Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141785 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »

The fail is so dense in this thread that not even light can escape. What are we mere mortals to do?

Give up for there is no hope...

Is that your diet motto?  You had Thanksgiving dinner at McDonald's.  And what is your reason for waiting until January 1 to start eating "healthy"?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »

The fail is so dense in this thread that not even light can escape. What are we mere mortals to do?

Give up for there is no hope...

Is that your diet motto?  You had Thanksgiving dinner at McDonald's.  And what is your reason for waiting until January 1 to start eating "healthy"?

Haha, nice try there, Inks.  I had a "regular" Thanksgiving lunch at Golden Corral at 11:00, but then I got hungry later in the evening and so upon impulse, I went to Mickey's.  If you will reread my post from earlier, I am going to get started with some light cooking in December when I go to Walmart the next time (hence, the spaghetti), but as far as full-fledged experimentation and cooking, I will wait until January so i can get Christmas behind me.  Again, I will be doing some light cooking the next 5 1/2 weeks, but I'm not going to go all out until January 2.  During the next month, I will be digging up some recipes online and will be asking my mother and grandmother for some of their recipes.  I do plan to do quite a bit of experimentation in January.

What do you mean "nice try"?  You did have Thanksgiving dinner at McDonald's.  The fact that you went out to 2 unhealthy places in one holiday makes it even worse.

And what is it about the month of December that means you can't make something more complex than boxed spaghetti with canned sauce with (I'll give you credit for this) browned meat?  I mean - you could make some easy things like enchiladas, your own burritos, chicken casserole.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »

jesus, so not complicated.

calories out > calories in = weight loss
calories in > calories out = more fat

the longer you bullsh**t yourself about waiting, the more "calories in" will exceed "calories out."  plus, every time you bullsh**t and wait, it turns out to have not been justified.  how can I tell?  because you're fatter than you'd have been if you'd just started immediately.  so, stop bullsh**tting and just start doing it.  I don't care about your reasons or anecdotes.  This is simple math and you are failing over and over.

First and only time I'll post in this thread, if I get the response I expect.

I guess everyone forgets that I did lose 25 pounds starting about a year ago and that in the past 8 months, I've only gained 5 pounds of that back.  I will be getting back to it starting with my next trip to Walmart which will occur on December 1.  In the mean time, I will be eating less with what I've already got, so as not to waste money.  I will be having things like the aforementioned spaghetti, soft tacos, macaroni and cheese, etc.  The reason I don't do a whole lot in December is because of the multiple Christmas parties scattered about the entire month.  This December, I will have at least 3 Christmas Parties plus a New Year's Eve Party that I know of, including Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve.  It seems as if every week, I will have something going on.  Its because of all the parties that I am not just going to sit here and do nothing.  I'm going to do what I can with the light cooking as well as walking about 15 minutes of my 30-minute lunch each day at work and parking at the back of the Walmart parking lot (or whichever store I may grace).  I will also be eliminating the regular sodas and switching exclusively to Diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, and a lot more water.  I'm going to be doing little things over the next month to negate the Christmas parties.  Starting January 1, I will be looking for a yoga class around Salt Lake City.  I'm really interested in trying yoga, and I've heard while its not a major weight-loss exercise program, per se, it creates a mindset that is more conducive to losing weight.  In fact, while we are speaking, I am looking up yoga classes that I could join for relatively cheap at the first of January.  At the very least, I will be trying to find a low cost gym membership so I can use their treadmills.

I'm not going to be sitting here doing nothing in December.  I am going to get busy, I just will be stepping it up even more on January 2.

We do remember that you're lighter by 20 pounds than a year ago, but you're still severely overweight.

And 3 Christmas parties and a NYE party is your excuse for not eating healthy?  Jeff, I took 15 credits, including a grad level class, managed a student organization with weekly meetings and weekly executive board meetings, wrote a research paper, studied for, and took the LSAT, worked on a current events forum committee, wrote columns for the newspaper all during the same semester, drove home every weekend to work, and I still had time to make my own food (although generally not while I was home, since my mother tended to cook then).  Now, this isn't to say that I didn't go out, but I cooked a large portion of my meals while at school.  And it wasn't time consuming.  I could make big batches of spaghetti (homemade sauce and homemade meatballs) that would last me the week.  60-90 minutes one day and you're good for a while.  Or homemade pizza - I made a wicked artichoke and asparagus pizza.  The only time I would eat pre-packaged meals was Mondays when I only had a 50 minute break for dinner, and I would come home, microwave a pot pie, and run back to class; and this was only if I didn't have food leftover (although since I worked on weekends, I typically tried to finish off my food before I headed home Thursday nights).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »

Well then my apologies for misreading what you said.

Here's a guide on how many calories you need to maintain weight (meaning to lose, you need to eat less than the magic number).  I'm guessing you fall somewhere between the first and second one:

You exercise: Almost never
Multiply your current weight by: 12

You exercise: Lightly, one to three days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 13.5

You exercise: Moderately, three to five days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 15.5

You exercise: Vigorously, six to seven days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 17

You exercise: Vigorously, daily, and you have a physical job
Multiply your current weight by: 19
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »

Well, remember, that number is what you need to maintain weight.  So even if you begin exercising, you don't need to increase your caloric intake.  For example, if you're at 265, and you drop your calories to 2000 per day, you'll be down to 200 after about 4 months.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 05:09:34 AM »

So give yourself some incentives.  If you don't reach 200 pounds by [DATE], you have to / can't do [X].
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

One thing I would personally suggest. Don't weigh yourself daily. There's a good deal of fluctuation in a matter of hours depending on when your last meal was....how much water you've had to drink....etc.

I always disagreed with that advice - I found that weighing myself daily and charting it helped, because you can see a pattern through the fluctuations.  Only weighing yourself weekly can lead to you not seeing the whole picture, which can lead to you failing to lose weight.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »

Here's a guide on how many calories you need to maintain weight (meaning to lose, you need to eat less than the magic number).  I'm guessing you fall somewhere between the first and second one:

You exercise: Almost never
Multiply your current weight by: 12

You exercise: Lightly, one to three days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 13.5

You exercise: Moderately, three to five days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 15.5

You exercise: Vigorously, six to seven days a week
Multiply your current weight by: 17

You exercise: Vigorously, daily, and you have a physical job
Multiply your current weight by: 19

Just how loose a guide is this? It's telling me that I need to consume <1500 calories per day to maintain my current weight if I maintain my current exercise regime.

I mean, it's not exact, but when I was wrestling, our coach said multiply by 17, which matches up with this.  Which exercise category did you fall under?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »

Almost never. I have a desk job and a car, I don't have a weight set or a gym membership, and I rarely walk anywhere between late October and mid-April.

Well then if you only weigh 125 pounds, yeah, you only need about 1,500 calories a day.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Bushie should be aiming for 2000 calories or so.

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

Today, I weigh 269.6 which is a loss of 0.6 lbs. Water weight to be sure.

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.

Yeah, becasue 270 is really heavy.  3,200 sounds about right to maintain that high of a weight.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »

Bushie, I'm not as up to date as some so I don't know your weight, but 2,700 calories is an awful lot for anyone. That's that kind of diet you'd be eating if you were lifting weights and trying to bulk up.

Remember, exercise doesn't give you a license to eat whatever you want - it's important, but unless you're Michael Phelps you're not going to be burning enough calories through exercise to offset a poor diet.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I don't know his height, but let's say he's 175 cm just for the sake of argument....then he should be consuming 2611 calories for weight maintenance. (Assuming little to no exercise, which is certainly true in his case.)

Bushie should be aiming for 2000 calories or so.

Using Inks formula, I should shoot for 3,200 calories.  I am 5'8" weighing 270.  Take 270 * 12 and you get 3,240 using the first category.

Today, I weigh 269.6 which is a loss of 0.6 lbs. Water weight to be sure.

What does the calculator on the website I linked to give you? Not saying it's necessarily correct, but you might want to check different sources. The 3,200 really sounds too high to me.

Yeah, becasue 270 is really heavy.  3,200 sounds about right to maintain that high of a weight.

Is 3,200 calories weight maintenance or is it weight loss?  The reason I ask is I fell 500 calories shy of that yesterday and still only lost 3/4 pound.  Right now, I am sitting at only 1,980 for today, and its already 7:30 pm.  I'm thinking about getting something light, maybe Malt-o-Meal hot cereal for a snack, but I still won't get anywhere near 3,200.

Maintenance.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:59 PM »

I am very low on my calorie intake for the day.  I'm sitting at a grand total of 500 calories.  I had no breakfast, and just had a Lunchable for lunch.  I'm about ready to find something for dinner after the 5:00 pm newscast.  I probably should find a few more calories.

Edit:  I'm closer to 400 calories than 500.

If you're going to skip a meal, don't make it breakfast - that's what jump starts your metabolism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »

Establishing healthful habits is more important than closely tracking your daily calorie intake. Don't eat a "lunchable." Have an apple and some yogurt tomorrow instead. Keep doing whatever is easiest and cheapest and you'll be dead before you're 60.

Exactly.  If your calories are all from high sodium crap like lunchables (which I have never had... not even one), you're going to end up with other problems.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:59 AM »

Establishing healthful habits is more important than closely tracking your daily calorie intake. Don't eat a "lunchable." Have an apple and some yogurt tomorrow instead. Keep doing whatever is easiest and cheapest and you'll be dead before you're 60.

Exactly.  If your calories are all from high sodium crap like lunchables (which I have never had... not even one), you're going to end up with other problems.

That's not actually true. Eating breakfast doesn't change your metabolism, but it does have other beneficial effects. You'll have more energy and you're less likely to gorge yourself on on junk food later in the day.

Actually, it is true (assuming you're getting recommended amounts of sleep and don't eat very late at night).  Lack of eating on a regular basis causes the body to produce less enzymes that metabolize fat.  If you eat at 5:00, and don't eat again until 12:00, that's going 19 hours without eating, which is a fairly long time.  Obviously, if you eat dinner at a late time, and lunch earlier, this won't apply.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:58 AM »

Since they took away my Diet Dr Pepper, I have to get a Coke.  I havent developed a taste for Diet Coke.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.beverages.160.dasani-water.html

That is all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »

Have you ever looked into Atkins or Paleo? My freshman 15 has so far been negative thanks to not eating bread, pasta, rice, or sweets.

Atkins can be dangerous if you don't do it right... I don't think Jeff could actually do Atkins right.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

Jeff, did you really lose 6 pounds?  Because the last time the forum convinced you to diet, you magically started losing weight really easily, but then we found out that you lied about the weight loss.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »

Jeff, did you really lose 6 pounds?  Because the last time the forum convinced you to diet, you magically started losing weight really easily, but then we found out that you lied about the weight loss.

Yes, I have lost 6 pounds.  This is no lie.

That's what you told us before...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »

Final total for the day.  I ended in the 2,500-2,600 calorie range.  I had a bowl of Malt-O-Meal for a late evening snack (worth roughly 200 calories).

How are you getting your calories that precise?  Are you really measuring everything out?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »

My career in Kenya is becoming a bit clearer.  I now have an idea of how I will work and support myself without becoming another mouth to feed.  I will work directly with the Maisha International Orphanage and live in their volunteer home that will be built in 2015.  I will be financially supported mainly through stipends from Maisha and grants through various sources.  Like I said, it will be at least 4 years before I leave, probably closer to 4 1/2 - 5 years.  I want to be down there by January 1, 2018.

It became clearer today?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »

He makes it sound like he's going to be snowed in or something...

Courtesy of the NWS:

Overnight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. South wind 7 to 9 mph.
Saturday Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Light northwest wind increasing to 12 to 17 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. North northwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Sunday A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 30. North northeast wind 5 to 8 mph. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 19. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Monday A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Monday Night A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.
Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
Thursday A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 41.
Thursday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Friday A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 39.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:59 AM »

He makes it sound like he's going to be snowed in or something...

Courtesy of the NWS:

Overnight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. South wind 7 to 9 mph.
Saturday Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Light northwest wind increasing to 12 to 17 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. North northwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Sunday A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 30. North northeast wind 5 to 8 mph. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 19. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Monday A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Monday Night A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.
Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
Thursday A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 41.
Thursday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Friday A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 39.

None of the 4 systems will be very heavy and probably only an inch or two will fall with each system.  This first system may have the heaviest snowfall at 3-5" including lake effect.  But, it happened to coincide with a regular trip to Walmart.  I just threw in the 4 snow systems for dramatic effect. Smiley

That's not an inch or two with each system.  That's at most an inch total.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »

That forecast has to be for further north than you... you won't get that much snow from lake effect snow with wind pattern out there.  You're too far south (if you are in Midvale / Sandy).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »

That forecast has to be for further north than you... you won't get that much snow from lake effect snow with wind pattern out there.  You're too far south (if you are in Midvale / Sandy).

We got 22.7" in Sandy with the November storm.  No, we're not too far south.  In fact, the lake effect can extend as far south as Orem and Provo and as far east as Park City.

Yes, CAN, but not with this system... the wind direction is not right for it.  At most, you'll get an inch.  After the system is through, I'd love to hear how much you actually got.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »

This sums up these update threads:

I just threw in [Fill in the blank] for dramatic effect. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to: