Southern white Democrats in deep south state legislatures
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:28:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Southern white Democrats in deep south state legislatures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Southern white Democrats in deep south state legislatures  (Read 4432 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

Jason Carter, by the way, is the grandson on Jimmy Carter.  Seems to be a rising start within the Senate - I could definitely see him making a stab for leader in a few years.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 01:10:18 AM »

Yeah)) Miles - how do you explain such deep conservatism of Guillory and Brown? Their ratings are at least as high (sometimes -  higher) then Nevers's  or Smith's. IMHO - only Fannin may "compete" with them (sometimes - Danahay, Thibaut and Ward as well, but not always)

As I said, I'm by no means an expert on LA legislative politics, but I know that there are some conservatives who are just very loyal to the Democratic Party.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 02:01:52 AM »

Jason Carter, by the way, is the grandson on Jimmy Carter.  Seems to be a rising start within the Senate - I could definitely see him making a stab for leader in a few years.

I'd love for him to move to Plains and primary Bishop in the 2nd.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 02:27:43 AM »

And almost surely lose? He is white and district is substantially majority-black. I remember a lot of fuss about "white carpetbagger" Cohen representing black-majority district in Tennessee. It subsided somewhat as of late, but it was LOUD....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:44 AM »

Yeah)) Miles - how do you explain such deep conservatism of Guillory and Brown? Their ratings are at least as high (sometimes -  higher) then Nevers's  or Smith's. IMHO - only Fannin may "compete" with them (sometimes - Danahay, Thibaut and Ward as well, but not always)

As I said, I'm by no means an expert on LA legislative politics, but I know that there are some conservatives who are just very loyal to the Democratic Party.

I understand. What surprises me - a level of economical conservatism of these Louisiana's black legislators. Social conservatism among "rural blacks" is rather frequent thing, but over 90 ratings from Business organization is a rarity)))
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06:06 AM »

I can easily do maps of anything Georgia-related. What would you like?
danny
Israel

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »

Jason Carter, by the way, is the grandson on Jimmy Carter.  Seems to be a rising start within the Senate - I could definitely see him making a stab for leader in a few years.

And almost surely lose? He is white and district is substantially majority-black. I remember a lot of fuss about "white carpetbagger" Cohen representing black-majority district in Tennessee. It subsided somewhat as of late, but it was LOUD....

Cohen had black challengers in the last three democratic primaries and won them with 79, 79, and 89 percent of the vote, so this might not be the best example.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

Jason Carter, by the way, is the grandson on Jimmy Carter.  Seems to be a rising start within the Senate - I could definitely see him making a stab for leader in a few years.

Cohen had black challengers in the last three democratic primaries and won them with 79, 79, and 89 percent of the vote, so this might not be the best example.

I knew that before you wrote it. But he won his first campaign because he was essentially the only white candidate against 10+ black ones. And even later, while winning primaries handily (but usually - against faulty opponents) - the grumbling persisted...
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »

yea the whole South is just sad at this point.. and the national Dems don't even seem to care, they just laugh or write it off.. ditto with local GA politics, close to rock bottom.. not to mention state parties don't have that much cash.

just take a look at recent senate "nominees" Al Gore in MS (82 year old), Alvin Greene in SC (wacky plant), and Mark Clayton in TN (wacky). it's just a joke.. Dems also didn't really compete for the GA senate in 10, the MS gov seat in 11 (the "Democrats goal is too kill children" guy won) and Louisiana gov same.   

There was also that guy with no website who was a racist that got the AR-4 dem nom (Gene Jeffress).. I mean this kind of stuff should never even happen.

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »

don't see that happening, not to mention he has stuck his roots and his base in Atlanta.. he wants DPG power not going to congress

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 11:20:57 PM »

yea the whole South is just sad at this point.. and the national Dems don't even seem to care, they just laugh or write it off.. ditto with local GA politics, close to rock bottom.. not to mention state parties don't have that much cash.

just take a look at recent senate "nominees" Al Gore in MS (82 year old), Alvin Greene in SC (wacky plant), and Mark Clayton in TN (wacky). it's just a joke.. Dems also didn't really compete for the GA senate in 10, the MS gov seat in 11 (the "Democrats goal is too kill children" guy won) and Louisiana gov same.   

There was also that guy with no website who was a racist that got the AR-4 dem nom (Gene Jeffress).. I mean this kind of stuff should never even happen.

Why not??? If most of HIS voters are racist too, for example.. I was never a big fan of George Wallace, but always supported his statement, explaining why he ran as racist in 1962 and actively thought black votes in 1982. Approximately so: "Alabama was mostly racist in 1962 - so was George Wallace. Now it changed - so did George Wallace"))))
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies