Northern New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:52:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Northern New York
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northern New York  (Read 1876 times)
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

Is this area starting to go the way of Vermont and western Massachusetts? It re-elected it's first Democratic congressman again, and Obama did better than he did in 2008 here. Yet just 10-15 years ago this region was solidly Republican (as it had been since the 1850's).

What's going on in this area? Is it seeing an influx of liberal city types the way it's neighboring state did?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »

There are a # of factors but the most basic one is that the GOP is a damaged brand in many areas of the country.  The Southrons hijacked the party and pushed an agenda and culture that many weren't comfortable with. The Bush years riddled it with bullets.

After a weak recovery this election should have been closer. However, the GOP has to appeal to their base with losing issues- making them un-electable in many areas.  The Rove/Bush formula for electoral success is obviously done but some still refuse to accept that
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »

This word really needs to make a comeback.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Steve King is from Iowa. Michelle Bachmann is from Minnesota. Sarah Palin is from Idaho/Alaska.
Paul Ryan is from Wisconsin.

It's not just a "Southern" problem.

soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2012, 08:31:52 PM by soniquemd21921 »

I often wonder if the old Yankee Republican strongholds would still be Republican (or at least competitive) had the "southern drift" never happened.

But consider how in 1972, despite the Southern Strategy, Nixon had no problem sweeping Landon Country (he topped 60% in ME, NH, VT, upstate NY and northern PA)...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »

I often wonder if the old Yankee Republican strongholds would still be Republican (or at least competitive) had the "southern drift" never happened.

But consider how in 1972, despite the Southern Strategy, Nixon had no problem sweeping Landon Country (he topped 60% in ME, NH, VT, upstate NY and northern PA)...

1968 would be a better example, because in 1972 that was true of most of the United States.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »

In an alternate universe, a certain segment of my party doesn't get their panties in a wad and Congressman Scozzafava at least holds the House seat for the GOP.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »

I suspect a lot has to do with the type of Republicans here.  Many are moderate Republicans who probably think the party has swung too far to the right.  As for why it didn't happen earlier, my only guess is many people are loyal to a certain party and always vote for it no matter what; much like whites in the South didn't swing to the Democrats overnight, it took time; so the older voters continued to vote GOP out of tradition, but as they died off, they weren't able to replace them with newer voters as the newer voters voted more based on ideology rather than tradition.  Otherwise every four years, some of the older voters die and some new one's either through becoming of age or naturalization (not really a factor here) are eligible to vote so you have to take this into account. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies