Wisconsin Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:18:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread  (Read 284125 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »

Saw this in a Walker fundraiser email. I'm pretty sure this is a core plank of his reelection strategy. Just rile up the people that were always going to vote for him anyway with caricatures of latte-sipping, kale-eating, pink-hat-wearing, angry Madison liberals.

No way that could possibly backfire in a place where those very people can out-vote the entire rest of the state.
umm.. what?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1926 on: May 20, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »

Saw this in a Walker fundraiser email. I'm pretty sure this is a core plank of his reelection strategy. Just rile up the people that were always going to vote for him anyway with caricatures of latte-sipping, kale-eating, pink-hat-wearing, angry Madison liberals.

No way that could possibly backfire in a place where those very people can out-vote the entire rest of the state.
This looks like a typical fundraising email for any candidate ever. This isn't news.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1927 on: May 20, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »

This looks like a typical fundraising email for any candidate ever. This isn't news.

It isn't necessarily news, but it's interesting to share as it is representing of a larger concept, that being his idiotic strategy that just attacking imaginary "whiny Madison libturds" over and over again will carry him to victory.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1928 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:56 AM »

Mitchell losing the primary will be monumental WRT just how far Big Labor (a term I, of course, use in jest) has fallen as the most potent electoral force in a state like Wisconsin. Shameful!

I’d argue that it’s more that Evers is a much stronger candidate.  Mitchell would’ve been better off biding his time WRT a statewide run.  OTOH, he’s in danger of reaching “has been that never was” status, so maybe he felt it was now or never.  I just think he got unlucky.  A much better test will be whether 1) Walker loses and 2) if so, to what extent organized labor plays a decisive role in his defeat.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1929 on: May 21, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »

Evers, is right now, the Democrats' best bet to defeat Scott Walker.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1930 on: May 21, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »

Mitchell is screwed in the primary since his natural base in the city won't show up for a primary.

Madison is going to turn out regardless of who the candidate is, and way more people are going to turn out for Mitchell in Milwaukee than Evers.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1931 on: May 21, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 07:34:11 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

We obviously don't have much good polling coming out of the state for the primary, but my impression is that this is very much a race between Evers and Mitchell. Soglin isn't taking it seriously and Vinehout/Wachs don't seem to be gaining much traction. I'm not sure that Soglin will actually end up carrying Dane, but if he does, Mitchell carries Milwaukee, and Evers crushes it everywhere else, would that be the first time that the Democratic nominee for governor won the primary without carrying either Dane or Milwaukee?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #1932 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »

Remember when everybody was into Vinehout lmao
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1933 on: May 21, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »

Mitchell would very likely energize black turnout in Milwaukee plus high turnout Madison is a good recipe for victory. Even if he loses to Walker it would be beneficial to Baldwin to have better turnout out of Milwaukee.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1934 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »

Mitchell would very likely energize black turnout in Milwaukee plus high turnout Madison is a good recipe for victory. Even if he loses to Walker it would be beneficial to Baldwin to have better turnout out of Milwaukee.

Good luck with that one.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1935 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »

Anybody WI posters have a good read on the two June special elections approaching? Cursory glance indicates that Dems have decent candidates in both.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1936 on: May 21, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

Good luck with that one.

Black voters in Milwaukee haven't been great on turnout from the Nobama effect. Hard to blame them though. They already are trying so hard to just exist so it's hard to focus on midterm elections at the same time.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1937 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »

Good luck with that one.

I find it hard to believe black voters wouldn't be enthused at the chance to elect the first black Governor in Wisconsin. Also I'm supportive of more dynamic candidates winning primaries than old white guys because the party desperately need to build its bench. Mitchell should he win would be a star and would be a good candidate for other offices in the future.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1938 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:07 PM »

Evers has won statewide multiple times and I hate candidates that only appeal to the base like Mitchell.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1939 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »

Anybody WI posters have a good read on the two June special elections approaching? Cursory glance indicates that Dems have decent candidates in both.

Caleb Frostman is running in the special election for the 1st State Senate district. He's the Door County Economic Development Corporation’s Executive Director, as well as an avid hunter and Packers fan. The 1st State Senate district went for Trump 56-39 in 2016, and the then-incumbent Republican won 62-38 in 2014.

Here is his website.

And here is an ad of his that I like.

Ann Groves Lloyd is a self-described fish fry lover and dog mom, and an alderwoman on the Lodi Common Council. She comes from a farming family, and her grandfather and great-uncle both served in the state government as Progressives. She's running in the 42nd State Assembly district. In 2016 the district went for Trump 55-40 and the Republican incumbent won 59-41.

Here is her website.

And here is an ad of hers that I like.

They both seem like decent and capable candidates, though I don't know anything about their Republican opponents nor if they can overcome their districts' partisan leans. Then again, if we're going off what Patty Schachtner showed us earlier this year, I'd say they have a decent chance at pulling it off.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1940 on: May 21, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »

Good luck with that one.

I find it hard to believe black voters wouldn't be enthused at the chance to elect the first black Governor in Wisconsin. Also I'm supportive of more dynamic candidates winning primaries than old white guys because the party desperately need to build its bench. Mitchell should he win would be a star and would be a good candidate for other offices in the future.

Fair, but I'd rather elect someone with the best chance of winning. Besides, we could still have a young African-American on the ticket in Mandela Barnes, who's running for Lieutenant Governor.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1941 on: May 21, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »

Energizing the black base of 6.6% is clearly a far better strategy than trying to win over the 80% of white voters
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1942 on: May 22, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »

Good luck with that one.

Fair, but I'd rather elect someone with the best chance of winning. Besides, we could still have a young African-American on the ticket in Mandela Barnes, who's running for Lieutenant Governor.

It's not like Mandela Barnes isn't anything other than a Chris Larson puppet anyways.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1943 on: May 22, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »

Good luck with that one.

It's not like Mandela Barnes isn't anything other than a Chris Larson puppet anyways.

Shhhh he fulfills the identity quota, he's good enough.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1944 on: May 22, 2018, 10:22:37 PM »

Good luck with that one.

Here we go with the box-checking crap that led to 2016.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1945 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »

!!!

Foxconn to cut back initial investment in $10bn Wisconsin plant
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1946 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »

This'll roll over well.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1947 on: May 23, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1948 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »

Soglin is a no go. He strikes me as a potential power hungry tyrant in the mold of Hugo Chavez. The homeless thing really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Mitchell definitely has my vote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1949 on: May 23, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

Soglin is a no go. He strikes me as a potential power hungry tyrant in the mold of Hugo Chavez. The homeless thing really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Mitchell definitely has my vote.

I mean Soglin is horrible for a variety of reasons but comparing him to Hugo Freaking Chavez seems a stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies