Bono vs. ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:08:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bono vs. ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bono vs. ?  (Read 2280 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2005, 09:57:25 AM »

I contend that nowhere in the powers ammendment that determines the actions permited to the senate is that body given the authority to appropriate money to programs of the like of those for which money was appropriated under The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill. Therefore, as the money I paid in my taxes is being used for unconstitutional purposes, I ask that The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill be declared unconstitutional and without effect.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 10:17:26 AM »

Bono asked me to look at the Constitutional powers of the Senate as well, and having done so I agree that nowhere in the Constitution is the Atlasian Senate given powers to create such a bill.

I support Bono in this case.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 01:29:22 PM »

yeah, but neither of you think the government has a spending power under the real Constitution.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2005, 01:57:01 PM by S.E. Magistrate John Dibble »

yeah, but neither of you think the government has a spending power under the real Constitution.

Sure it does. The Constitution, both Atlasia's and the US's, enumerates the things Congress(Senate only in this case) can make laws, which include spending money, about.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 01:58:39 PM »

I'm presuming that the version here is the version that passed.  What follows is my opinion

Sections 1 and 3  would be constitutional under a broad interpretation of section 1 clause 16 of the Powers amendment.  Whether clause 16 can be interpreted that broadly is something the Court will need to decide.  A broad interpretation of section 1 clause 9 of the Powers amendment would help support the constututionality of section 1 of the Act, but would not be enough by itself,

Section 2 is clearly constitutional under section 1 clause 14 of the Powers amendment, insofar as it related to the treatment of infectious disease.  It would require a overly broad intrepretation of that clause to extend that clause to other forms of health care assistanc, especially given the explit narrow scope of clause 14.

Section 4 is constitutional to the extent that sections 1, 2, and 3 are found to be constitutional.

As written, section 5 is unconstitutional.  If it were limited in scope, child care assistance could be constitutional, but I don't see anything that makes a generic child care subsidy constitutional

Section 6 is clearly constitutional under section 1 clause 15 of the Powers amendment.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 02:31:32 PM »

Since I may be a Supreme Court Justice soon, I shall not discuss this any further, as I may be involved in this case directly, until the trial starts.

I assure those concerned that I will not let my personal feelings about this bill get in the way of my job, which is simply to interpret the Constitution and to determine whether the law in question is a violation of it or not.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 02:40:53 PM »

I'm presuming that the version here is the version that passed.  What follows is my opinion

Sections 1 and 3  would be constitutional under a broad interpretation of section 1 clause 16 of the Powers amendment.  Whether clause 16 can be interpreted that broadly is something the Court will need to decide.  A broad interpretation of section 1 clause 9 of the Powers amendment would help support the constututionality of section 1 of the Act, but would not be enough by itself,

Section 2 is clearly constitutional under section 1 clause 14 of the Powers amendment, insofar as it related to the treatment of infectious disease.  It would require a overly broad intrepretation of that clause to extend that clause to other forms of health care assistanc, especially given the explit narrow scope of clause 14.

Section 4 is constitutional to the extent that sections 1, 2, and 3 are found to be constitutional.

As written, section 5 is unconstitutional.  If it were limited in scope, child care assistance could be constitutional, but I don't see anything that makes a generic child care subsidy constitutional

Section 6 is clearly constitutional under section 1 clause 15 of the Powers amendment.

Obviously, I'll save my arguments for the trial.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 02:05:59 AM »

Well, then while we are at it, let's eliminate social security (or any idea to privatize it), government grants to attend private universities and a whole litany of other programs as well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 02:08:25 AM »

And, at this point, I would like to add that the final version of the bill is acctually located on page one.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=15608.0
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 08:46:54 AM »

When are we going to have the trial, anyways?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »

There is a queue for the Supreme Court you know Wink

Once the Senate pulls its finger out and actually holds a vote we should (hopefully) get a new Justice to make up for Liberty's extending absence and therefore we will have at least a majority of the Court to hear cases. It then depends how long it takes the NixonNow case to get considered and ruled upon.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 03:43:43 PM »

Once the Senate pulls its finger out and actually holds a vote we should (hopefully) get a new Justice to make up for Liberty's extending absence and therefore we will have at least a majority of the Court to hear cases. It then depends how long it takes the NixonNow case to get considered and ruled upon.

The NixonNow case was filled after this one.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »

The NixonNow case was filled after this one.

Nevermind, I thought you meant andrew vs. NixonNow.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 04:12:53 PM »

Bump.
As soon as i'm sworn in i'll start working on this.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 05:13:02 PM »

Bump.

There is one case ahead in the queue unless the Court wishes to take the cases out of order.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 05:22:20 PM »

Bump.

There is one case ahead in the queue unless the Court wishes to take the cases out of order.

Once Texasgurl is all set, we will begin with the NixonNow vs. StevenNick case.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies