Dr. Paul Kurtz, Long-time Leader of Secular Humanism, Passes Away at 86
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dr. Paul Kurtz, Long-time Leader of Secular Humanism, Passes Away at 86
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dr. Paul Kurtz, Long-time Leader of Secular Humanism, Passes Away at 86  (Read 451 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

A man who has been an inspiration to me for so much of my life, and whose texts I have always held close to my chest, has passed away today.

Dr. Paul Kurtz was the leading man in organizing the Secular Humanist movement from within as well as promoting and defending it in the public sphere. His influence on all Humanism and atheism as a whole, will never be forgotten. RIP.

"“Humanism has been shaped by many people since the beginning of the 20th century, and Paul Kurtz was one of the greatest contributors to the development of our nontheistic philosophy,” Speckhardt said.

Kurtz published over 800 articles and authored more than 40 books, many of which have been translated into scores of languages.

In his most recent major statement, Kurtz declared that “our planetary community is facing serious problems that can only be solved by cooperative global action.” In Neo-Humanism Statement of Secular Principles and Values: Personal, Progressive, and Planetary, published in 2010, Kurtz offered 16 detailed recommendations for a humanistic world.

“These are the vital principles and values that a secular, personal, progressive, and planetary humanism proposes for humanity,” Kurtz wrote about his statement. “Today the campaign for equal rights and for a better life for everyone knows no boundaries. This is a common goal for the people of the world, worthy of our highest aspirations.”

In 2007 the American Humanist Association presented Kurtz with the Humanist Lifetime Achievement Award. During his acceptance speech, he stated, “I am a secular humanist because I am not religious. I draw my inspiration not from religion or spirituality, but from science, ethics, philosophy, and the arts.""

http://www.americanhumanist.org/news/details/2011-11-humanists-mourn-death-of-paul-kurtz-humanist-philoso
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »

RIP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies