Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141998 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: January 15, 2013, 12:07:52 AM »

I really would consider looking for an airport type job there like you were looking at with Delta in NY. I have no clue why you keep going after these tech support/sales jobs that chew you up and spit you out, but you keep doing it and I guess that's all part of the show. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1526 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 12:40:22 AM by Inks.LWC Supports Chuck Hagel »

Jeff, what good is getting something in writing if you yourself said that you would never take someone to court, even for a breach of contract?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1527 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:34 AM »

Wish my parents were well off enough to let my life be a series of zany antics.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1528 on: January 15, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »

I talked this new possible position over with my parents and they say if I am offered the position, go for it.

Other developments are as follows.  My apartment lease runs out on March 31 and I have to give them 45 days notice of my decision.  If I have not found a job by February 8, then I am going to start making arrangements to go back to Oklahoma in March.  I really don't want to do that, and I don't think it will come to that, but that is a possibility.  If I did go back to Oklahoma, I would try to find a vo-tech and get retrained in another field so I can get out of the call center trap.  Dad wants me to find anything up here that is not a call center that pays more than what I am getting now.  Dad believes my skills I learned in college are not doing a single thing for me, which I agree.  My degree has pretty much been reduced to a piece of paper.  We're still hashing out what to do.  I want to stay in Utah, I need to stay in Utah, but with my house in Oklahoma on the market, we're still paying the mortgage and the utilities, plus my rent and other bills in Utah.  The rent, mortgage, and utilities alone add up to around $1500 a month not including other bills.  Getting $12 an hour doesn't cut it and especially when I'm not getting 40 hour weeks.  I'm ashamed to say it, but my parents have been helping me out since I don't make enough right now to support myself 100%.  So I have to listen to their advice until such time as I do make enough to support myself 100%.

So, with that said, what this job is that I went to this evening is it is not a call center, but not a traditional one, rather it is base + commission sales.  You see those infomercials on late night television for products like Rosetta Stone, the non stick skillet that's been advertised, or the sham-wow products.  I will be taking phone calls for those products.  He rattled off 8 different products that we support and more coming in all the time.  The training salary is $10/hr for the first 4-5 weeks.  After that, the salary goes up to $14.00/hr with the potential to go higher.  Full benefits start after 90 days of employment and 401(k) starts after 6 months.  The training hours will be Wednesday-Sunday 8:30-17:00 and after that the hours will be primarily graveyard anywhere between 2000 and 0600 both weekend days and 3 days during the week.  I'll get 40 hours each week.  I'll make sure I get the pay in writing as well as this other statement that he made which is "most call centers give you a month or two and kick you to the curb.  We don't do that.  We will give you AT LEAST a 1 year commitment if you give the same commitment back to us."  I have a second interview with them next Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 15:00.

Bushie,

I work in Mortgage Sales.  Different field, but still sales based.  Its difficult, and know what you are getting into and the set up before you do.

There are generally three breakdowns of how a base + commission job works.  There can be different variations within each one, but its important to know the basics of each.

1.  Base + Commission.  The easiest and most straight forward, also the least risky.  It is how it sounds, you get a base salary and a commission on top of that.

2.  Base/Draw Combo + Commission.  You do get paid a salary, but it is as a draw.  Any commissions you receive first go to pay any draw balance if any exists.  Or you get a portion of the commission and the rest goes to pay down any draw balance.  If you have no draw balance, you get the full commission.  With this set up, you do have a guarentted minimum that you will get and you won't have to pay back any draw balance.  However, if your balance gets too high you will likely get s** canned.

3.  Draw vs Commission.  Same as above, you get paid a salary as a draw.  If you have no draw balance, you get any full commissions.  If you have a draw balance, once you get a sale, you will either have to first pay back a draw balance before you get any commission, or get a small portion of the commission, with the rest paying down a draw balance.  One MAJOR drawback is unlike #2, you CAN be liable to pay back any draws.

Be VERY careful in understanding the base/draw and commission structure.  Many places might advertise a base when its technically a draw.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1529 on: January 15, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »

At least something is happening in this tragedy now. Only 2 days after Bushie turns down another job to "wait and see what they will do," he gets canned. Of course, this is one of the reoccurring themes in this series. I applaud the writers for at least changing the topic off weather and Sizzler's steakhouse.

The thing is I'm not gone, yet.  I still have 6 1/2 weeks before I become a free agent.

Inks, to be honest, I don't believe this guy that there is a year guarantee.  I even have a tough time believing the $14.  That's why I want to get both in writing.  That's also why I am not going to put all my eggs in that basket.  I've got something else I'm going to check out tomorrow after work.

I have two places to go tomorrow, one being the Indian doctor in Utah so I can at least get my Indian health services transferred up here.

I do feel bad for taking off so much VTO, but there's nothing I can do about that now.

Going back to Oklahoma into my parents house is the absolute worst case scenario and last resort.  Moving to Oklahoma is my second-to-the-worst case scenario because I have the ability to pull my house off the market.  The cheapest scenario and the best case scenario and my desire is staying in Utah in this apartment and extending this lease.  I am very confident I'll have a job before February 8 when I need to make arrangements on where I go from here.  I will find something.  I am willing to give sales a shot if there is a manageable base salary attached.  Also, the possibility does exist, albeit very small, that the cut will be canceled.

You were warned... but the thing is... if you don't make a target of sales... won't you get canned anyway?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1530 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »

I talked this new possible position over with my parents and they say if I am offered the position, go for it.

Other developments are as follows.  My apartment lease runs out on March 31 and I have to give them 45 days notice of my decision.  If I have not found a job by February 8, then I am going to start making arrangements to go back to Oklahoma in March.  I really don't want to do that, and I don't think it will come to that, but that is a possibility.  If I did go back to Oklahoma, I would try to find a vo-tech and get retrained in another field so I can get out of the call center trap.  Dad wants me to find anything up here that is not a call center that pays more than what I am getting now.  Dad believes my skills I learned in college are not doing a single thing for me, which I agree.  My degree has pretty much been reduced to a piece of paper.  We're still hashing out what to do.  I want to stay in Utah, I need to stay in Utah, but with my house in Oklahoma on the market, we're still paying the mortgage and the utilities, plus my rent and other bills in Utah.  The rent, mortgage, and utilities alone add up to around $1500 a month not including other bills.  Getting $12 an hour doesn't cut it and especially when I'm not getting 40 hour weeks.  I'm ashamed to say it, but my parents have been helping me out since I don't make enough right now to support myself 100%.  So I have to listen to their advice until such time as I do make enough to support myself 100%.

So, with that said, what this job is that I went to this evening is it is not a call center, but not a traditional one, rather it is base + commission sales.  You see those infomercials on late night television for products like Rosetta Stone, the non stick skillet that's been advertised, or the sham-wow products.  I will be taking phone calls for those products.  He rattled off 8 different products that we support and more coming in all the time.  The training salary is $10/hr for the first 4-5 weeks.  After that, the salary goes up to $14.00/hr with the potential to go higher.  Full benefits start after 90 days of employment and 401(k) starts after 6 months.  The training hours will be Wednesday-Sunday 8:30-17:00 and after that the hours will be primarily graveyard anywhere between 2000 and 0600 both weekend days and 3 days during the week.  I'll get 40 hours each week.  I'll make sure I get the pay in writing as well as this other statement that he made which is "most call centers give you a month or two and kick you to the curb.  We don't do that.  We will give you AT LEAST a 1 year commitment if you give the same commitment back to us."  I have a second interview with them next Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 15:00.

Bushie,

I work in Mortgage Sales.  Different field, but still sales based.  Its difficult, and know what you are getting into and the set up before you do.

There are generally three breakdowns of how a base + commission job works.  There can be different variations within each one, but its important to know the basics of each.

1.  Base + Commission.  The easiest and most straight forward, also the least risky.  It is how it sounds, you get a base salary and a commission on top of that.

2.  Base/Draw Combo + Commission.  You do get paid a salary, but it is as a draw.  Any commissions you receive first go to pay any draw balance if any exists.  Or you get a portion of the commission and the rest goes to pay down any draw balance.  If you have no draw balance, you get the full commission.  With this set up, you do have a guarentted minimum that you will get and you won't have to pay back any draw balance.  However, if your balance gets too high you will likely get s** canned.

3.  Draw vs Commission.  Same as above, you get paid a salary as a draw.  If you have no draw balance, you get any full commissions.  If you have a draw balance, once you get a sale, you will either have to first pay back a draw balance before you get any commission, or get a small portion of the commission, with the rest paying down a draw balance.  One MAJOR drawback is unlike #2, you CAN be liable to pay back any draws.

Be VERY careful in understanding the base/draw and commission structure.  Many places might advertise a base when its technically a draw.
These schemes are for actual jobs, not scams.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1531 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »

Bushie,

LOL, true, although I wouldn't be surprised if the structure of the scam is like #3, and six months from now Bushie is posting about he is being sued for his $10,000 draw balance.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1532 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »

Bushie,

I work in Mortgage Sales.  Different field, but still sales based.  Its difficult, and know what you are getting into and the set up before you do.

There are generally three breakdowns of how a base + commission job works.  There can be different variations within each one, but its important to know the basics of each.

1.  Base + Commission.  The easiest and most straight forward, also the least risky.  It is how it sounds, you get a base salary and a commission on top of that.

2.  Base/Draw Combo + Commission.  You do get paid a salary, but it is as a draw.  Any commissions you receive first go to pay any draw balance if any exists.  Or you get a portion of the commission and the rest goes to pay down any draw balance.  If you have no draw balance, you get the full commission.  With this set up, you do have a guarentted minimum that you will get and you won't have to pay back any draw balance.  However, if your balance gets too high you will likely get s** canned.

3.  Draw vs Commission.  Same as above, you get paid a salary as a draw.  If you have no draw balance, you get any full commissions.  If you have a draw balance, once you get a sale, you will either have to first pay back a draw balance before you get any commission, or get a small portion of the commission, with the rest paying down a draw balance.  One MAJOR drawback is unlike #2, you CAN be liable to pay back any draws.

Be VERY careful in understanding the base/draw and commission structure.  Many places might advertise a base when its technically a draw.

LOL, true, although I wouldn't be surprised if the structure of the scam is like #3, and six months from now Bushie is posting about he is being sued for his $10,000 draw balance.

I'm well aware of the three types of base + commish sales pay.  I didn't hear any talk of a draw or anything that sounded like a draw Monday evening.  He broke down the pay structure and from the outside it looks just like Scenario 1 - base salary + commission.  He said with commission, I can reach $17-$20 an hour.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1533 on: January 15, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »

Oh nice, the Indian health coverage story-line is coming back into play.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1534 on: January 15, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »

Things may seem as if they're gloomy over here, but I have a lot of confidence right now.  It was not a shock today to hear that my job was going to get cut.  What was the shocker is that they are not going to start cutting until March 1.  That settled my heart back down.  This isn't my first rodeo.  I have been down this road too many times before and I'm becoming an old pro at it.  I'm excited going forward into Tuesday and beyond.  I honestly believe it won't be long before I have a job to replace the one I have now.  I'm confident I won't really even lose any money.  In fact, this may turn out to be beneficial for me as I stand a much better chance of pulling 40 hour weeks.  I'll be alright.  If I do have to move back to Oklahoma, I'm going to hold my head up and do it with class.  There are worse states I could move to.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1535 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:36 AM »

Things may seem as if they're gloomy over here, but I have a lot of confidence right now.  It was not a shock today to hear that my job was going to get cut.  What was the shocker is that they are not going to start cutting until March 1.  That settled my heart back down.  This isn't my first rodeo.  I have been down this road too many times before and I'm becoming an old pro at it.  I'm excited going forward into Tuesday and beyond.  I honestly believe it won't be long before I have a job to replace the one I have now.  I'm confident I won't really even lose any money.  In fact, this may turn out to be beneficial for me as I stand a much better chance of pulling 40 hour weeks.  I'll be alright.  If I do have to move back to Oklahoma, I'm going to hold my head up and do it with class.  There are worse states I could move to.

You're becoming an old pro at what? Getting fired? That's not really a good thing. Your resume must look like a f[Ink]ing nightmare at this point.

Also, I'm not sure that there are worse states that you could move to. Oklahoma is pretty awful.

By the way, what was the first job that you looked into today? Why was it an automatic non-starter in your view?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1536 on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1537 on: January 15, 2013, 05:29:18 AM »

Why have you never looked at something like this?

http://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=McDonalds&l=Salt+Lake+City%2C+UT
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1538 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »

There is all this talk about your eggs, and your basket... and yet after months you've still yet to tell us anything more specific on this basket. Is it wicker? Plastic? Come on, the people deserve to know.

Also, there has to be more than call center and sales positions. How many jobs in these two fields have you had since you let ONG? They aren't working.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1539 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »

Also, I'm not sure that there are worse states that you could move to. Oklahoma is pretty awful.

Florida?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1540 on: January 15, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

If he ended up in NYC, I'd up my subscription again.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1541 on: January 15, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

I'm cancelling my subscription.  Have fun!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1542 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »

God, I know where this is going. He will end up back in OK looking for a call center job once again. He won't live with his parents though. They will continue to pay for his house. I still can't imagine how they are affording all of this. BushKE never struck me as being a particularly wealthy guy or coming from money. But we don't know a lot about his family. I think he revealed his mom worked at HR Block in a flashback a few seasons ago.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1543 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »

A job where you have to stand up for 8 hours?! Come on Franzl.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1544 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

God, I know where this is going. He will end up back in OK looking for a call center job once again. He won't live with his parents though. They will continue to pay for his house. I still can't imagine how they are affording all of this. BushKE never struck me as being a particularly wealthy guy or coming from money. But we don't know a lot about his family. I think he revealed his mom worked at HR Block in a flashback a few seasons ago.

I agree, honey bear. I don't think they are wealthy. If he went back to OK and lived with his parents, he should just do a total reset. Stop with the call centers, stop with sales.. just try and find a secure job, and take it from there...and when you are ready, find your own place again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1545 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »

At least he'd be unlikely to get fired. On the other hand, it wouldn't be a great idea for his weight loss efforts.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

I'm still at work, about to get off in 30 minutes.  Things are still very fluid and have a tendency to change.  They're still planning on beginning the layoffs on March 1, but the news today is that there is debate as to where the draw the line on cuts.  Right now, as of yesterday, my class which came in November 6 is on the line and they don't know if the cuts will reach my class or stop with the class that came in December 3.  Right now, nobody knows if my class will be cut or not.  We're pretty sure the September 24 class (the class preceding mine) is safe.  We're also pretty sure the December 3 (the class succeeding mine) is in jeopardy.  What happens, though, with my class, is the big question mark in the room.  I'm going to act as if my class will be cut, because I don't want to get to March 1 and become a free agent with nothing to fall back on.  On the other hand, I don't want to start over unnecessarily.  I'm already well established at Xerox and was on track to become permanent anytime between February and May where I might get a raise.  The calls the past two days indicate the pace is starting to pick up.  We're still slow, but the open slots for VTO are not as numerous.  Most days there have been 7-8 slots open for VTO.  Yesterday, there was no VTO.  Today, there were only 4 slots for VTO and nothing forced.  Things seem to be picking up which makes me think the March 1 cuts may be canceled altogether, because the last thing the company wants to do is cut half the staff on March 1 and then find themselves in a pickle and missing SLA and have to turn right around and hire more staff before April 1.  That's one reason why my class may or may not be safe.  They may not make that decision for a while until they can forecast March, April, and May traffic.  So, I'll talk to my parents, but there is a possibility I may be staying at Xerox long past March 1.  If I can, that would be the most ideal scenario.  I was going to go seek out another sales opportunity this afternoon, but I may go on home instead.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1547 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »

Perhaps not surfing the Atlas forum while on the job would increase your chances of retaining this job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1548 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 04:38:21 PM by memphis »

Bushie, have you applied for food stamps? Sounds like you should qualify. It's a free $100 or so per month. You owe it to your parents to return every dime to them that you can. That includes living with them and working as much as possible, unless they explicitly request otherwise. OK is a good place for you anyway. You need a location where people, on average, are not overly ambitious. Americans who move to New York (other than rich kids looking to party) do so because they want to be CEO of the world. Trust me, that's not you.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1549 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »

I'm still at work, about to get off in 30 minutes.  Things are still very fluid and have a tendency to change.  They're still planning on beginning the layoffs on March 1, but the news today is that there is debate as to where the draw the line on cuts.  Right now, as of yesterday, my class which came in November 6 is on the line and they don't know if the cuts will reach my class or stop with the class that came in December 3.  Right now, nobody knows if my class will be cut or not.  We're pretty sure the September 24 class (the class preceding mine) is safe.  We're also pretty sure the December 3 (the class succeeding mine) is in jeopardy.  What happens, though, with my class, is the big question mark in the room.  I'm going to act as if my class will be cut, because I don't want to get to March 1 and become a free agent with nothing to fall back on.  On the other hand, I don't want to start over unnecessarily.  I'm already well established at Xerox and was on track to become permanent anytime between February and May where I might get a raise.  The calls the past two days indicate the pace is starting to pick up.  We're still slow, but the open slots for VTO are not as numerous.  Most days there have been 7-8 slots open for VTO.  Yesterday, there was no VTO.  Today, there were only 4 slots for VTO and nothing forced.  Things seem to be picking up which makes me think the March 1 cuts may be canceled altogether, because the last thing the company wants to do is cut half the staff on March 1 and then find themselves in a pickle and missing SLA and have to turn right around and hire more staff before April 1.  That's one reason why my class may or may not be safe.  They may not make that decision for a while until they can forecast March, April, and May traffic.  So, I'll talk to my parents, but there is a possibility I may be staying at Xerox long past March 1.  If I can, that would be the most ideal scenario.  I was going to go seek out another sales opportunity this afternoon, but I may go on home instead.

Giving up on the job hunt already? Yeah, this is going to end well...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies