Do you personally think Hillary is going to run for president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:47:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you personally think Hillary is going to run for president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you personally think Hillary is going to run for president?
YES
NO
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Do you personally think Hillary is going to run for president?  (Read 2349 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »

She has been denying it several time, but she did the same 6 years ago and when she she was asked if she'd like to serve as Secretary of State.
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »

I don't. I would definitely want her to, but I have a feeling she would drop the opportunity. I still see Schweitzer, O'Malley, and Cuomo running for sure.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »

She will, as long as her popularity remains high.

I don't know why anyone would turn down the presidency if it's being handed to them.

She just needs a year or two off first.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

Never thought so, see no reason to change my mind.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:31:54 AM »

Never thought so, see no reason to change my mind.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:24 AM »

Politicians are a certain breed of human. I think most could be referred to as sociopaths, but many tend to generalize this term and ignore the nuances that come with it. Not all sociopaths are bad, and many are in fact good at the task. To be a leader, you have to be a sociopath.

Hillary is a sociopath. It would be very uncharacteristic of her not to run. Unlike someone like Gore, she still has broad support - financial and grassroots alike - that could be organized quickly. Bill Clinton didn't just warm back up to Barack Obama because of party loyalty.

I think not only will she run, but that she has already decided to run. All this posturing by both Clintons wouldn't otherwise be occurring. Bill works his tush off to get Barack re-elected so that his wife continues to have cover. Hillary flirts with the idea that she may stay on as SoS for some time into the second term.

See, if Obama loses, the first impulse of half the country will be to turn to Hillary and demand an answer. If Obama wins, she can duck it fairly easily for another two years. Both Clintons want that time so they can plan without an augmented level of media scrutiny.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »

If she wants to, she becomes either the 45th or 46th President.

Despite what some people would have you think, Benghazi wasn't a blow to her credibility on image, Bill's misdemeanors haven't affected his or her's popularities in fact her's have risen. She isn't too far left so she wins GOP moderates, independents, woman, minorities and I'd say against any GOP person she wins 50% of men. If she runs, she wins. My god, I hope she runs.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:25 AM »

I agree she would be the overwhelming favorite to win the Democratic nomination if she runs.  But I think people are getting carried away with respect to her chances in the general election.  Once she's the party's nominee, she'll be a more polarizing figure again, just like any major party nominee is nowadays.  Whether she would actually win the general election depends greatly on whether 2016 is a good year for the Dems or the GOP.

Do I need to dig out those threads from 2005, when people were talking about how McCain would easily defeat any Democratic challenger if he were the GOP nominee in 2008?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »

alexmanu
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »

No, but she really should.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »

I think she wants to be president but I dont think she wants to run for President. If the economy is booming and it looks like she is a shoe-in for both nomination and general, then I think she might. But I doubt she wants another slug fest.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »

No.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »

Politicians are a certain breed of human. I think most could be referred to as sociopaths, but many tend to generalize this term and ignore the nuances that come with it. Not all sociopaths are bad, and many are in fact good at the task. To be a leader, you have to be a sociopath.

Hillary is a sociopath. It would be very uncharacteristic of her not to run. Unlike someone like Gore, she still has broad support - financial and grassroots alike - that could be organized quickly. Bill Clinton didn't just warm back up to Barack Obama because of party loyalty.

I think not only will she run, but that she has already decided to run. All this posturing by both Clintons wouldn't otherwise be occurring. Bill works his tush off to get Barack re-elected so that his wife continues to have cover. Hillary flirts with the idea that she may stay on as SoS for some time into the second term.

See, if Obama loses, the first impulse of half the country will be to turn to Hillary and demand an answer. If Obama wins, she can duck it fairly easily for another two years. Both Clintons want that time so they can plan without an augmented level of media scrutiny.

This basically sums up why I'd have a hard time believing she wont run.  I'd say the odds that our next president is "President Clinton" are pretty high, at least, as high as such numbers could be four years in advance.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:45 AM »

I hope so, because I think she would likely win and become and great president.

But I really don't think she will. 2008 was make or break. Unlike her husband or Barack Obama, she doesn't strike me as someone who loves campaigning, but as someone who sees it as a necessary evil. I don't think she'll want to go through it again. I actually think she's fairly happy with the legacy she has now. Also, let's not forget that she'll be 69 by the time the 2016 election is decided. The US seems to be one of the few western countries where it is still deemed viable for senior citizens to run for highest office. I actually think that is a good thing, but the international trend is for younger state leaders. And really, since 1992 we've had "young" presidents. I don't think that will change anytime soon. Infact, I think the next president again is very likely to be someone in his or her 40's or early 50's.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »

Yes- I am confident she will and believe that Griffin's answer is the reason
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »

Never in a million years.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 05:12:35 AM »

Ask Andrew Cuomo.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

Hillary's running...Bill didn't work so hard for Obama for no reason. It would be a lot easier for Hillary to run as a quasi-incumbent with the support of two popular Democratic Presidents with an economy probably on the upswing.

It would have been much more difficult for Hillary to run against an incumbent President Romney with an economy probably on the upswing
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »

Ultimately I think she will, but not before she takes two years off after leaving the State Department for some well-deserved R & R as a private citizen for the first time in at least twenty years. 

Afterwards, she will announce her candidacy in early 2015.  
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »

No
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »

She's a Clinton, she'll run again.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »

It's tough to determine. She says she needs sleep after four years a Sec of State, which would imply that a presidency is probably too much for her at this point, yet her next four years off might provide her with the rest she think she needs. For now, I'm going to vote "No."
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »

Hillary will carefully monitor how the political climate looks for Democrats as 2016 approaches.  She will continue to put out denials about her interest in the presidency during 2013 and 2014 as she rests, writes her SoS memoirs and does foundation work.  The likely effect of this will be that the groundswell for her to get in will only increase.  If at the end of the day she concludes:

1.  The 2016 political environment is, at worst, neutral for Democrats.
2.  She will be able to win the Democratic Primary with ease (if she suspects she will have to go through a 2008 style primary again she will not run).
3.  Her odds of winning the general election are greater than 50%.

then I think she will run.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies