Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:30:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141991 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »

Interesting note, if I add an extra day per week to my exercise from 3 days to 4 days, it buys me an extra 80-100 calories a day.

With that kind of outlook, Bushie, you won't get anywhere.

Hey, i'm just regurgitating what the link that Franzl provided told me.  For an extra day of exercise, I can have an extra 75-100 calories a day and be fine.  There's not a whole lot you can get for under 100 calories, so its not a big increase.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2012, 07:30:03 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

the fact that you choose to unnecessarily increase your daily calorie in count, instead of increase your calorie out count, shows that you don't sincerely care about this.  It shows that you prioritize getting away with increasing your calories out over the equivalent reduction in calories.

Don't write me a three-paragraph emotive response to this, because I won't read that noise.  If you can't show that this prioritizes calories out over calories in, it's bullsh**t.  Stop deluding yourself, and stop wasting everyone's time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »

the fact that you choose to unnecessarily increase your daily calorie in count, instead of increase your calorie out count, shows that you don't sincerely care about this.  It shows that you prioritize getting away with increasing your calories out over the equivalent reduction in calories.

Don't write me a three-paragraph emotive response to this, because I won't read that noise.  If you can't show that this prioritizes calories out over calories in, it's bullsh**t.  Stop deluding yourself, and stop wasting everyone's time.

I'm just telling what the link shows.  It doesn't mean I'm going to milk the extra calories for all they are worth.  I guess you've also missed the post that I have started exercising.  I guess the 2.5 miles yesterday doesn't even show up?  What do I have to do? Exercise and starve?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »

the fact that you choose to unnecessarily increase your daily calorie in count, instead of increase your calorie out count, shows that you don't sincerely care about this.  It shows that you prioritize getting away with increasing your calories out over the equivalent reduction in calories.

Don't write me a three-paragraph emotive response to this, because I won't read that noise.  If you can't show that this prioritizes calories out over calories in, it's bullsh**t.  Stop deluding yourself, and stop wasting everyone's time.

I'm just telling what the link shows.  It doesn't mean I'm going to milk the extra calories for all they are worth.  I guess you've also missed the post that I have started exercising.  I guess the 2.5 miles yesterday doesn't even show up?  What do I have to do? Exercise and starve?

Again, your anecdote-laden three-paragraph explanations are of no use to me.  You accomplish things by setting standards and then following through on them.  When I see you writing something like this...

"For an extra day of exercise, I can have an extra 75-100 calories a day and be fine."

...it's a red flag you're not doing that.  If you are exercising and reducing your calories as much as you can without doing greater damage to your quality of life, great.  If not, start.  The rest is noise, and I think you abuse that noise to rationalize and to get attention, and I'm not indulging it.  I'm interested in the standard-setting and the follow-through and little else.

Also, bro, I never told you to "exercise and starve."  Check yourself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »

I'm just telling what the link shows.  It doesn't mean I'm going to milk the extra calories for all they are worth.  I guess you've also missed the post that I have started exercising.  I guess the 2.5 miles yesterday doesn't even show up?  What do I have to do? Exercise and starve?

Again, your anecdote-laden three-paragraph explanations are of no use to me.  You accomplish things by setting standards and then following through on them.  When I see you writing something like this...

"For an extra day of exercise, I can have an extra 75-100 calories a day and be fine."

...it's a red flag you're not doing that.  If you are exercising and reducing your calories as much as you can without doing greater damage to your quality of life, great.  If not, start.  The rest is noise, and I think you abuse that noise to rationalize and to get attention, and I'm not indulging it.  I'm interested in the standard-setting and the follow-through and little else.

Also, bro, I never told you to "exercise and starve."  Check yourself.

If you want to check the link that Franzl provided for yourself, you will see exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm not going to use the extra 75-100 calories, but I'm not making it up.

Yesterday, I had 2,700 calories using Inks' model.  Today, so far, I've had 1,100 calories and about ready to have dinner.

I know you didn't say "exercise and starve", I just got frustrated that nobody was bothering to check the link that Franzl provided and was lambasting me for just saying what it shows.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »

After dinner, I am at 2,000 calories on the day.  With it getting later in the day, I doubt I'll have anything else tonight.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Bushie should be aiming for 2000 calories or so.

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

Today, I weigh 269.6 which is a loss of 0.6 lbs. Water weight to be sure.

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.

Yeah, becasue 270 is really heavy.  3,200 sounds about right to maintain that high of a weight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.

Yeah, becasue 270 is really heavy.  3,200 sounds about right to maintain that high of a weight.

Is 3,200 calories weight maintenance or is it weight loss?  The reason I ask is I fell 500 calories shy of that yesterday and still only lost 3/4 pound.  Right now, I am sitting at only 1,980 for today, and its already 7:30 pm.  I'm thinking about getting something light, maybe Malt-o-Meal hot cereal for a snack, but I still won't get anywhere near 3,200.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »

Bushie, we generally naturally underestimate how many calories we are taking in.  Honestly, if you are serious about losing weight shoot for about 2000 calories.  If you choose the rights foods, you will be full and get all of your nutritional needs. You are also probably eating around 2600-2700 in actuality.

Also re: doing activity 3 times a week.  For a man in your position that is crap. Do you think our hunter gatherer ancestors, or er Adam and Eve, sat on their a$$ 4 days a week? No, they were out walking constantly trying to get food.  This is how we are built genetically.  If you are serious about this make it a daily thing as part of your lifestyle.  Walk everywhere and be active.  It is only recently that we as a species, and mainly only those in the west,  are generally sedentary for extended periods of time throughout the day. We were stalking deer, plowing fields or even working at a factory until recently.   Going out daily and getting an hour or so of exercise a day won't kill you. Eating ding dongs and watching football all day without any activity will.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »

Is 3,200 calories weight maintenance or is it weight loss?  The reason I ask is I fell 500 calories shy of that yesterday and still only lost 3/4 pound.  Right now, I am sitting at only 1,980 for today, and its already 7:30 pm.  I'm thinking about getting something light, maybe Malt-o-Meal hot cereal for a snack, but I still won't get anywhere near 3,200.

Maintenance.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Maintenance.

That's what I thought.  I'm going to focus on staying right around 2,500 calories a day and walking 3-5 times a week.

Patrick, while I do eventually want to get to an hour a day every day, I am not going to start that much immediately.  I'm going to work up to it.

You may have noticed, but I burn out extremely easy.  What profit would it be if I started full throttle right off the bat and burn out a week, two weeks, a month down the road?  Rather, the proper course of action, is to pace myself initially and work myself up to 60-75 minutes a day.  Plus, 3 days a week at 45 minutes each is a whole lot better than doing absolutely nothing for 7 days a week.  The burn out fear is also why I'm not going to drop to 2,000 calories immediately.  First off, the link that Franzl provided tells me to stay between 2,300-2,500 and that anything below 2,150 is borderline dangerous for my weight, especially on the days I walk.  So, I'm going to start off at 2,500 and as my weight drops, I'll lower the calorie intake.  If I aim for 2,000 calories immediately, I will have stronger cravings for junk food and it is too easy for me to give in to the cravings.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »

You will find out what works and doesn't work for you.  And the thing is, it is all up to you. You arent in the Marine Corps with some DI screaming at you to run.  You succeed and fail on your own.

Let me give you a brief insight into what worked for me:

I receive motivation from results and tend toward the extreme on either side of things.  I was tired of feeling and looking like hell and eager to get back to a semblance of my athletic past.  So I started out doing a lot and restricting calories to around 1900.  In retrospect I overdid it but seeing consistent 5lbs off every week kept me into it.  The more weight I lost the easier it got to walk, exercise, live.

A key for long term health is that you should identify what trips you up, where you want to get to and why.  My roadblocks were that I was/am an alcoholic.  I drank too much, got lazy, ate too much, got depressed etc etc.  I plateaued for some months because I tried to be fit and a not very functioning drunk at the same time.   I sought out some therapy/help and got my life in order again. Excess- Food and drink had helped me deal with unresolved personal issues.

And it really does help to examine why we keep making the same mistakes over and again.  From what you post it seems you could use serious introspection and some hard truth telling to yourself on this topic. I'm still neurotic as hell with plenty of faults but I am more self aware of them and the traps I set for myself. Basically; and forgive me for the presumptuousness: your career and weight loss issues are linked.  I'd like you to accomplish your goals so I think you should find out why you are continually sabotaging and/or deluding yourself.  Stop playing dumb on here and sort it out.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »

Good post, Patrick, thank you.  I will definitely be figuring out what works best for me and what triggers cause me to do such things.  I am not in the Marine Corps, so I'm not under any real time crunch here, other than my life clock which is going to tick down and eventually expire whether I lose weight or not.  So, if my first attempt doesn't succeed, I can come back for a second attempt and a third attempt and so on until I find out exactly what works for me.  You and I have something in common, we are driven by results.  When I started losing weight a year ago, I was dropping like 3-4 lbs a week.  I gave up when I leveled off a couple of months later.  Then, I went to Kenya, and never got back to it.  I've made a few half hearted attempts since then, but nothing that really stuck.  I'm hoping and praying and determined that this attempt will be different.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »

Well then as our friend Nix alluded to just above, why even describe it as an attempt.  As the great philosopher once said.  Do or do not, there is no try.  Set a goal, then accomplish that goal. Nice and simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #439 on: November 25, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »

2,500 sounds alright, actually. It's certainly low enough for gradual wait loss at the moment.

(I'm not sure that link knows everything, it's numbers just seem plausible. And work for me.)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »

I finished the day in the 2,500-2,600 calorie range, so I should be okay by morning.  I'm well shy of the 3,200 maintenance calories and I'm closer to my 2,500 goal.  We'll see if I can drop just a bit by morning.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »

I finished the day in the 2,500-2,600 calorie range, so I should be okay by morning.  I'm well shy of the 3,200 maintenance calories and I'm closer to my 2,500 goal.  We'll see if I can drop just a bit by morning.

It's a slow process. You have to consume 3,500 calories less than maintenance to lose just 1 pound.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »

I am very low on my calorie intake for the day.  I'm sitting at a grand total of 500 calories.  I had no breakfast, and just had a Lunchable for lunch.  I'm about ready to find something for dinner after the 5:00 pm newscast.  I probably should find a few more calories.

Edit:  I'm closer to 400 calories than 500.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »

Lunchable? How old are you, seven? But you needn't starve yourself. Eat a lot of celery, it's good for you and has a lot of water in it- very filling.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »

Lunchable? How old are you, seven? But you needn't starve yourself. Eat a lot of celery, it's good for you and has a lot of water in it- very filling.

It's all about convenience and cheap.  I finally did get some supper, so I'm sitting at about 1,700 calories on the day.  Its still low, but I'm not starving right now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:59 PM »

I am very low on my calorie intake for the day.  I'm sitting at a grand total of 500 calories.  I had no breakfast, and just had a Lunchable for lunch.  I'm about ready to find something for dinner after the 5:00 pm newscast.  I probably should find a few more calories.

If you're going to skip a meal, don't make it breakfast - that's what jump starts your metabolism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »

Establishing healthful habits is more important than closely tracking your daily calorie intake. Don't eat a "lunchable." Have an apple and some yogurt tomorrow instead. Keep doing whatever is easiest and cheapest and you'll be dead before you're 60.

Exactly.  If your calories are all from high sodium crap like lunchables (which I have never had... not even one), you're going to end up with other problems.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

I am very low on my calorie intake for the day.  I'm sitting at a grand total of 500 calories.  I had no breakfast, and just had a Lunchable for lunch.  I'm about ready to find something for dinner after the 5:00 pm newscast.  I probably should find a few more calories.

If you're going to skip a meal, don't make it breakfast - that's what jump starts your metabolism.

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, yet it is the meal I most often skip.  I guess it wouldn't hurt me to get up a half hour earlier to fix a little something.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: November 26, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »

Establishing healthful habits is more important than closely tracking your daily calorie intake. Don't eat a "lunchable." Have an apple and some yogurt tomorrow instead. Keep doing whatever is easiest and cheapest and you'll be dead before you're 60.

Exactly.  If your calories are all from high sodium crap like lunchables (which I have never had... not even one), you're going to end up with other problems.

That's not actually true. Eating breakfast doesn't change your metabolism, but it does have other beneficial effects. You'll have more energy and you're less likely to gorge yourself on on junk food later in the day.

My problem is I tend to eat breakfast at the wrong end of the day.  I enjoy it for the first meal of the day, and I also enjoy breakfast for dinner.  That's one habit I will have to significantly reduce if I want to be successful at losing weight.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »

Nix, an important thing to note is that there are short term and long term goals. You know who eats a lot of apples and yogurt and assorted health food, fat chicks.  The denial of comfort food altogether eventually leads people to gorge themselves on cake and completely stop altogether. You are not going to break 30 years of poor eating habits quickly.  By tracking his calorie count and exercising, he will run a deficit and he will lose weight. By losing weight and getting active his blood pressure will go down and his energy level will increase.  It will eventually get to where he will lose his taste for some of the artery clogging foods.  I really think you have to build up to certain things; you just don't flip a switch and start liking healthy food over Arby's overnight.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies