Quinnipiac last polls for OH, VA, and FL tomorrow morning (7 AM)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Quinnipiac last polls for OH, VA, and FL tomorrow morning (7 AM)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Quinnipiac last polls for OH, VA, and FL tomorrow morning (7 AM)  (Read 7148 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »

Setting up a thread early.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »

Expecting good results?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

Predictions:
Ohio: Obama +3
Virginia: Obama +2
Florida: Tied or +/-1 for either candidate
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

Polling VA right now is a bit sketchy.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »

Does anyone know a website where these might leak early , I miss 2004 when polls would leak early left and right.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »

An Obama lead in Florida in a Qpac poll would be very good news for him.  They are very good pollsters here. 

If Obama isnt ahead by at least four in their Ohio poll, that's good news for Romney.  Their Ohio polling leans significantly to the left. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »

I'll predict:

FL: Romney +1

VA: Romney +2

OH: Obama +3
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »

I predict

OH Obama+5 or 6 (not that I think that is accurate)
FL Obama+2
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

Are these Quinnipiac on their own or the ones partnered with the NY Times?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »

Florida - Romney +1
Virginia - Obama  +2
Ohio - Obama +5
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »

OH: Obama up 5
VA: Obama up 3
FL: tied
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »

They've had a very pro Obama stance this whole election so I think it's safe to assume they will push something like this

FL: Obama up 1
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »

They've had a very pro Obama stance this whole election so I think it's safe to assume they will push something like this

FL: Obama up 1

lol. I see Cliffy is playing the expectations game now.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »

Predictions:
Ohio: Obama +3
Florida: Tied or +/-1 for either candidate

Quinnipiac?

Ohio: Obama +5
Virginia:Obama +3
Florida: Obama +1

All the Democrats on this board in glee, even though the poll is modeled on '08 turnout.
dirks

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »

I expect nothing less than D+6 bs models...if not more
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

Define "model"

I dont think you understand how polling works
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

Define "model"

I think this might be the motto of this campaign season.
Reds4

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »

I'll take a stab:

Florida: Romney +1
Ohio: Obama +4
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 10:30:42 PM by Seriously? »

Define "model"

Yeah, I don't understand polling one iota. You're right. Only folks with D's next to their names understand how polling works on this board, I forgot.

In most of these polls:
1) There is an oversampling of the folks who claimed to have voted early and the numbers by the local secretary of states as to the actual size of the poll. Those voters as a subgroup are not part of a statistically significant sample in the 500-750 sample size polls.
2) There appears to be something amiss when it comes to the so-called "enthusiasm factor." The polling data of early voters does not adequately reflect the partisan breakdown of those who have ACTUALLY voted early. Unless, of course, you assume that Romney is not getting his fair share of Republican vote (something not supported by the data).
3) If you look at the ACTUAL data, Obama's GOTV campaign is lagging behind '08 by a good number. The Republicans have eroded the Obama early vote advantage.
4) There's a divergence of the state polls and the national polls where the swing factor does not match up with the polling data.
5) While pollsters allow voters to self identify party affiliation, they do sauce the polls for turnout based on race, age and gender and other factors. In order to do so, they generally use the two previous exit polls to sauce their data. The 2004 exit poll suggested a Kerry win and was pretty much useless useless. The 2008 exit poll will oversample young voters and other groups that the data shows will not show up in as big percentages on election day.

For example, Ohio is a Cook R+1 state, but you're getting O+3 results in a nationalized election that's somewhere between O+1 and R+5.

So then you have to ask why that is?

You can argue that it's a superior ground campaign by Obama, but by doing so you are going well against history. Does that make sense? Can a state "be bought" with ads to historically break away from where it's been throughout history? Possibly. But excuse me for being skeptical.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »

For example, Ohio is a Cook R+1 state, but you're getting O+3 results in a nationalized election that's somewhere between O+1 and R+5.

Because the auto bailout is a unique factor making Ohio closer to a D+1 state this year. Cook PVIs change cycle to cycle.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »

Because the auto bailout is a unique factor making Ohio closer to a D+1 state this year. Cook PVIs change cycle to cycle.
That's a plausible argument, but Ohio's standard deviation for Democrats in particular has not deviated that much from the national vote share.

A tenable argument can also be made that the bailout's influence could be balanced by the coal effect in the SE part of the state. I'd argue in the alternative that if Obama does outperform the norm in Ohio it's more to to do with ad strategy rather than anything else.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 11:15:48 PM by Likely Voter »

points 1-4 are gobblygook saying people are lying so not worth addressing beyond how there is a lag with early voting and counting...plus all these complaints came before early voting so on too...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And boom goes the "model". Unfortunately for you that actually isnt how things work. . Almost all pollsters first gather a pool of adult americans and then they apply census data to that pool to match demographics. They then remove non registered voters and then (and only then) do they apply their LV model.  The exit polls are not a factor.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

points 1-4 are gobblygook saying people are lying so not worth addressing beyond how there is a lag with early voting and counting...plus all these complaints came before early voting so on too...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And boom goes the "model". Unfortunately for you that actually isnt how things work. . Almost all pollsters first gather a pool of adult americans and then they apply census data to that pool to match demographics. They then remove non registered voters and then (and only then) do they apply their LV model.  The exit polls are not a factor.
Wow, wait? You mean pollsters simply pick a pool of adults at random, then call those customers, get a uniform response by race and don't have to do any reweighting. I see. I'm enlightened now.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:31 PM »

Well I've anticipated all of the liberal polls for the most part, it's not hard to do, they have continued to think turnout will be at 08 or better.  It's just coincidence that before the debate they needed 08 turnout or close to show an Obama win and then after the debate they needed better to show a tie or win.....  

Given that we're talking about far left liberal propaganda firms that are all in for Obama, it's been easy to anticipate their moves, credibility doesn't mean anything to them, retention of the far left agenda does.  The only thing that would surprise me would be PPP, Marist, Susa, Quinn,etc moving to more realistic samples.

The left has lost the middle/moderates because of Obama and the far left take over of your party you just don't know it yet, you'll see on Nov 6th.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:59 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 11:47:18 PM by Likely Voter »

wow 'Seriously' you are a bit thick aren't you?

No, actually pollsters call numbers randomly and amass a pool of adult responses.  They then reweight the poll to census data. So if they get 60% women responding they adjust the weight.   Bear in mind that over 90% of respondents do not agree to take the survey. This issue of response rate has become a big problem. There is some evidence that there is some response bias after certain events like conventions where those of a particular political persuasion are more enthused and more likely to agree to be polled. But again the pollster does not map anything out before they begin calling except to make sure their calls are balanced geographically.

The fundamental misunderstanding with the new attack on polling is a belief that pollsters predetermine what the party ID makeup will be. The only pollsters who do that are Rasmussen and the Battleground poll.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies