Des Moines Register -- Obama +5 in Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:30:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Des Moines Register -- Obama +5 in Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Des Moines Register -- Obama +5 in Iowa  (Read 3248 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »

New Poll: Iowa President by Selzer & Co on 2012-11-03

Summary: D: 47%, R: 42%, I: 4%, U: 7%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

ajb
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »

What part of the polls are wrong don't you guys understand.  You are deluding yourselves in believing that you will match us in turnout and enthusiasm.  30,000 people for a Romney Ryan rally and Obama is getting McCain size (sub 4000) crowds in some states.  At this point, that does not point to an Obama victory regardless of JJs rule about crowds.  We will win independents by high single to double digits and undecideds 80-20.  Your early voting is down considerably, no matter how hard you try to spin it.  
Didn't the Secret Service say they screened 15 000 at that Romney/Ryan rally? So either the campaign overstated their numbers, or there was a major security breach.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »

What part of the polls are wrong don't you guys understand.  You are deluding yourselves in believing that you will match us in turnout and enthusiasm.  30,000 people for a Romney Ryan rally and Obama is getting McCain size (sub 4000) crowds in some states.  At this point, that does not point to an Obama victory regardless of JJs rule about crowds.  We will win independents by high single to double digits and undecideds 80-20.  Your early voting is down considerably, no matter how hard you try to spin it.  
Didn't the Secret Service say they screened 15 000 at that Romney/Ryan rally? So either the campaign overstated their numbers, or there was a major security breach.
Well, I didn't hear that and most have been reporting 20-30k.  But you also have to remember, Secret Service isn't doing all of the screening, local and state cops do it too.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

Excellent pollster. This late, Iowa is in the bag along with Wisconsin and Nevada.

With six other states not quite certain (CO, FL, NH, NC, OH, and VA)... NH only because polling is wild...

New Hampshire doesn't matter, but President Obama gets re-elected with the combination of Colorado and New Hampshire or any one of Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, or Virginia. 

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »

These threads make me want to bang my head against the wall.

The truth shall set us free on Tuesday.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:10 AM »

This is Ann Selzer's Iowa poll, so I'm inclined to give this one a lot of weight. This is like the Field Poll in California. I do wish undecideds had been pushed a bit more, though there are only 7% with a 5% margin.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

Excellent pollster. This late, Iowa is in the bag along with Wisconsin and Nevada.

With six other states not quite certain (CO, FL, NH, NC, OH, and VA)... NH only because polling is wild...

New Hampshire doesn't matter, but President Obama gets re-elected with the combination of Colorado and New Hampshire or any one of Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, or Virginia. 

Off 8 points last time.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:11 AM »

Off 8 points last time.

so very bad pollster...
Warren Griffin
Red Shadow
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »

This is Ann Selzer's Iowa poll, so I'm inclined to give this one a lot of weight. This is like the Field Poll in California.

Yep!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:12 AM »

It does seem like Republicans will attack any poll that doesn't fit their narrative. While this poll was off several points in the 2008 presidential race, it has pin-pointed many races. In any event, the Selzer poll should be considered the gold standard for Iowa.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »

George W. Bush drew 60,000+ supporters at a rally in the same location in September 2004. Even if R/R did get 30,000, that's a 50% drop off from a campaign that only narrowly won Ohio.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »

It does seem like Republicans will attack any poll that doesn't fit their narrative. While this poll was off several points in the 2008 presidential race, it has pin-pointed many races. In any event, the Selzer poll should be considered the gold standard for Iowa.

They were off, a lot, in 2008.  So were most other polls in IA.  Also, their internal numbers make no sense. 
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »

In that one particular election, that is true. However, this poll has been very accurate in almost every other poll in the state. If anything, the only possible problem with this poll has been the overestimation of the "Other" vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »

In that one particular election, that is true. However, this poll has been very accurate in almost every other poll in the state. If anything, the only possible problem with this poll has been the overestimation of the "Other" vote.

But it was well off with Obama.  There is also the problem with its internal numbers and early voters.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »

But it was well off with Obama.  There is also the problem with its internal numbers and early voters.

In one election, yes, that was the case. However, it did predict Obama as the decisive winner of the Iowa Caucuses. And that is not including the other races it has basically nailed down. I really don't think one overestimation discredits the poll. I'm not saying this will necessarily be the result, but I do give this poll somewhat more weight (although as one data point among several others). The only problem I see with this poll overall is that it tends to overestimate the "Other" vote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Lmao!
Stop grasping for straws. You know you're losing when you just flat out claim "the polls are wrong".
No, Mitt is not getting larger crowds than Obama, he's not getting McCain size crowds. The latest PPP Poll shows Obama pulling ahead among indies. Rasmussen has it tied. Wash/Post ABC says Obama is closing the gap.
I will happily proclaim it each day until election day.  We aren't losing.  You think we are losing because you happen to be wrong and will be amazed at the size of Romney's victory on Tuesday.  

Hahahahahahahahaha.  Okay.  Okay.  You know what?

I'm going to PM you with this quote of yours if Obama wins on Tuesday.

And... what the heck, I guess I'll put it in my signature, too.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

All this talk about crowd sizes predicting election results has reminded me of an example from my own country.

The above is the final pre-election rally of UDF in the election of 1990, the first free election in Bulgaria in 66 years. The picture doesn't really give justice to the size of the crowd - it stretched considerably further, in the direction of the upper left corner. The attendance was estimated to be up to a million - in a country that had then a population of about 9 million! Of course, under the circumstances it was easy for the UDF leadership to dismiss the polls, which showed clearly that they were losing.
Three days later UDF lost the election by 11 points.
So I'm always a bit skeptical, to put it mildly, when someone uses this argument Wink
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

Lmao!
Stop grasping for straws. You know you're losing when you just flat out claim "the polls are wrong".
No, Mitt is not getting larger crowds than Obama, he's not getting McCain size crowds. The latest PPP Poll shows Obama pulling ahead among indies. Rasmussen has it tied. Wash/Post ABC says Obama is closing the gap.
I will happily proclaim it each day until election day.  We aren't losing.  You think we are losing because you happen to be wrong and will be amazed at the size of Romney's victory on Tuesday.  

Hahahahahahahahaha.  Okay.  Okay.  You know what?

I'm going to PM you with this quote of yours if Obama wins on Tuesday.

And... what the heck, I guess I'll put it in my signature, too.
Hey, be my guest man. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies