2012 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls *live commentary*(Dave plz read)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls *live commentary*(Dave plz read)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls *live commentary*(Dave plz read)  (Read 2519 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:05 AM »
« edited: November 06, 2012, 03:57:31 AM by Mr. Morden »

First off, a friendly request for Dave: I realize that you've made the brand new 2012 Presidential Election Results board, but I ask if we can leave this thread here, on the main 2012 board until election day is over.  I fear a lot of people are going to be confused by the fact that the election night commentary thread is on another board, and we'll end up with endless duplication that we have to clean up.  Just leave it here for now, and move the thread later, once the election is over and traffic has died down.

If you absolutely must move the thread now, then please give the rest of us 2012 mods moderation powers on the other board, so that Ernest doesn't have to police the election night thread all by himself.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:56:16 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2012, 03:57:59 AM by Mr. Morden »

Now, the main event: Please post election night commentary here.  This thread will be locked during the day, and you should post daytime commentary in the "turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks" thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=163983.0

But the thread should be opened by one of the mods  (likely BK or AndrewCT, as I'll probably be asleep!) before 5pm Eastern.  If they don't open it by 5pm Eastern because either the site goes down when they're available, or something in the real world comes up, then go ahead and start your own thread, and I'll merge the threads when I wake up.  Please don't spam any of us with PMs asking us to unlock the thread.

Poll closing times for every state are listed here:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G12/closing.phtml?format=gc

and election return websites are listed here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164052.0

First polls close in parts of IN and KY at 6pm Eastern, and we may start getting some results from those states shortly thereafter, but the networks won't call either state or post the topline exit poll #s until 7pm Eastern, when the rest of the polls close in those two states.

In addition to discussing election night results, this thread will also be used for discussing the exit polls, including exit poll leaks.  Because of the post-2004 exit polling reforms, the media themselves don't have access to any exit poll #s until 5pm Eastern.  Any supposed exit poll leaks you read before 5pm are certainly fake.  After 5pm, stuff will leak.  And we'll start getting AP stories about what the exit polls say about who voted.

Finally, a warning that the traffic tonight will be very high.  If you want to keep your sanity, set your profile settings so that you don't have to deal with the "x new replies have been posted, you might want to review your post" message when posting in a thread where other people have posted ahead of you.  To do so, just do the following:

profile -> look and layout preferences -> Don't warn on new replies made while posting.

You don't have to do this if you don't want to, but I bet it would save you some frustration!

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »

Ha ha, this was supposed to be the running commentary thread for the presidential election, but it looks like the forum was down all day, so it wasn't used.  In any case, feel free to post any remaining running commentary on the presidential election here.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:34:15 AM »

I can't believe, on the most important day to the forum community, that the servers were unable to handle the traffic. Sad
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »

So only Florida is left to call?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »

VA hasn't been called, I believe.  It's clear that Obama won both FL and VA, though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:49 AM »

Looks that way, yes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »

Looks like Dave has already uploaded much of the data to Atlas:

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

Obama's current popular vote lead is 49.5%-48.9%, but that'll presumably grow, as much of California isn't it yet.

Gary Johnson is 3rd, at 0.9%.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »

Yes, though I think it's Obama's.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »

All this and I couldn't even get on. I went to amother site instead.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:27:47 AM »

All this and I couldn't even get on. I went to amother site instead.
No one could Sad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2012, 04:45:47 PM by Mr. Morden »

So in the end, Ohio was not the "tipping point state", as many people expected.  It looks like it was Colorado:

ia > nh > pa > co > va > oh > fl

in descending order of Obama's victory margin.  Had Obama only won CO and everything to its left, he'd win.  If Romney had won CO and everything to its right, he'd win.

EDIT: Forgot about PA in my initial version of this post.  Virtually no one was expecting PA to be closer than both IA and NH.  If CO drifts further to the Dems, then PA could very well become the crucial tipping point state in 2016, the state that everyone figures is going to tip the election, and that the candidates will spend as much time there as they did in OH this time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2012, 11:09:03 PM by Torie »

I have analyzed anything yet, but it should be interesting. The Pubs certainly had a bad day in CA. It was very bloody all up and down the ballot. Most of the ballot choices that I made, or wished were made in many other districts, were the opposite of the majority.

Anyway, congratulations to President Obama, and to all here and elsewhere who supported him. I know that all you must be quite relieved (you were just a tad worried weren't you?).  May both parties now work together, and with real numbers and realistic assumptions, to pragmatically address that which must be addressed, if we are not to circumscribe the future of our young. May my pessimism about that happening be proved wrong. That is my fondest hope. Wish us luck.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

If you can raise the word "tad" by a few exponents, yeah, I was worried.  But I join you in your wishes Torie.  Guys who are generously given second chances had better come through. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »

looks like Romney will end up with about a million fewer votes than McCain.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies