Billy Graham No Longer Thinks Mormonism Is a Cult
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:08:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Billy Graham No Longer Thinks Mormonism Is a Cult
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Billy Graham No Longer Thinks Mormonism Is a Cult  (Read 481 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TIME

Interesting, and sad -- especially for someone whom I thought was a good and decent man.  Hypocrisy at its worst.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »

He's just trying to get Romney to be nice to him. Graham's known every president from Truman to Obama, and Graham wants Romney to like him in case Romney wins.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »

Interesting, and sad -- especially for someone whom I thought was a good and decent man.  Hypocrisy at its worst.
A good and decent man could never see the Unitarians in such a way. They are a wonderful organization founded on loving and welcoming and honest principles.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »

I sincerely doubt Billy Graham, who has had very little to do with the running of the BGEA association in the last decade, had much to do with this. If anything the board removed it to avoid the sort of press it's getting for removing it now. They were trying to save face when their namesake had a friendly meeting with a guy that was part of what they considered a "cult."

The BGEA is run by his son Franklin, who is more hardline, and far more partisan politically, than his father.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »

A good and decent man could never see the Unitarians in such a way. They are a wonderful organization founded on loving and welcoming and honest principles.

You are correct.

I sincerely doubt Billy Graham, who has had very little to do with the running of the BGEA association in the last decade, had much to do with this. If anything the board removed it to avoid the sort of press it's getting for removing it now. They were trying to save face when their namesake had a friendly meeting with a guy that was part of what they considered a "cult."

The BGEA is run by his son Franklin, who is more hardline, and far more partisan politically, than his father.

Why would they put lists like this on the site without running it by him, though?  The name of the organization is misleading.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »

Why would they put lists like this on the site without running it by him, though?  The name of the organization is misleading.
[/quote]

Jesus, the man turns 94 years old next month. He's been in and out of the hospital, essentially on his deathbed, several times in the past year. I doubt he's ever been on the internet, let alone recently.  The lists go on the site because as an interdenominational group they have to draw lines in the sand as to who they will and will not work with.

The name is not particularly misleading. I'm sure it'll keep the name when he passes away, which doesn't mean he's going to run it from beyond the grave. There's a museum named after him in Charlotte, I don't think he spends his time approving every item sold in the gift shop. He's retired.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »

Graham's definition of a cult includes rejecting Trinitarianism, so by his definition, Unitarianism is a cult.

Here's a link from the Wayback Machine to the deleted page: (What is a cult?)

Note that BGEA didn't fully scrub their pages. From Decision Magazine May 1, 2008 in an article by Thom S. Rainer: "The Unexpected Journey"
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So they've still got stuff up that says that Mormons aren't Christians.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »

It's about time Billy Graham saw the light and was man enough to admit to this.

Good for him.

Sincerity and humility at its' best.

Billy Graham is to be highly commended for this move.

He did the right thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies