Why Mitt Romney Lost
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:31:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Mitt Romney Lost
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why Mitt Romney Lost  (Read 3628 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

Yeah, but the real question for 2016 is whether Obama's coalition turns out for all future democratic candidates or whether his coalition recedes back into the shadows with a Biden or Clinton candidacy.  I also wonder if the black vote holds up for say the fake Obama down in Texas, Julian Castro.  By the way, are there any VP's who have lost their party's nomination once they chose to run?

My hunch is that Obama built a coalition for himself and that it won't be nearly as strong in the next election, especially when faced with a Rubio/Martinez (or vice versa).

I agree. I think the coalition is Obama's coalition, not the Democrat's.

What you geniuses fail to note is a black candidate isn't necessarily going to get non-white cred automatically among Hispanic voters. That will transfer largely to any white Democratic candidate pushing the same policies against another GOP candidate of any race pushing the same meme.
Snippy today are we?  I was talking about a black voter turning out for a Latino democrat.  There is a divide between the two communities and they may not turnout if they think that Latinos will get all of the attention from a Latino democrat. 

In 2008, people were saying the exact same thing about Hispanics turning out for a black presidential candidate. This may be an electoral phenomenon on the local level (in primaries and such) but it's not going to affect a presidential race.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »

Yeah, but the real question for 2016 is whether Obama's coalition turns out for all future democratic candidates or whether his coalition recedes back into the shadows with a Biden or Clinton candidacy.  I also wonder if the black vote holds up for say the fake Obama down in Texas, Julian Castro.  By the way, are there any VP's who have lost their party's nomination once they chose to run?

My hunch is that Obama built a coalition for himself and that it won't be nearly as strong in the next election, especially when faced with a Rubio/Martinez (or vice versa).

I agree. I think the coalition is Obama's coalition, not the Democrat's.

What you geniuses fail to note is a black candidate isn't necessarily going to get non-white cred automatically among Hispanic voters. That will transfer largely to any white Democratic candidate pushing the same policies against another GOP candidate of any race pushing the same meme.
Snippy today are we?  I was talking about a black voter turning out for a Latino democrat.  There is a divide between the two communities and they may not turnout if they think that Latinos will get all of the attention from a Latino democrat. 

In 2008, people were saying the exact same thing about Hispanics turning out for a black presidential candidate. This may be an electoral phenomenon on the local level (in primaries and such) but it's not going to affect a presidential race.
It's different.  Hispanics are the growing minority, blacks are not. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »

Because he got fewer votes than the other guy.

Jesus, man, these talking heads have an excuse for blathering on, and even believing what they say.  They gotta put bread on the table, after all.  What's your excuse?

Obama was a better candidate.  Obama got more votes.  It ain't rocket science.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies