OR: Public Policy Polling: Despite Romney's inroads, OR leans Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:02:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  OR: Public Policy Polling: Despite Romney's inroads, OR leans Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OR: Public Policy Polling: Despite Romney's inroads, OR leans Obama  (Read 6559 times)
Seriously?
United States

« on: November 03, 2012, 02:35:14 AM »

I am surprised that Oregon is this close. I would have imagined around a 10% win or so for the President. From what I understand about the state, it shouldn't really have major swings. I remember reading that it has some of the most liberal Democrats and some of the most conservative Republicans.

For those that want to attack PPP, they were very accurate in Oregon in 2008. They called it 57-42 when it actually went 57-41.
It's very easy to be accurate when your candidate hits some of the assumptions you are making. Obama hit those turnout numbers in '08 both as a percentage of Party ID and geography.

With that said, I do think the regular PPP polls are a little more accurate than the sauced polls for that "progressive" Obama health care PAC. This was a regular PPP poll.

This particular poll accurately reflects the McCain vote in '08, but undersamples the Obama vote with 9% not remembering (perhaps Obama voters with buyers' remorse). It also is D+16, when the '08 exit polls were D+11.

While I don't think Romney is winning Oregon by any means, my guess is that you're looking at about a 4-to-6 point Obama win, more likely on the outer range of that number.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:48:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I think there's a divergence between the PPP polls for the political PAC and their regular polling. You would think they'd want to control the Party ID for the PAC polls if the PAC poll's purpose is to advocate that their guy has the lead.

With that said, it's hard to tell PPP's methodology. There is no methodology statement anywhere on any of their polls and the cross-tabs show percentages as opposed to raw data.

You are correct on the +4. I think I had an older poll up. This one is closer to the general reality though. It should end up in the O+4 to O+6 range at the end of the day.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies