Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 05:28:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports  (Read 2683 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/14/Unions-May-Kill-Off-The-Twinkie

You must be logged in to read this quote.

happy now, LIEberals?!
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »

Now, as ridiculous as the notion of striking workers ending a company entirely is, I can't exactly say I'm going to shed a tear for the death of the Twinkie. America may just get the slightest bit thinner for it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

Hostess Brands has been at death's door for a while now, and the only thing that would happen if it died off is that its brands would be replaced in what markets it still has with other brands and/or the brands would be bought by other bakeries during liquidation.  Note tat I said the bands would be bought, not the bakeries.  The slim profit margins and overcapacity in the bakery industry essentially means that these workers have killed off their jobs.  It might take a few months for the new owners to start distributing the brands from their own existing facilities, but the Twinkie will endure.  So will Wonder Bread, especially if Bimbo, which already owns the Wonder trademark in Mexico, buys the US rights to the name.  I just hope Zingers survive.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »

Is that something anyone actually says outside of parodying the right-wing?  Or is it a freeper thing?

it's annoying.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »

Is that something anyone actually says outside of parodying the right-wing?  Or is it a freeper thing?

it's annoying.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Lieberal
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »

Anyway, it's official.  Hostess Brands is closing down and entering liquidation.  If the unions thought management were bluffing here, they were sadly mistaken.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/

Quote from: Restricted
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

I'm angry - Twinkies are/were one of my favorite snacks. Sad
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

Now conservative bloggers have nothing to eat while they type angry posts multiple times a day.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »

Conservative bloggers were more likely to be eating Little Debbies anyway. Tongue
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »

Put a poll up on Off-topic as to which product people will miss most.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »

The strike probably put the company over the edge, but they've been on death's door for a while now. A more health conscious America reduced the demand for their products, their management was awful (80% exec pay raises anybody), and they had outstanding loans.

America's waistbands are cheering; America's heart is weeping.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »

Anyway, it's official.  Hostess Brands is closing down and entering liquidation.  If the unions thought management were bluffing here, they were sadly mistaken.

Yeah, I bet those union employees are wishing they hadn't voted to go on strike now.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »

Yeah, I bet those union employees are wishing they hadn't voted to go on strike now.

If a strike is all it takes to force a company to shutter its doors, than I dare say the future prospects for said company were pretty terrible in the first place. Those employees might still have their jobs, but certainly not for much longer.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

If a strike is all it takes to force a company to shutter its doors, than I dare say the future prospects for said company were pretty terrible in the first place. Those employees might still have their jobs, but certainly not for much longer.

It depends.  If the company views them as unwilling to take pay cuts, not much is going to help.  Not that executives should be exempt either.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »

It depends.  If the company views them as unwilling to take pay cuts, not much is going to help.  Not that executives should be exempt either.

The head of the company told CNBC that even if employees accepted concessions, the company is still finished. That suggests that, even with employees back at full steam, the company would continue to operate at a loss. It's a convenient excuse to cash out of the business before there's nothing left to cash out.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »

The company likely wants to kill the union, and they gave them an offer they had to refuse. Now they'll just liquidate, the owners and shareholders will get richer, and someone else will pick it up with a chance to be non-union. Got to love the USA. Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »

The company likely wants to kill the union, and they gave them an offer they had to refuse. Now they'll just liquidate, the owners and shareholders will get richer, and someone else will pick it up with a chance to be non-union. Got to love the USA. Smiley

Actually, it probably was a case of the management wanting to kill the company.  Hostess Brands corporate and labor structure was riddled with tons of inefficiency because it was created from buying up various smaller bakeries and consolidating them.  That's why they had twelve different unions to deal with and multiple legacy benefit systems.  Plus the facilities in many cases were antiquated.  Few, if any, of the bakeries they ran will be reopening even after the assets are sold, and the same with the distribution centers.  There is sufficient spare capacity elsewhere for whoever buys the brands to start making the products without reopening the facilities Hostess used.

Even if management had killed the unions, they still would have had the infrastructure problems.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

it's annoying.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Lieberal

I'm surprised the idiots knew what a portmanteau was....
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »

The company tripled CEO pay in 2011. They're just using the union strike as a scapegoat.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »

Now conservative bloggers have nothing to eat while they type angry posts multiple times a day.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 02:26:51 AM »

The company tripled CEO pay in 2011. They're just using the union strike as a scapegoat.

how many CEOs are there vs. how many union members?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:23 AM »

I think it's absurd to require employees to take a pay cut while executives increase their pay by such a substantial margin. If workers take a pay cut, executives should at least take the same pay cut, if not more. It seems obvious to me that the executives scapegoated the unions while their own inept leadership is what actually led to the company's demise.
rwoy
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »

Hi guys ... reality here .... yellow cake filled with cream isn't disappearing.  If there is a demand for it, someone will make it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

Hi guys ... reality here .... yellow cake filled with cream isn't disappearing.  If there is a demand for it, someone will make it.

Most of us here are far more concerned about the 18,000 jobs lost than temporarily not being able to get Twinkies.
rwoy
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2012, 08:44:51 PM by rwoy »

Hi guys ... reality here .... yellow cake filled with cream isn't disappearing.  If there is a demand for it, someone will make it.

Most of us here are far more concerned about the 18,000 jobs lost than temporarily not being able to get Twinkies.

Hmm ... well, I assume that even if you remove the Hostess products Americans will still need to eat.  So odds are the competitors will pick up that business, necessitating that they expand their output to meet the increase in demand.  Odds are, baked goods won't be manufactured in China and shipped to the USA so this leads me to believe that a good # of these 18,000 will be hired by the competition.  So excuse me if I don't lament this one too much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies