Newspaper endorsement thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:01:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Newspaper endorsement thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Newspaper endorsement thread  (Read 13754 times)
Fargobison

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
« edited: October 28, 2012, 12:09:37 AM by Fargobison »

The Fargo Forum endorses Romney, not much of a surprise since I believe they also endorsed McCain and Bush...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/378621/
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

FL: Naple daily news endorses romney (Obama 08)

Cliffy
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

Quad City Times (IA) endorses Romney (Obama 08)
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2012, 10:47:35 AM by heatmaster »

The fact that Iowa's most influential Newspaper endorses Romney speaks volumes and greatly increases Romney's chances in the Hawkeye state; talk about piling on! Romney carrying Iowa, Colorado and Wisconsin plus New Hampshire, let's not forget Romney comes neighboring Massachusetts, John Kerry had the same kind of advantage in 2004; Obama visiting N.H. on Saturday suggests to me that his campaign have some troubling internals and the fact that Obama is now having to campaign in areas where he was originally to be safe, is an acknowledgement by Obama's people that they are in trouble; look at one poll which came out today, Obama has a 66% disapproval amongst Independents, where Romney is leading; also equally troubling for Obama is that Obama has only a 46% approval rating, and considering that for most of this year, that Obama has only been polling in the late 40s. Then there is the fact that both Romney and Obama are both polling 48% in Ohio, that's 96% counted for so there is roughly 3.8% of undecideds who have yet to choose; historically undecideds break for the challenger, the only exception was in 2004, but Dubya was polling better than B.O.; also factor in those Independents and the fact Romney is level pegging with Obama with women voters; according to Michael Barone and his sources in the Battleground poll, Romney is ahead with suburban voters, so look out for that group, if Romney is doing as well with that group on Election night as this poll suggests, then Obama will be trouble. There is another dynamic to be considered, Obama's campaign keeps illustrating this fact, that he has a 21% advantage among early voters in Ohio, that might be expected as his base is going to turn out early, so that is to be expected; he needs to be concerned with actual Election day voting and there is also something that some of you might have missed, it's a tangible factor, I call it the Bradley effect in reverse, where most poll respondents lie about there intentions regarding voting for Obama, because of that "racial factor", then factor in the loss of faith in Obama's ability to manage the economy: but the Des Moines Register endorsement of Romney is telling, and I believe the Detroit News has also endorsed Romney, not good indicators for the President, not with 9 days left before election: the sad thing, as much as I abhor Chris Matthews of MSNBC contention that the reason why Obama is in the situation he's in, is because of an underlying racial bias, I now realize Matthews could be voicing fears of one of the reasons why Obama is under-performing; Judas priest! even Jerry Ford and perhaps George H.W. Bush were not doing as badly as Obama is now doing; 9 days remaining and we will see.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »

Don't forget that the last Republican they endorsed was Richard Nixon.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »

Please go away.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »

Makes sense. That's the past presidential candidate Romney most reminds me of.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »

Please use paragraph breaks. Those large blocks of text are hard to read.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

That remark about Richard Nixon, well that's appropriate considering they endorsed Barack Obama in '08, or I forgot it was cool for them to endorse Obama, but since you opened up that can of worms, yeah Nixon got nailed over Watergate, well then how do you explain Obama's behavior over Benghazi, the stone-walling that is occurring is truly epic on a Nixonesque scale; shouldn't have brought up Nixon, now it's time to draw comparisons between the lies that Obama is spinning over Benghazi, where his behavior needlessly cost the lives of 4 American; I don't recall Watergate "cost" any lives, and please don't bother making comparisons to Vietnam or Iraq, they were wars and there is going to be the sad but inevitable loss of lives; Benghazi was not a war zone, but became one, because of Obama's criminal inaction and the subsequent lying, reached truly Watergate proportions. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

Who won 49 states.  Smiley

Seriously, we have a thread for newspaper endorsements.  
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

So it's endorsements include Michael Dukakis, John Kerry and Mitt Romney?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »

Wow, not to sound like The Donald, but this is a BIG thing!

I tell you, this endorsement has the potential to move more than 50 votes!!!
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »

So it's endorsements include Michael Dukakis, John Kerry and Mitt Romney?

They endorse Walter Mondale, but not Barack Obama. I get that he ran against an idiot like Reagan but seriously, wtf?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »

That remark about Richard Nixon, well that's appropriate considering they endorsed Barack Obama in '08, or I forgot it was cool for them to endorse Obama, but since you opened up that can of worms, yeah Nixon got nailed over Watergate, well then how do you explain Obama's behavior over Benghazi, the stone-walling that is occurring is truly epic on a Nixonesque scale; shouldn't have brought up Nixon, now it's time to draw comparisons between the lies that Obama is spinning over Benghazi, where his behavior needlessly cost the lives of 4 American; I don't recall Watergate "cost" any lives, and please don't bother making comparisons to Vietnam or Iraq, they were wars and there is going to be the sad but inevitable loss of lives; Benghazi was not a war zone, but became one, because of Obama's criminal inaction and the subsequent lying, reached truly Watergate proportions.  

[citation needed]

Anyway, even if this garbage held up to the slightest critical analysis (it doesn't), you're right that a Republican President would never allow a foreign policy scandal involving a tragic loss of life to happen on their watch.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2012, 11:19:56 AM »

Bet it had a bigger impact for Obama in '08 as well!, it actually moved 50 votes then! wow!
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »

The Des Moines Register is a right-wing hack newspaper, obviously. </sarcasm>
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »

Benghazi = Watergate?

You're going to be very embarassed to read these old posts once you enter high school and take some history classes.

Things said in the heat of campaign rhetoric rarely are lucid in hindsight.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »

I think this is extremely good news for Romney. Not so much because it improves his chances in Iowa, but because its a good story, ehich will further make it seem OK for moderates to vote for Romney. Moderates from everywhere mind you - this story is even being reported in Denmark, so I assume that it is reportedly widely in the US as well.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »

Regarding the observation that Des Moines Register also endorsed Michael Dukakis and John Kerry, they like Romney are Massachusetts natives, but unlike Dukakis and Kerry, Romney is not only a Republican and no longer hold's elective office and there's an more important fact to consider, never disregard it, third time is a charm, also no Democrat with the exception of Andrew Jackson in 1832 has been elected on November 6; look at the stats, Reagan in '84, Ike in '56, Hoover in '28, McKinley in 1900, Benjamin Harrison in 1888 and Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Maybe it's time to get silly!
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »

What's a newspaper?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »

I'd rather read the Register endorsement rather than some rambling walk of text.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

I'd be surprised if the "mainstream media" even reports on the Des Moines Register endorsing Romney, they'd make a big deal of it if Obama received the endorsement, but it will only receive only glancing mention of it now, that Romney received the endorsement: New York Times, Washington Post or Los Angeles Times are unlikely to get prime position in the White House press gaggle in a Romney White House.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »

Is there a reason you don't use sentences more often?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

Please elaborate on your idiotic Benghazi = Watergate comparison.

(It's pretty disgusting that some on the fringe right are so desperate to find something, anything, to prove their Obama = Carter!!!!!111 fantasy that they're visibly gleeful at the opportunity to exploit people dying for partisan gain, but nothing new there).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies