Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:33:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 79
Author Topic: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)  (Read 141911 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: January 14, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »

Lolz. I got 45 hours this week and this was actually my least worked week since Christmas.
We get it, BRTD...  you are a midget among dwarfs.
He's an overworked one at that. Not that he's alone in this category, but I strongly dislike America's new expectation of Dickensian working hours. Some of us would like to have some time to enjoy the money that we earn at work. My job recently disallowed overtime. I was mad at first, but having time to do things for myself has been rewarding as well.

I agree. Most days I'm in my office by 7:30, and try to bail out by 5. With having a work phone, I'm always on call...but still I'm glad I don't work later than I have to. I spent 2 years working two jobs, working almost 12-14 hours a day.. I'm done with that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1501 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »

However, I've got something else that I just threw in the cooker.  I'm not going to spill any beans just yet, but I've got a possibility lurking.  The only thing I will say about it for now is that it will require extensive traveling over the Western United States.  Stay tuned.

The theme for this new season
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1502 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »

I saw this on facebook. Reminded me of the update.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1503 on: January 14, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

Lolz. I got 45 hours this week and this was actually my least worked week since Christmas.
He's an overworked one at that. Not that he's alone in this category, but I strongly dislike America's new expectation of Dickensian working hours. Some of us would like to have some time to enjoy the money that we earn at work. My job recently disallowed overtime. I was mad at first, but having time to do things for myself has been rewarding as well.

I agree. Most days I'm in my office by 7:30, and try to bail out by 5. With having a work phone, I'm always on call...but still I'm glad I don't work later than I have to. I spent 2 years working two jobs, working almost 12-14 hours a day.. I'm done with that.

F*%! that... I'm a strict 9-5 person... there are certainly no expectations of running yourself ragged.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1504 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »

F*%! that... I'm a strict 9-5 person... there are certainly no expectations of running yourself ragged.

I wish I could do that, but in reality I've got too much work to get done in a 9-5 setting. But it's my own choice to do that, to make sure I get everything set and nothing gets lost.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1505 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »

Uh oh, there's troube in paradise......share, Jeff
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1506 on: January 14, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »

Soo...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1507 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »

?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1508 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »

This season has taken a predictable twist.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1509 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

An once again, forum advise gets ignored, and trouble arrives in paradise.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1510 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »

Alright, here's the deal.  There is trouble in paradise, but its not an immediate threat.  I got news today that they are going to cut about half the staff.  They just hired way too many agents.  However, they are not going to do it immediately.  Out of fairness to their employees, they are going to give them time to find new work.  The cuts will not happen until March 1, which gives us 6 weeks to find another place to work.  So, after I got off work today, I have been on the prowl and went to two places.  The first one is a no-go right off the bat.  The second one sounds plausible and very interesting.  I've got a second interview with them next Tuesday at 3:00 pm.  This one would pay crappy in training (first 4 weeks) like $10/hour, but after training, I will get $14.00 an hour with a bunch of room up the ladder.  The good news is they said they would guarantee me at least 1 to 2 years before anything negative happens.  I'll explain more about this position in another post.  In fact, I JUST got home from my adventures, which started right after work.  I've got time to find myself a new line of work without having to rush.  The possibility does exist that the cut may get delayed or get cut itself, meaning the cut likely will happen, but the chance exists it may not happen.

So, things are not as dire as what they could be as I still have a job for at least 6 1/2 weeks and have that time to look and the fact there is already another one on the docket already.  This is not including the possible travel job that I mentioned yesterday or the day before.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1511 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »

Jeff, this isn't an easy question (it sounds simple on surface) but what do you want to do with your life? As a thought exercise if you won the lottery; what would you do? 

Trust me I spent many years at jobs I didn't like and even actively loathed. It is a terrible way to live, It is really only now that I have just made some choices to set myself up into what I want to do. This jumping from job to job isn't healthy for you- mentally or physically.  It is not f#cking funny either.  Your life shouldnt be a series of adventures in futility and zany antics for us. I appreciate you driving forward through these troubles but the fact is that you create these problems for yourself.  Freaking aim before you fire man. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1512 on: January 14, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »

Stop going to call centers. You don't mix well with them. Learn the lesson and find something different. You're better than this, man. You know this.. we all do.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1513 on: January 14, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »

How many call centers has this been anyway?

At least he'll be able to get unemployment this time...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1514 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

I talked this new possible position over with my parents and they say if I am offered the position, go for it.

Other developments are as follows.  My apartment lease runs out on March 31 and I have to give them 45 days notice of my decision.  If I have not found a job by February 8, then I am going to start making arrangements to go back to Oklahoma in March.  I really don't want to do that, and I don't think it will come to that, but that is a possibility.  If I did go back to Oklahoma, I would try to find a vo-tech and get retrained in another field so I can get out of the call center trap.  Dad wants me to find anything up here that is not a call center that pays more than what I am getting now.  Dad believes my skills I learned in college are not doing a single thing for me, which I agree.  My degree has pretty much been reduced to a piece of paper.  We're still hashing out what to do.  I want to stay in Utah, I need to stay in Utah, but with my house in Oklahoma on the market, we're still paying the mortgage and the utilities, plus my rent and other bills in Utah.  The rent, mortgage, and utilities alone add up to around $1500 a month not including other bills.  Getting $12 an hour doesn't cut it and especially when I'm not getting 40 hour weeks.  I'm ashamed to say it, but my parents have been helping me out since I don't make enough right now to support myself 100%.  So I have to listen to their advice until such time as I do make enough to support myself 100%.

So, with that said, what this job is that I went to this evening is it is not a call center, but not a traditional one, rather it is base + commission sales.  You see those infomercials on late night television for products like Rosetta Stone, the non stick skillet that's been advertised, or the sham-wow products.  I will be taking phone calls for those products.  He rattled off 8 different products that we support and more coming in all the time.  The training salary is $10/hr for the first 4-5 weeks.  After that, the salary goes up to $14.00/hr with the potential to go higher.  Full benefits start after 90 days of employment and 401(k) starts after 6 months.  The training hours will be Wednesday-Sunday 8:30-17:00 and after that the hours will be primarily graveyard anywhere between 2000 and 0600 both weekend days and 3 days during the week.  I'll get 40 hours each week.  I'll make sure I get the pay in writing as well as this other statement that he made which is "most call centers give you a month or two and kick you to the curb.  We don't do that.  We will give you AT LEAST a 1 year commitment if you give the same commitment back to us."  I have a second interview with them next Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 15:00.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1515 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »

And Charlie Brown runs up to Lucy holding the football yet again.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1516 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »

Bushie, please stop beating yourself up like this. You plan out Christmas decorations months in advance and just jump on the first snake oil salesman job that comes around.  I know there must be fear of not meeting bills here, but you really have to stop and make some rational decisions. What you are doing to yourself is sadistic and sick. You must stop this vicious circle.  Me wishing you best of luck and pray is bull$hit- I wish that you stop this.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1517 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »

Sales?!?!? you have to have figured out you're not cut out for that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1518 on: January 14, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »

I talked this new possible position over with my parents and they say if I am offered the position, go for it.

Other developments are as follows.  My apartment lease runs out on March 31 and I have to give them 45 days notice of my decision.  If I have not found a job by February 8, then I am going to start making arrangements to go back to Oklahoma in March.  I really don't want to do that, and I don't think it will come to that, but that is a possibility.  If I did go back to Oklahoma, I would try to find a vo-tech and get retrained in another field so I can get out of the call center trap.  Dad wants me to find anything up here that is not a call center that pays more than what I am getting now.  Dad believes my skills I learned in college are not doing a single thing for me, which I agree.  My degree has pretty much been reduced to a piece of paper.  We're still hashing out what to do.  I want to stay in Utah, I need to stay in Utah, but with my house in Oklahoma on the market, we're still paying the mortgage and the utilities, plus my rent and other bills in Utah.  The rent, mortgage, and utilities alone add up to around $1500 a month not including other bills.  Getting $12 an hour doesn't cut it and especially when I'm not getting 40 hour weeks.  I'm ashamed to say it, but my parents have been helping me out since I don't make enough right now to support myself 100%.  So I have to listen to their advice until such time as I do make enough to support myself 100%.

So, with that said, what this job is that I went to this evening is it is not a call center, but not a traditional one, rather it is base + commission sales.  You see those infomercials on late night television for products like Rosetta Stone, the non stick skillet that's been advertised, or the sham-wow products.  I will be taking phone calls for those products.  He rattled off 8 different products that we support and more coming in all the time.  The training salary is $10/hr for the first 4-5 weeks.  After that, the salary goes up to $14.00/hr with the potential to go higher.  Full benefits start after 90 days of employment and 401(k) starts after 6 months.  The training hours will be Wednesday-Sunday 8:30-17:00 and after that the hours will be primarily graveyard anywhere between 2000 and 0600 both weekend days and 3 days during the week.  I'll get 40 hours each week.  I'll make sure I get the pay in writing as well as this other statement that he made which is "most call centers give you a month or two and kick you to the curb.  We don't do that.  We will give you AT LEAST a 1 year commitment if you give the same commitment back to us."  I have a second interview with them next Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 15:00.

1. If your parents are supporting you, you should be ashamed that you took a VTO... you took advantage of your parents by doing so.  Even if it was just once.
2. Didn't we all tell you it would be a waste of time and money to change your residence to Oklahoma?  You're again taking advantage of your parents by making them subsidize your stupid decision like getting a driver's license in Utah.  Now you'll have to switch that back.  Sure, it may not seem like much at the time, but all these little expenses add up.
3. Why are you giving up on your current job already?
4. Do you really believe this guy when he says you'll have 1 year with them if you commit?  I'll bet you $100 that if you get that job, you don't hold it for a whole year.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1519 on: January 14, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »

Commission only sales I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole as I'd starve to death!.  If it has a guaranteed base (a safety net), I'm fine.

Right now, I'm just trying to find anything to avoid having to suffer the humiliation of a 31-year old man moving in with his parents.  Its embarrassing enough to have my parents help me out, let alone possibly having to move back in with them.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1520 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »

Bushie's next job:

"I'm settling down great in California! I've found a job as a salesman in a nice town called Compton. On my first day of work, I got to rest in a shady alley, and people came up to me to buy little bags of flour. I don't know why they couldn't get it cheap at the grocery store, but it makes a lot of money, and the boss told me I get a cut of all profits! Hopefully I'll be able to celebrate next week with a meal with some new friends at Golden Corral."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1521 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:53 PM »

Commission only sales I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole as I'd starve to death!.  If it has a guaranteed base (a safety net), I'm fine.

Right now, I'm just trying to find anything to avoid having to suffer the humiliation of a 31-year old man moving in with his parents.  Its embarrassing enough to have my parents help me out, let alone possibly having to move back in with them.

OK - go get a job at McDonald's and work night while you work your other job.  Problem solved.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1522 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »

At least something is happening in this tragedy now. Only 2 days after Bushie turns down another job to "wait and see what they will do," he gets canned. Of course, this is one of the reoccurring themes in this series. I applaud the writers for at least changing the topic off weather and Sizzler's steakhouse.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1523 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »

At least something is happening in this tragedy now. Only 2 days after Bushie turns down another job to "wait and see what they will do," he gets canned. Of course, this is one of the reoccurring themes in this series. I applaud the writers for at least changing the topic off weather and Sizzler's steakhouse.

Wait, he got fired?  Where?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1524 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:44 PM »

The thing is I'm not gone, yet.  I still have 6 1/2 weeks before I become a free agent.

Inks, to be honest, I don't believe this guy that there is a year guarantee.  I even have a tough time believing the $14.  That's why I want to get both in writing.  That's also why I am not going to put all my eggs in that basket.  I've got something else I'm going to check out tomorrow after work.

I have two places to go tomorrow, one being the Indian doctor in Utah so I can at least get my Indian health services transferred up here.

I do feel bad for taking off so much VTO, but there's nothing I can do about that now.

Going back to Oklahoma into my parents house is the absolute worst case scenario and last resort.  Moving to Oklahoma is my second-to-the-worst case scenario because I have the ability to pull my house off the market.  The cheapest scenario and the best case scenario and my desire is staying in Utah in this apartment and extending this lease.  I am very confident I'll have a job before February 8 when I need to make arrangements on where I go from here.  I will find something.  I am willing to give sales a shot if there is a manageable base salary attached.  Also, the possibility does exist, albeit very small, that the cut will be canceled.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies