Obama wins DuPage County, IL by 4k out of 400k cast (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:09:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Obama wins DuPage County, IL by 4k out of 400k cast (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama wins DuPage County, IL by 4k out of 400k cast  (Read 2481 times)
ill ind

« on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »

I didn't see the Dem GOTV out by us.  I just got the Dem lit drop like you were doing for the GOP, but Obama won in our area along with several other downballot Dems.
  The 6th District Forest Preserve Board where there was 1 Dem and 1 Rep head to head and the Dem winning was one of the bigger shockers that I saw locally.  The County Board and voting for 3 candidates is easier to see a Dem get through.

Ill_Ind
ill ind

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »

Approximately 1/3 of CD 11 is in DuPage county.  It voted Democratic by a 52 to 48 percent margin.

A portion why  probably has to do with the way the map is drawn.  GOP congressional candidates got 196K votes in DuPage compared to 179K for the Dems.

Consider from the February primary the percentage of the countywide party votes by Congressional District

District    Democratic %    Republican %

3rd               .09%                  .1%
5th             5.63%                9.17%
6th           38.09%               50.05%
8th           32.39%               19.08%
11th         21.79%               19.05%
14th           2.02%                 1.57%

Notice how a large percentage of Republicans were drawn into the non competitive Chicago based 5th, and the GOP vote-dump 6th.  GOP percentages in the competitive 8th and 11th districts were minimized, while an attempt was made to maximize the Democratic percentages in those districts.

Ill_Ind
ill ind

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »

I would guess this smaller Obama victory in DuPage probably rattled the DuPage GOP establishment quite a bit more than the first.  In 2008, he was the favorite son, and there was alot of excitement about his candidacy, so Obama winning DuPage was seen as a fluke.  Then Pat Quinn got 39% for Governor 2 years ago, so Obama winning this time around came as a complete surprise--like getting hit across the head by a 2"x 4" surprised.

There are lots of advantages to being a GOP candidate in DuPage County.  Guaranteed victory is no longer one of them however.

Ill Ind-
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies