So, the votes are in ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  So, the votes are in ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, the votes are in ...  (Read 1745 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »

The American voters have spoken and they want 4 MORE YEARS !

BOOM. BABY !
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:10 AM »

And the Senate looks like a total wipe-out for the Republicans too.

What a night !

Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »

Governors look OK too.

Bullock and Inslee may pull it out.

SSM referendums are through in WA, ME and MD ! MN looks close but below the 50% needed for passage !

Only the death penalty repeal in CA is very close !

Weed legalized in CO also !

Smiley
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:51:30 AM »

Congratuations to the Democrat contingent on here.

Your candidate won this election by about 300,000 votes in a number of key swing states. That's enough under our electoral system to give Obama the election and make it look like a landslide in the EV.

Kudos for the Obama camp for running the better campaign and getting just enough of his voters out to the polls to win. The numbers were very much on knife's edge.

Democrats probably will net 1 or 2 seats in the Senate. The Republicans have no one to shoot than themselves for losing winnable seats in Indiana and Missouri with candidates that made idiotic comments and never recovered.

The Republicans will keep the House with just about the same margin or a few seats more than the last cycle.

It will be interesting to see how a President who was elected with less of a mandate electorally will fare with the same House leadership that he has been critical of over the election cycle. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and compromise can be had. But there's a very real ideological divide in this country, so who knows?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »

There's really a lot to digest here. It does indeed look like a 332-203 final electoral vote count (so I got this one exactly right Smiley). I'll just list a few things I've noted.

Obama loses every county in Utah, Oklahoma, and West Virginia.

Massive swing against Obama in coal country; 62-36 result in WV, 61-38 in KY, and a big swing against Obama in Southwest PA. Ben Chandler also goes down in defeat.

Obama wins Staten Island (although I'm not sure how the hurricane affects this as NJ also swung Democratic).

New England stays very strongly Democratic: 100% Dem House delegation once again, VT and RI may actually swing towards the President. Romney loses every county in MA. NH-Gov not close.

Democrats look to gain at least one Senate seat, maybe as many as three. McCaskill crushes Akin 55-39. Kerrey wasn't even close. Heitkamp looks strong to win.

Marriage equality wins in Maryland and Maine and looks strong in Washington.

Minnesota defeats both the marriage amendment and voter ID amendment.

Marijuana legalization passes in Washington and Colorado.

House will basically stay the same. I think this shows the strength of Republican gerrymandering across the country (NC defeats three Democrats with McIntyre winning by less than 400 votes). Illinois gerrymander knocks off four Republican incumbents. Also, Matheson looks to survive despite extremely tough headwinds. Allen West is also narrowly down in final results.

Puerto Rico appears to reject status quo and vote yes on statehood.

---

I know I strayed from pure presidential results, but there's so just so much to say. Anyone else? Wink
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »

Congratuations to the Democrat contingent on here.

Your candidate won this election by about 300,000 votes in a number of key swing states. That's enough under our electoral system to give Obama the election and make it look like a landslide in the EV.

Kudos for the Obama camp for running the better campaign and getting just enough of his voters out to the polls to win. The numbers were very much on knife's edge.

Democrats probably will net 1 or 2 seats in the Senate. The Republicans have no one to shoot than themselves for losing winnable seats in Indiana and Missouri with candidates that made idiotic comments and never recovered.

The Republicans will keep the House with just about the same margin or a few seats more than the last cycle.

It will be interesting to see how a President who was elected with less of a mandate electorally will fare with the same House leadership that he has been critical of over the election cycle. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and compromise can be had. But there's a very real ideological divide in this country, so who knows?

I'm seeing Obama up by nearly 1.4 million votes and growing.

Anyway, Tender, when recapping the results of the night how could you neglect Puerto Rico applying for statehood?
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »

BOOM. BABY !

Tender when are you gonna do your white swing/trend map ? You did an excellent job with the Gore/Kerry/Obama swing maps.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies