Issues Where You are Totally Out of the Mainstream in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:52:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Issues Where You are Totally Out of the Mainstream in America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Issues Where You are Totally Out of the Mainstream in America  (Read 7988 times)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »

1. Welfare.  I prefer a much larger welfare state, comparable to Scandinavia.
2. Higher education.  People think I'm crazy when I say that higher education should be available for free.
3. Taxes.  I'd like a tax system that goes up to 65-70% at least for those earning 2 billion a year or more.  Crazy, most say. 
4. Minimum wage.  Raise it to the cost of living.  Maybe not that out of the mainstream on that issue.
5. Electoral reform.  Most liberals just want to scrap the electoral college.  My dream: scrap the Senate, get a bigger House of Representatives, elect it by MMPR, and make it a parliamentary system.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »

1. Welfare.  I prefer a much larger welfare state, comparable to Scandinavia.
2. Higher education.  People think I'm crazy when I say that higher education should be available for free.
3. Taxes.  I'd like a tax system that goes up to 65-70% at least for those earning 2 billion a year or more.  Crazy, most say. 
4. Minimum wage.  Raise it to the cost of living.  Maybe not that out of the mainstream on that issue.
5. Electoral reform.  Most liberals just want to scrap the electoral college.  My dream: scrap the Senate, get a bigger House of Representatives, elect it by MMPR, and make it a parliamentary system.

I agree with all of these positions, though abolishing the Senate would be impossible, politically.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

*drools*
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

I believe in using the American military not only to defend American interests, but also to advance them. My liberal friends say that is fascism, which is far too narrow...considering that I am not a nationalist or a social authoritarian by any means.

However, I believe in reforming the penal system into a labor system. I don't believe there is any use in letting violent criminals (because I don't believe in incarcerating non-violent criminals) idle on the taxpayer dollar for x amount of years. I'm talking along the lines of community service, not labor for the sake of laboring.

On the other side of things, I support the complete repeal of all drug laws and sin taxes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »

Well, I about choked and laughed at the same time when I saw "monarchist" in the OP - perhaps that means something else in the USA, but anyway. . .

1) Closing about 75% of overseas military bases and greatly reducing foreign aid
2) Legalizing, controlling, and taxing Marijuana
3) More progressive tax system - 75% at the very top
4) End the death penalty - life sentence the max

1 and 2 are probably not nearly as far out of the mainstream as 3 and 4.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »

Well, I about choked and laughed at the same time when I saw "monarchist" in the OP - perhaps that means something else in the USA, but anyway. . .

1) Closing about 75% of overseas military bases and greatly reducing foreign aid

none of those are actually out of the mainstream as far as public opinion goes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »

I hope you're right; I think it depends on region - but I don't think it's mainstream to end the death penalty, although it's an issue that hasn't come up much recently nationally.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

I'm vastly out of step for my 'latte liberal' set in Australia by supporting the Constitutional Monarchy. It's not a passionate view by any means... but it's probably the biggest difference.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »

I hope you're right; I think it depends on region - but I don't think it's mainstream to end the death penalty, although it's an issue that hasn't come up much recently nationally.

if you look at national polling repealing the bush tax cuts, legalizing marijuana (even rasmussen put this number at 56%), and ending the death penalty (if life without parole is included in the question - that seems to result in dramatically different numbers) all either poll at a majority or are at least represent 4 in 10 americans. as far as military spending goes your number is much more drastic than most, yet a majority supports cutting defense spending by at least 15% now. i suspect your position would poll much higher if people actually knew what the us spends on defense...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »

Here are a few where I feel out of the mainstream:

1. Opposing abortion without exception for rape or incest (it exploits women by suggesting that men can sexually abuse them without any non-legal consequences.)
2. Ban gay marriage but allow civil unions with equal benefits (as well as possibly some sort of union for polygamy, etc.)
3. Keep the minimum wage the same (no increases or decreases--I believe in a fair and decent wage, but if it's too high it hurts growth and can lead to job losses)
4. Removing Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid from government control, but establishing an emergency fund to protect them in a crisis

I'm sure I could think of others, but this is a partial list.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »

1. Opposing abortion without exception for rape or incest (it exploits women by suggesting that men can sexually abuse them without any non-legal consequences.)
2. Ban gay marriage but allow civil unions with equal benefits (as well as possibly some sort of union for polygamy, etc.)
3. Keep the minimum wage the same (no increases or decreases--I believe in a fair and decent wage, but if it's too high it hurts growth and can lead to job losses)
4. Removing Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid from government control, but establishing an emergency fund to protect them in a crisis

Oldies, I'm pretty sure that 1 & 3 are pretty mainstream.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »

Oldies, I'm pretty sure that 1 & 3 are pretty mainstream.
o
On 1, I do support allowing abortion to save the life of the mother.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

I prefer Canada's health care system to Obamacare, but I liked pre-Obamacare U.S. health care more than the Canadian system.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 05:41:47 PM by Simfan34 »

What are some issues where you would be considered a nut in the USA?

Ex: I am a monarchist and I want to restrict divorce again.

Me too!

Let's see. Well, I want to build lots of infrastructure that most casual observers would likely deem wasteful, and probably quite a few studies would end up agreeing with them. A tunnel across the Strait of Juan de Fuca, for one thing. A bridge across Boston Harbour. A high speed rail line from New York to Scranton. Google searches have shown that no one has actually ever bothered to think of these things, actually. I'm also down for expanding projects just for the sake of record-making; that is to say, needlessly making bridges longer, trains faster, tunnels deeper, all for the sake of the "x-est in the world" moniker.

Like DC Al Fine, I'm very hostile to divorce; I regard it as a far greater threat to "traditional marriage" than gay marriage. I think the government should make a concerted effort to reduce the number of divorces.

Also like him, I am an ardent monarchist, but I think that's more of an external thing. I don't see any people I'd be willing to have as my Emperor (of course, the United States deserves to be more than a mere Kingdom!) on the political stage, so my monarchism takes the form of support for existing monarchies elsewhere and agitating for the restoration of former monarchies. If you could point me to a potential American Emperor, please do.

I'm more than willing to have a great expansion of government monitoring, but not in the private sector. I'm firmly in the camp that believes that "you have nothing to fear if you do no wrong". I think that concern over misuse are ill-conceived; intelligence observation isn't going to cause a dictatorship to emerge overnight. I'd like some kind of Federal Police, more police on the streets, a visible, constant presence that is centrally controlled and overseen. I'm all for internet controls, copyright protections and things like SOPA and PIPA, not just out of spite for the internet but because I think it's actually helpful for musicmakers and the like.

This is mostly out of the right wing "mainstream": I'm in favour of a lot more federal government control of things. Federally mandated curricula, less state policing control. funding for the arts, I'd likely use have arts funding to push my traditionalist agenda- more funding for museums, patronage for organizations like the Grand Central Academy and the Institute for Classical Architecture while no monies to post-modern things, nothing to the Hirsts or the Colemans of the art world. I'm open to a healthcare mandate, something more like the Heritage Foundation proposal in the 90s although, not Obamacare. Oh, and I'm all for restricting gun ownership except for the rich. You know, in the eventuality a class war were to break out. I think an assets or salary requirement would do the trick, plus the usual mental and background checks.

I'm generally a lot more skeptical of the whole democratic process than most people, I would take no issue with not voting and having the country run by a bunch of experts. Perhaps I just unconsciously assume that one day I'll get to be one of the experts, but I do honestly think that the debate between "big" government and "small" government is misguided. The goal should be efficient government, or "smart" government as today's jargon would have us call it. Putting a mass of highly uneducated people (i.e., voters) in the position of choosing manipulative egoists (i.e., politicians) to run the country is the exact opposite of efficiency. If or until the people become more educated, and the politicians less self-motivated, and I'm not sure which one is less plausible, I'm very much open to imposing a citizenship-style test to determine if one is acquainted enough with the political structure and important issues of the to day as a requirement to give a person a say in the running of the country.

Also, I'm eager to see a return of formality in manners, conduct, dress, society, and so forth, but I think that's less political than it is cultural.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

Is that fascism? More government control, less democracy, an Emperor, much more federal control, and a police state. Isn't it?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »

where has this monarchist revival on atlas crawled out from? i thought there was a consensus that it's ineffectual and pointless.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 06:35:44 PM by realisticidealist »

Totally out of the mainstream?

1. Divorce should be banned or heavily restricted to cases of abuse and possibly infidelity. Marriages should have a six-month waiting period with mandatory couples' counseling requirements.

2. Alcohol and tobacco should be banned outright. Marijuana should stay banned. No prison sentences, but mandatory rehabilitation (unless they continue repeatedly).

3. Like Simfan, I'd prefer a technocratic state somewhat like China with a unitary government ran by experts (eg engineers, economists, doctors, etc.) under a single head of state. No elections. Positions are hired like a business with harsh penalties for anything less than a meritocratic selection process. Efficiency, efficacy, and the maximization of welfare should be top priorities. Unlike Simfan, I do not think that the rich should be exalted but rather the intelligent.

3a. Failing this, the electoral college should be abolished and a unicameral parliamentary system using national proportional representation should be adopted. Majority government has near absolute power.

4. Open borders.

5. Repeal of the tenth amendment. Gradual destruction of the "state" as a political unit until it resembles what counties do now (state meaning subnational unit).

6. Annexation of Canada and Mexico. Eventually cede the nation to a world government.

None of this will ever happen though. Just ideal world stuff. Any actual proposal I'd make would be much more moderate than these. Smiley

EDIT: I forgot a couple.

7. Federally-funded (or jointly-funded) construction of multiple launch loops and/or space elevators capable of lifting hundreds or thousands of vessels per day for the purpose of drastically reducing the cost of reaching space by lessening the need for fuel for escape velocity (all ran by NASA). Powered by solar panels, new dams, and wind farms near newly constructed Brasilia-esque cities on the Plains and elsewhere which serve as "harbors". Creation of multiple public and private (though thoroughly regulated) "spacelines" to facilitate the opening of space to development and the average person. Private companies could fund their own space stations or lunar bases while NASA continues its own exploration and colonization endeavors on the Moon and Mars and beyond. Eventual terraforming of Mars. Tickets and licensing produces some revenue for the government.

8. Gradual abolition of all fossil fuels as energy sources.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »

Totally out of the mainstream?

1. Divorce should be banned or heavily restricted to cases of abuse and possibly infidelity. Marriages should have a six-month waiting period with mandatory couples' counseling requirements.

2. Alcohol and tobacco should be banned outright. Marijuana should stay banned. No prison sentences, but mandatory rehabilitation (unless they continue repeatedly).

3. Like Simfan, I'd prefer a technocratic state somewhat like China with a unitary government ran by experts (eg engineers, economists, doctors, etc.) under a single head of state. No elections. Positions are hired like a business with harsh penalties for anything less than a meritocratic selection process. Efficiency, efficacy, and the maximization of welfare should be top priorities. Unlike Simfan, I do not think that the rich should be exalted but rather the intelligent.

3a. Failing this, the electoral college should be abolished and a unicameral parliamentary system using national proportional representation should be adopted. Majority government has near absolute power.

4. Open borders.

5. Repeal of the tenth amendment. Gradual destruction of the "state" as a political unit until it resembles what counties do now (state meaning subnational unit).

6. Annexation of Canada and Mexico. Eventually cession of nation to world government.

None of this will ever happen though. Just ideal world stuff. Any actual proposal I'd make would be much more moderate than these. Smiley

oh man
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »

What the heck does that even mean?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »

1. Puerto Rican statehood, as well as eventual Canadian/Mexican statehood after a sufficient period of territory status where the countries can be Americanized and in Mexico at least nation building and corruption/cartel destruction/teaching English, etc. Yes, I'm an Imperialist.

2. Prison should be turned into hard labor, they can help rebuild the interstate/road/bridge system, urban areas, etc.

3. Welfare reform where it's more to help out lower earning people who are actually trying to make a living but just can't make enough. If you're just a lazy bum/leeching off the system you get put into another category where you can help with the work above. You'll be provided with food/shelter/cloths and all the basics but you will have nothing else but that. A fair amount of people would quickly get jobs, and at least the rest are providing for society.

4. Abolishment of labor unions tied in with an increase in punishments for business that break labor laws.

5. Leaving the UN, or at the very least stop funding them until the whole thing is reformed/all the dictators and non-free states get removed.

6. Increase in funding to help rebuild the road system in the US. It saves money in the long run even though it will cost a lot.

7. Restriction on marriage by removing no fault divorce. Basically you can still get a divorce whenever you want, except if you are the one that cheated/etc you are the one that gets screwed and if it would just be a mutual thing then the person who actually makes the money doesn't get screwed by losing almost everything.

8. Banning gay marriage but allowing civil unions/adoption/open military service/etc

9. Increase funding for stem cell research/environmental research combined with increase in offshore drilling/drilling in ANWR.

10. Banning abortions except in the case of rape/incest and no public funding for any abortions that happen.

11. Destroy "states rights", they're just the subdivisions of the nation to better help administer the rule of law.

12. Complete the Mexican border fence, deport all illegal aliens. Allow more legal immigration however by a lot. No more anchor babies, if you're here illegally your kids don't gain citizenship, that only happens for citizens.

13. Increase funding for NASA/space elevator/moon bases.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »

I sometimes think about killing people.

Sometimes.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »

And I thought his logic stream on the GOP and race was a stagnant swamp...
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

Wow, a lot of you have very limited definitions of "mainstream".

2 is a view held by a plurality of Americans (in polls between marriage equality/civil unions but not marriage/no recognition of same-sex relationships second option almost always wins) and 3 is not really controversial at all.

1. Puerto Rican statehood, as well as eventual Canadian/Mexican statehood after a sufficient period of territory status where the countries can be Americanized and in Mexico at least nation building and corruption/cartel destruction/teaching English, etc. Yes, I'm an Imperialist.

6. Increase in funding to help rebuild the road system in the US. It saves money in the long run even though it will cost a lot.

8. Banning gay marriage but allowing civil unions/adoption/open military service/etc

9. Increase funding for stem cell research/environmental research combined with increase in offshore drilling/drilling in ANWR.

10. Banning abortions except in the case of rape/incest and no public funding for any abortions that happen.

12. Complete the Mexican border fence, deport all illegal aliens. Allow more legal immigration however by a lot. No more anchor babies, if you're here illegally your kids don't gain citizenship, that only happens for citizens.

These are all positions held by 45-55% of Americans.

The second part of 1 is something most Americans agree with, the 2nd and 4th probably about 40-50% agree with depending on the state which is not really "out of the mainstream".

Maybe it's just me, but when I think "out of the mainstream" I think things like monarchism, world government, or banning the eating of meat, not just things that make you a standard liberal/conservative.
t_host1

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »

The individual/employee should pay for their unemployment, social, medical and workers comp. insurances so to legitimately collect said benefits.

College's pay off (sued for) the national debt; the elected chairs of leadership are college'd certified to be edukated.

We, the USA are a constitutional republic, not, a democracy!

Gay marrage is a myth of nature.

Life, liberty and the pursuit for happiness will return the Obama Ideals' to the depths of hell, its birth place.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies