a decade old thread that feels coolest when it's left untouched
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 08:51:30 PM »

Political trends are a thing we talk about regularly, but a thread about a trend you've noticed is different from a thread about something in the then-present being necro'd without much a reason.

Idk, it feels like desecrating an old tomb, this is a decade old thread that feels coolest when it's left untouched

We're not going to agree about this, so I'm going to cease.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies