What Happened to all the Political Moderates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:52:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What Happened to all the Political Moderates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What Happened to all the Political Moderates?  (Read 13645 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 04:50:10 PM »

Did someone seriously just unironically cite a Political Compass chart?

LMAO

If by "just" you mean 4 and half years ago, then yeah.

Well the PC charts were just as much nonsense back then too.

...Yeah, you completely missed my point. Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »

You're on fire with the great posts, Goldwater.

I fell in to a burnin' ring of fire
I went down, down, down
And the flames went higher
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »

We went through the looking glass and found out most of the moderates were really extremists of an ideology Americans call "moderate" and many of the extremists were actually rather moderate.
servo75
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 01:01:59 AM »

Yeah I'd ask the same thing about Bernie.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 05:26:29 AM »

Yeah, LBJ was a left-liberal not a moderate. Like Obama, JFK or FDR. You can count Billy and Truman as moderate liberals.

As already pointed out, most moderates are now in the Democratic Party since the GOP was sadly taken over by the religious right, science deniers, tea-party hacks and hardcore neocons. And now by nationalist right-wing populists and bigots alà Bannon. The GOP moderates remain at the state and local levels in more liberal states to be competitive. See Charlie Baker, Larry Logan or Arnold Schwarzenegger. They are definitely moderates.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »

Yeah, LBJ was a left-liberal not a moderate. Like Obama, JFK or FDR. You can count Billy and Truman as moderate liberals.

As already pointed out, most moderates are now in the Democratic Party since the GOP was sadly taken over by the religious right, science deniers, tea-party hacks and hardcore neocons. And now by nationalist right-wing populists and bigots alà Bannon. The GOP moderates remain at the state and local levels in more liberal states to be competitive. See Charlie Baker, Larry Logan or Arnold Schwarzenegger. They are definitely moderates.

Democratic Governors who are moderate:
John Bel Edwards, Jim Justice

Republican Governors who are moderate:
Charlie Baker, Brian Sandoval, Larry Hogan, John Kasich, Phil Scott, Chris Sununu, Bruce Rauner,, Chris Christie(?)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »

Here is a list of most of the current Republicans in Congress who I am comfortable describing as moderate.
Senators: Susan Collins, John Hoeven, Lisa Murkowski, Lamar Alexander, Shelley Capito, Thad Cochran.
Representatives: Don Young, David Valadao, Vern Buchanan, Mario Diaz-Balart, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Rodney Davis, Adam Kinzinger, Fred Upton, Mark Amodei, Frank LoBiondo, Christopher Smith, Leonard Lance, Rodney Freylinghuysen, Peter King, Tom Reed, Mike Turner, David Joyce, Steve Stivers, James Renacci, Greg Walden, Mike Kelly, Glenn Thompson, Patrick Meehan, Tom Marino, Lou Barletta, Charlie Dent, Tim Murphy, Jaime Herrera Beutler, Dave Reichert.

If I gave myself some more time, I could think of a few more.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »

Here is a list of most of the current Republicans in Congress who I am comfortable describing as moderate.
Senators: Susan Collins, John Hoeven, Lisa Murkowski, Lamar Alexander, Shelley Capito, Thad Cochran.
Representatives: Don Young, David Valadao, Vern Buchanan, Mario Diaz-Balart, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Rodney Davis, Adam Kinzinger, Fred Upton, Mark Amodei, Frank LoBiondo, Christopher Smith, Leonard Lance, Rodney Freylinghuysen, Peter King, Tom Reed, Mike Turner, David Joyce, Steve Stivers, James Renacci, Greg Walden, Mike Kelly, Glenn Thompson, Patrick Meehan, Tom Marino, Lou Barletta, Charlie Dent, Tim Murphy, Jaime Herrera Beutler, Dave Reichert.

If I gave myself some more time, I could think of a few more.

The fact of the matter is there are more Republican moderates in the House than Democratic moderates.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »

Democratic Governors who are moderate:
John Bel Edwards, Jim Justice

Republican Governors who are moderate:
Charlie Baker, Brian Sandoval, Larry Hogan, John Kasich, Phil Scott, Chris Sununu, Bruce Rauner,, Chris Christie(?)

I would actually add Snyder to that list. He's definitely closer to the center than the State GOP.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »

Well, for that matter, Bullock, J. Brown, and B. Walker are all more moderate than Snyder. Carney, Cuomo, and Cooper, as well as Snyder, Haslam, and Hutchinson are all right on the border of being moderates.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies