Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:37:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 144217 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »

I know its risky, and if I lose my job because of it, so be it.  Its not like I haven't been down this road before.  There was no way I would have missed coming home because my tickets were unrefundable.  The next place I go will be to Kenya and that likely not until June or July.  I may come home around Memorial Day when I only have to take one day off.  If I didnt come now, I likely would have not seen my family over the holidays.  We are having our Thanksgiving Dinner as a family this Tuesday.  I will be okay even if I do lose the job.

How is it risky if it's in your contract?  If they fire you, you could sue for breach of contract and recover damages for the wages of at least the rest of your contract term.  If you have a contractual guarantee for this vacation time, you literally have a 0% risk of not seeing that money, either through continued employment or court judgment.

Its not risky in my situation, but I'm just saying it is, because most of the time it is very risky in normal circumstances to take off for a week just a week into the job.  I could hold quite a few companies accountable for breach of contract, but I choose not to, because I do not sue.  I have better things to do than to sue companies.  Plus, I would rather be wronged and be able to show the love of Christ than to get what's coming to me and miss an opportunity to nurture someone's soul or plant a seed.  My ultimate mission on this earth is not to hold down a job, although that is very vital to my mission, but the mission itself is to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to the masses.  Holding down a job is a very vital aspect to that mission, and I will admit, I have failed in that respect.  I have failed in so many areas, but God still picks me up, dusts me off, and holds my hand as I walk with Him.

I won't even get into your thought on lawsuits, because that will cause my brain to just end itself.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »

Just a thought... did you ever think "maybe God is actually trying to teach me a lesson"?

Oh, I think that everyday.

And what lessons have you learned?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »

How do you plan on supporting yourself?

I will be working for Maisha, and while it is mostly volunteer, they will provide the basics such shelter and food.

That is someone else supporting you, not supporting yourself.

Isn't that the same thing though? He works, he gets compensation.

I see it more as an allowence.

I agree with Bushie this time actually. It's not any different than if a woman becomes a nun and is "cared for" by the convent, for example.

(Not to say I believe the whole Kenya thing will work for him, I don't.)

I gotta say I agree with him as well.  If he's volunteering to get the housing and food, he's providing for himself.  If he goes to a shelter to get housing and food, then they'd be providing for him.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »

You're at a call center for Xerox doing what exactly?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

Tech Support with what?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »

You're just a general IT guy for the Forest Service?  Or you help them with Xerox products.  What do you do on an average day?  I highly doubt that whatever it is, it's really important enough to warrant keeping the branch open on Christmas.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »

You're just a general IT guy for the Forest Service?  Or you help them with Xerox products.  What do you do on an average day?  I highly doubt that whatever it is, it's really important enough to warrant keeping the branch open on Christmas.

After training, I will be taking calls answering technical-related questions.  The questions will be such as, my computer won't start or I have no internet connection or I need to install a printer, etc.  Its the same thing I was doing at Dell.  The Forest Service is still using outdated equipment, so I will be troubleshooting Windows XP.  I should be on the phones by next Monday, November 26.

They keep the centers open on holidays just in case someone calls with a question.  Normally, the calls are  pretty few and far between and they usually let people go early and from what I've heard, the holiday staffing is on a volunteer basis, unless not enough people are signed up.  Xerox has a contract with the US Forest Service and if they don't keep the center open at all times, they can get fined or possibly lose the contract.  Xerox would prefer to close the center on major holidays, as they have families they want to spend time with as well, but business is business.

Why are you doing IT help on products that Xerox doesn't manufacture?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »

Xerox provides operations services too, you know, as another business. Haven't you seen those commercials with some motorcyclist in a wind tunnel being asked to translate papers or the Michelin Man throwing tyres at the road-monster and being asked to review documents. It's what's Patrick is saying, yeah.

Rather sad, actually. Going from making things to... employing Bushie.

Gotcha.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »

I am really looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow.  This should be a short week because of Thanksgiving, but in a way, I hope I am able to work on Thursday and Friday.  I could definitely use the money and since I have already had Thanksgiving Dinner with my family, I would have no qualms with working on Thursday.  I did get my first paycheck direct deposited last Friday for the 3 1/2 days I worked before I left for Oklahoma.  I was surprised the direct deposit took hold that fast.  Usually, I have to wait a pay period or two before direct deposit takes hold.  What's more is the paycheck was more than I was expecting, $50 higher.

You should volunteer to work Thursday.  It'll keep you from having dinner at Golden Corral, which is probably one of the worst things you could do for Thanksgiving.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 11:39:56 PM »

I am really looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow.  This should be a short week because of Thanksgiving, but in a way, I hope I am able to work on Thursday and Friday.  I could definitely use the money and since I have already had Thanksgiving Dinner with my family, I would have no qualms with working on Thursday.  I did get my first paycheck direct deposited last Friday for the 3 1/2 days I worked before I left for Oklahoma.  I was surprised the direct deposit took hold that fast.  Usually, I have to wait a pay period or two before direct deposit takes hold.  What's more is the paycheck was more than I was expecting, $50 higher.

You should volunteer to work Thursday.  It'll keep you from having dinner at Golden Corral, which is probably one of the worst things you could do for Thanksgiving.

I don't know if I will still be in training by then.  If I am, there is a good chance I won't be able to work.  If I'm in full production mode, I would definitely volunteer both Thursday and Friday.  Eating at Golden Corral would be better than ordering a pizza or getting a hamburger.  At least I could get vegetables at GC.  No sane person counts the lettuce on a hamburger as a vegetable serving, not even me.

Whole Foods near Salt Lake city

Or, just in general:

Grocery stores near Salt Lake City
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »

I don't know if I will still be in training by then.  If I am, there is a good chance I won't be able to work.  If I'm in full production mode, I would definitely volunteer both Thursday and Friday.  Eating at Golden Corral would be better than ordering a pizza or getting a hamburger.  At least I could get vegetables at GC.  No sane person counts the lettuce on a hamburger as a vegetable serving, not even me.

Or, just in general:

I'm wanting turkey on Thanksgiving, and I don't know how to nor want to prepare a turkey just for myself, so I'll go to Golden Corral.  Thanksgiving Day is not a day to eat ordinary, everyday food.

What part(s) of the turkey do you eat?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

I am really looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow.  This should be a short week because of Thanksgiving, but in a way, I hope I am able to work on Thursday and Friday.  I could definitely use the money and since I have already had Thanksgiving Dinner with my family, I would have no qualms with working on Thursday.  I did get my first paycheck direct deposited last Friday for the 3 1/2 days I worked before I left for Oklahoma.  I was surprised the direct deposit took hold that fast.  Usually, I have to wait a pay period or two before direct deposit takes hold.  What's more is the paycheck was more than I was expecting, $50 higher.

You should volunteer to work Thursday.  It'll keep you from having dinner at Golden Corral, which is probably one of the worst things you could do for Thanksgiving.

I don't know if I will still be in training by then.  If I am, there is a good chance I won't be able to work.  If I'm in full production mode, I would definitely volunteer both Thursday and Friday.  Eating at Golden Corral would be better than ordering a pizza or getting a hamburger.  At least I could get vegetables at GC.  No sane person counts the lettuce on a hamburger as a vegetable serving, not even me.

Or, just in general:

I'm wanting turkey on Thanksgiving, and I don't know how to nor want to prepare a turkey just for myself, so I'll go to Golden Corral.  Thanksgiving Day is not a day to eat ordinary, everyday food.

What part(s) of the turkey do you eat?

Generally the white meat. (I don't know the body part).

The breast.  So you don't even need a whole turkey.  Any grocery store will sell turkey breasts.  A little bit of butter and some seasoning, and you'll be all set.  Here's a nice, easy recipe for you... and when you don't eat it all, you can cut some up for sandwiches, and turn the rest into soup... you'll have soup for a while, so on those nights that you're feeling lazy, you can microwave up some dinner, and it won't be terribly unhealthy.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/chickenturkeymore/r/turkeybreast.htm
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »

Jeff, to show I'm sincere in trying to help you, I'll make you a deal.  Anything that you buy and cook yourself (so if you make mashed potatoes, you have to buy actual potatoes, not that instant stuff), I will personally pay for.  I'll even throw in canned cranberry sauce, since that can't be easy to make (although I'd advocate for the alternative: cranberry relish, which is phenomenal).  I'm serious - anything that you buy for Thanksgiving and cook yourself, I'll send you a check to pay for.  If you want lobster, go out and get lobster.  I'll pay for it.  But you have to cook it yourself.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

I'm cooking a dinner today/tonight for tomorrow. It's really simple. But for once, I'm gonna side with Bushie. If I wasnt going to just sit around and get my drunk on, I wouldn't care about a diet for Thanksgiving.

Now, I wouldn't go to the GC. Mainly because I'm creepers'd out by buffets. I don't want random people coming up and touching and picking at all the food. Now, I know that people at a restaurant will be touching my food, but at least I can't see it.

But this isn't just for Thanksgiving.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »

And will you be taking me up on my Thanksgiving dinner offer?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »

It shouldn't matter how long you've been there.  At least a pastor would invite you if you told him you had just moved and were alone.

Its alright.  I didn't bring up the subject.  True, somebody in the church should have invited me, but I don't hold any grudges.  In Salt Lake City, finding a Southern Baptist church is a really long and tedious process mostly since the state is 70% Mormon.  Salt Lake County, I believe is 60-65% LDS.  Its not like I can just hop on over to another church that matches my beliefs the closest.  If this were Oklahoma, then I could very easily, but Utah is a lot different than Oklahoma.  I've only found one Southern Baptist church in the entire Salt Lake City Metro.  There are probably more, but the places I've been I have not seen them.  The closest denomination to my beliefs other than Southern Baptist are Nazarene, but I haven't seen any Nazarene churches anywhere in Ogden or Salt Lake.  So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.  Staying home on Sunday morning is not an option in my book unless I am sick, out of town, or have company who don't go to church.

If doing this is a "long and tedious process" for you, it's no wonder you never cook.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »

And in case you're in a spicy mood: here you go.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »

So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.

Like I said, there are a few more churches than just one, but not many.  My options are pretty limited.

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

Like I said, there are a few more churches than just one, but not many.  My options are pretty limited.

I did go to Walmart last night and got $50 worth of groceries.  I'll still be going to Golden Corral tomorrow night, but I'll be able to eat at home this weekend and most of next week.  I got enough to fix for dinner each night for a week and enough for lunches all next week.  Thankfully, the Hostess items have been removed from the shelves, otherwise I would have been very tempted to get the small powdered donuts for breakfast this weekend.  I will admit that I didn't get the healthiest food at Walmart, but I can at least save money.

Donuts? for breakfast?

When else would one eat donuts?

Afternoon snack? My mind boggles... why would you put something so sugar and calorie heavy first thing in the morning. Cereal? Fruit? Eggs?

I'm going to defend Bushie on this one.  Donuts in the morning isn't that unheard of.  It's more typical if you're at a meeting or something similar where they serve coffee and donuts than it would be in the home, but it's not that extreme.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »

So, its either stick with this church and forgive this "trespass" or I stay home and do nothing.

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?

I do have options, but again, I'm not going to drop this church just because they didn't invite me over for a meal.

I didn't buy anything that requires a recipe, but mostly things to heat up in the oven such as frozen pizza or frozen burritos.  I know that's not healthy, but I've already got down on my next Walmart list to get stuff for spaghetti.

I'm not saying you shoulde leave the church, just that finding another one isn't as hard as you're saying.

And spaghetti really isn't making you own meal unless you're making your own sauce (and/or meatballs).  Boiling pasta and adding sauce is not hard.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »

So, no, you didn't say that there were a few more churches.  You said there probably were but that you hadn't found them.  You DO have options.

And what kinds of things did you buy from Walmart for your meals?  Will you be actually cooking recipes?

I do have options, but again, I'm not going to drop this church just because they didn't invite me over for a meal.

I didn't buy anything that requires a recipe, but mostly things to heat up in the oven such as frozen pizza or frozen burritos.  I know that's not healthy, but I've already got down on my next Walmart list to get stuff for spaghetti.

You know how cheap turkey is?  Not exactly that labor intensive either. Enough of the learned helplessness bull$hit.   Happy Thanksgiving.

Turkey would've been free.  As would anything else he made himself.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »

I'm not saying you shoulde leave the church, just that finding another one isn't as hard as you're saying.

And spaghetti really isn't making you own meal unless you're making your own sauce (and/or meatballs).  Boiling pasta and adding sauce is not hard.

Spaghetti is not hard, especially since I use Ragu sauce mixed in with ground beef.  I don't like big meatballs in my spaghetti sauce, so I just brown hamburger meat and pour the Ragu onto the meat and let it simmer while I boil the noodles.   It is better, though, than the stuff I bought last night and MUCH better than going out to eat.  It is a step in the right direction.

Yes, it's better than packaged burritos, but I just wante to make sure you realize that it's not really cooking.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »

Not a bad recipe, Snowguy.  I will definitely be trying a few recipes in December and especially after the first of the year.

Why after the 1st of the year, out of interest? Does it take that amount of time to get used to the foreign concept?

I'm going to start in December, but I guess you didn't read that.  I'm going to wait until January to get started full force so I can get the holidays behind me.

What about "the holidays" is it that makes it so that you have to hve prepackaged burritos instead of making your own food?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »

Its been a pretty good Thanksgiving 2012.  I do have to go work tomorrow, but it will be a very easy day as the entire Forest Service is off until Monday.  Since it will be an easy day and it is a Friday, I will stay up and watch a Christmas Movie after the 10:00 news tonight.  Normally, I would go to bed around 11:00, but tonight, I will allow myself to stay up until 1:00 am and still get 6 hours of sleep waking up at 7:00.  I'll make sure to get my shower and read my Bible readings for Friday morning before I start the movie that way in the morning, all I have to do is shave, brush my teeth, take my medicine and leave for work by 7:35.

So if the only thing that you do is support the Forest Service, what are you going to do all day?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 01:41:45 AM »

What happened 71 years ago?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length