How much did Bill Clinton's Campaigning help Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:48:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How much did Bill Clinton's Campaigning help Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much did Bill Clinton's Campaigning help Obama  (Read 1332 times)
WPADEM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2022, 10:25:51 PM »

Almost forgotten by history, former President Bill Clinton gave a rousing speech nominating President Obama for reelection in 2012.  Obama later remarked that Clinton was the "Secretary of Explaining Stuff."  Clinton would campaign heavily for Obama during the Fall campaign.

In the aftermath of the election, which Obama won decisively, it was one of the biggest stories of the campaign. And what the future implications might be. It made a lot of people ponder what Clinton could have done for Gore in 2000.

But how much did Bill Clinton help President Obama?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2012/09/05/a111905c-f771-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_story.html
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 11:03:42 AM »

I doubt it made much difference. The leak of Romney's "47% comment" and then Hurricane Sandy were really the defining moments.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 02:21:10 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2022, 04:54:26 PM by Bootes Void »

This was the time when most dem voters were meh about Obama but really loved Bill Clinton especially his 90s economic record
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 04:50:28 PM »

I remember that speech very well. Insane how within eight years even his own party had turned on him so much he barely got a role in the 2020 convention or campaign.

Shame.

Also yeah Gore distancing himself from Clinton and refusing to let him campaign for him is one of the greatest blunders in political history.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »

This was the time when most dem voters were meh about Obama but really Bill Clinton especially his 90s economic record

Yup, I remember those days well. Guess I'm one of the few who never really left them...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 06:58:20 PM »

In 2012, not at all. I mean what's next? He helped ALG lose by 12 instead of 20 in 2014? What a joke.

In 2008, he did a fantastic job...all with the intent of trying to help his wife...huh? No kidding.
sguberman
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »

I remember that speech very well. Insane how within eight years even his own party had turned on him so much he barely got a role in the 2020 convention or campaign.

Shame.

Also yeah Gore distancing himself from Clinton and refusing to let him campaign for him is one of the greatest blunders in political history.
According to Lucky: How Joe Biden Barely Won the Presidency even Biden was reluctant to have Clinton speak
Redban

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:36:40 AM »

I remember watching that speech live. I think the speech really helped Obama. Clinton got a clear, decisive speech loaded with stats about jobs and the economy. At the time, Bill Clinton was still associated with the 1990s prosperity, a big difference from the sluggish economy of 2012.

There was talk then that the DNC could showcase Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, and Al Gore (5 big political names). On the RNC side, they couldn't showcase Bush because he was still unpopular, and they really didn't have any big political names outside of maybe John McCain
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies