Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:23:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141989 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: December 26, 2012, 12:53:25 AM »

They were going to have beverage service? Which airline was this? Were you not in coach?

I was on US Airways in the back of coach.  Most airlines from what I've found do offer at least something to drink complimentary and I've traveled quite a few different Airlines this past year - Delta, Southwest, United, and US Airways.  Southwest even throws in free pretzels and/or peanuts.  I haven't flown American in 4 1/2 years since I worked in Atlanta for the summer of 2008, so I don't know their beverage/snack policy, but I know the ones I mentioned do.  Of course, its been since March that I flew Delta, so they may have even changed policy over the Summer and Autumn months.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #951 on: December 26, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

Yes, but I hope you're not implying that my non-normalcy is somehow bad...

You've lost how many jobs?  I mean, it's good that you're employed now, but don't you ever wonder where you'd have been?

Yes, but I don't dwell on what could have been.  I dwell on what I need to do moving forward.  I don't live life looking in the rear-view mirror.  I try to keep my eyes on the road.

OK, but what lessons have you learned from the past?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #952 on: December 26, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »

They were going to have beverage service? Which airline was this? Were you not in coach?

Pretty sure he means the selling of Sprites and whatnot that goes on in the horrible US airlines between takeoff and landing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #953 on: December 26, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »

Pretty sure he means the selling of Sprites and whatnot that goes on in the horrible US airlines between takeoff and landing.

Yes, they were soft drinks, mainly.  They did offer alcoholic beverages for a fee.  I stuck with the soft drinks, because I knew I had to drive home!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #954 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »

As far as I know, domestic airlines have never given alcohol for free. I remember the old days of reheated meals and free checked bags, but cocktails were always extra. It was quite a surprise to me when I flew Lufthansas in Europe and got free alcohol.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #955 on: December 26, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »

A storm update:  Christmas Eve delivered roughly 5" of snow to Salt Lake City.  There was a break Tuesday, but more fell today with about 2-3".  The roads are bone dry with just an occasional black ice spot.  However, the bulk of the storm is coming in overnight tonight with another 6-8" by 7:00 am Thursday.  The good news is that this is a colder storm so its ALL snow and no mix.  I should be fine getting to work in the morning, but I will be monitoring it closely.  The snow is starting to come down now.  The majority of the storm will be out of here by 7:00-8:00 am Thursday with just another inch or two the rest of the day and even that will be out by late Thursday night or early Friday morning.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #956 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

How about work?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #957 on: December 26, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »

Ill get there somehow, someway!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #958 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »

Going to church on Sunday?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #959 on: December 26, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »

Most likely, yes, because after the storm moves out tomorrow night, we should be dry, sunny, and cold the remainder of the year.  There's another small system coming in Sunday evening with snow showers, but at most an inch out of that one.  The next storm of any consequence looks like it will arrive the first weekend of 2013.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #960 on: December 27, 2012, 05:28:07 AM »

Most likely, yes, because after the storm moves out tomorrow night, we should be dry, sunny, and cold the remainder of the year.  There's another small system coming in Sunday evening with snow showers, but at most an inch out of that one.  The next storm of any consequence looks like it will arrive the first weekend of 2013.

How could you possibly know the weather 11 days in advance?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #961 on: December 27, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »

As far as I know, domestic airlines have never given alcohol for free. I remember the old days of reheated meals and free checked bags, but cocktails were always extra. It was quite a surprise to me when I flew Lufthansas in Europe and got free alcohol.

They used to on transatlantic flights. A few still do, actually. I got a free beer on American.

That said, I do try to avoid US based airlines whenever possible.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #962 on: December 27, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »

Inks,

Nobody knows the weather 10-11 days out really, but this information is based on our local meteorologists.  I'm beginning to doubt it, though, because Weather.com which has a 10-day forecast that goes through Saturday, January 5, 2013, shows dry and cold.  Then again, they rarely ever show snow for us.  Weather Underground goes through Sunday, January 6, and it also shows dry and cold.  We'll see how it pans out.  10 days out is a long time in the weather world, so anything can and probably will change, but it gives me an idea of what is to come.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #963 on: December 27, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

We've got a foot of snow on the ground outside with the last few flakes falling.  I was able to drive to work this morning just fine.  It normally takes me 3 minutes to get to work and it took me 7 minutes, so not bad at all.  There was a little snow on the roads, but it was a small film of snow instead of a full snow pack.  I just took it slow and easy and got there in one piece.  It was so slow at work today that I was let off work at 10:00.  It will probably be a short day tomorrow and Monday, as well.  Wednesday-Thursday, January 2-3, 2013, I will be working 2 to 2 1/2 hours overtime each evening.  Wednesday is mandatory 2 hours OT and Thursday is voluntary.  I will not work overtime next Friday and likely not the next Monday, but January 8-10, I will probably work an hour OT each night.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #964 on: December 27, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

Dude why are you calling voluntary time-off when they're telling  you to leave early?  And why aren't you working every overtime minute possible?  $$$, you see.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: December 27, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

Dude why are you calling voluntary time-off when they're telling  you to leave early?  And why aren't you working every overtime minute possible?  $$$, you see.

They call it VTO.  They needed volunteers to go home, and I went home.  I'll be working quite a bit of overtime in January, but I refuse to cut into my weekend!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #966 on: December 27, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

They call it VTO.  They needed volunteers to go home, and I went home.  I'll be working quite a bit of overtime in January, but I refuse to cut into my weekend!

What, you're social life is so crucial you'll pass up on much needed money for bills?  Roll Eyes
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #967 on: December 27, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »

What, you're social life is so crucial you'll pass up on much needed money for bills?  Roll Eyes

I will have 3-4 days each week to work overtime, which in a 2 week pay period that is the equivalent of an extra day's pay.

I am not going to over work myself, because I do get tired somewhat easily and I can burn out.  I need the money, yes, but I also need time to relax.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #968 on: December 27, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

Some very blunt foreshadowing here. We're due for some permanent involuntary time off very soon.http://
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #969 on: December 27, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »

None of that on the docket, memphis.  It could happen, but I actually helped my job by leaving early, because they don't have to pay the extra man hours in pitifully slow call volume.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #970 on: December 27, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

One thing I noticed today at work and is a good thing is that I was called on today to help train the last batch of new employees before our January rush hits.  I was honored.  It was only for a half hour from 9:30-10:00 as I was sent home due to low call volume, but it was a little bit!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #971 on: December 28, 2012, 02:01:38 AM »

Inks,

Nobody knows the weather 10-11 days out really, but this information is based on our local meteorologists.  I'm beginning to doubt it, though, because Weather.com which has a 10-day forecast that goes through Saturday, January 5, 2013, shows dry and cold.  Then again, they rarely ever show snow for us.  Weather Underground goes through Sunday, January 6, and it also shows dry and cold.  We'll see how it pans out.  10 days out is a long time in the weather world, so anything can and probably will change, but it gives me an idea of what is to come.

No, a 10-day winter forecast does not give you any idea of what is to come.  Other than maybe a general pattern of either a ridge or a trough, you have no idea what the weather will be that far in advance during the winter.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #972 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

Well, there goes another day!  I got to work this morning at 6:00 am and took a grand total of ZERO calls before they told me to go home at 8:15.  This is a rare instance where I am actually protecting my job by leaving work early.  I am helping them out by not charging them the man hours.  I need the money, but I need the job more.  I only heard one person out of 20 agents take a single call, and that wasn't until after 8:00 am and she went home right behind me.  This week was very puny in terms of work hours, as I got a grand total of 6.33 hours on this check (I clocked out officially at 8:20 am).  Monday will likely be a bit busier so I should be able to stay longer, possibly until around Noon, but it will still be pretty slow.  I've already committed to working 2 1/2 hours overtime both Wednesday and Thursday and possibly a half hour Friday for a total of 5 hours committed, 5 1/2 hours possible of overtime.  That will help out a little.  It won't make up for all of it, but I will be working overtime the rest of January to make up for it little by little.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #973 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »

If you worked a 40 hour minimum wage Wal-Mart job, you'd make more money than with these crazy hours. And if you count the back-and-forth to Oklahoma, you'd have a lot more of your money left over...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #974 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

The end is nigh.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length