Most shocking election outcomes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:59:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Most shocking election outcomes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most shocking election outcomes  (Read 9667 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 21, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
« edited: November 22, 2012, 01:50:18 PM by Badger »

For me it was Ben Chandler losing after surviving 2010. I guess I didn't realize how bad he was gerrymandered this time around.

EDIT: He was (supposedly) HELPED by Democratic redistricting! Yeah, definitely a surprise.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »

Heh.

Now, now--he did win VA (sort of). And TX too IIRC?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »

Heh.

Now, now--he did win VA (sort of). And TX too IIRC?

I presume you are being sarcastic here.  The South is pretty solidly Republican so it would be a shocker for him not win.  Bill Clinton who was from the South was the last Democrat to be competitive in the South and Jimmy Carter (another Southerner) was the last Democrat to actually win the South in 1976.  I think the fact Obama won Virginia and Florida both nominally southern states (They were both confederate states in the civil war) is more amazing, otherwise Al Gore a white southerner couldn't carry a southern state (unless you consider Delaware and Maryland as southern states) and neither could Kerry a White Northeasterner, whereas an African-American with a Muslim sounding name (I know he is not Muslim, but his middle name Hussein is generally a Muslim name) could win two former confederate states.  I think part of that is changing demographics in two states, but I think Obama also realized the South Atlantic, not the Mid South or Gulf States was where the Democrats had the most potential whereas prior to him many Democrats focused on states that historically went Democrat and ignored trends. 

I BELIEVE Ben Kenobi & I were referring to Romney's poor performance in southern PRIMARIES.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies