What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 03:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41976 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2013, 01:28:04 AM »

The Call

Dreadful. This is definitely not a very good time of year for movies.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

The Baader Meinhof Complex

Highly recommended.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »

Le Petit Soldat

For some reason it reminded me of a cross between Alfred Hitchcock and Ender's Game.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

Finally got around to watching Clerks. It was as funny as I imagined it would be.

I loved it.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

It's really hard to get past Clerks horrendous acting, for me at least.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

Olympus Has Fallen

It's an entertaining time if you can accept the obvious absurdity and implausibility of the plot. The guy playing the main villain did a great job, and that kind of elevated the movie a bit.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »

The Baader Meinhof Complex

Highly recommended.

Really? It was kind of bad.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »

I'm at a screening of Jurassic Park in 3D, living a childhood dream. Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976 cut)

Excellent movie.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »

Spring Breakers

There's nothing in the AV Club's negative review that I necessarily disagree with (the description of the movie as "vacuous, repetitive, [and] hyperbolically stupid" is especially apt), but I came in knowing what to expect, and it ended up being an immensely satisfying experience. I expect this will be the most unique movie I see all year; certainly it's the least conventional movie I've ever seen in theaters. I'm not entirely sure how something like this received such a wide release.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

How?  It doesn't come out until April 5
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2013, 11:45:58 PM »

Spring Breakers

There's nothing in the AV Club's negative review that I necessarily disagree with (the description of the movie as "vacuous, repetitive, [and] hyperbolically stupid" is especially apt), but I came in knowing what to expect, and it ended up being an immensely satisfying experience. I expect this will be the most unique movie I see all year; certainly it's the least conventional movie I've ever seen in theaters. I'm not entirely sure how something like this received such a wide release.

I really want to see it within the next week, and prolly cause James Franco is in it, though his roll as a Riff Raff-ish rapper is also fairly unconventional.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »

How?  It doesn't come out until April 5

My ex-roommate is a writer and gets passes for early screenings all the time.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2013, 01:46:29 AM »

Spring Breakers

I really want to see it within the next week, and prolly cause James Franco is in it, though his roll as a Riff Raff-ish rapper is also fairly unconventional.

James Franco doesn't show up until about halfway through the movie, but his performance is strange and magnificently compelling. He might be the best part of an excellent movie.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »

James Franco is why I have no desire to see it. Well that and the fact that Selena Gomez keeps her clothes on.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »

Spring Breakers

James Franco doesn't show up until about halfway through the movie, but his performance is strange and magnificently compelling. He might be the best part of an excellent movie.

He's the only character they bothered to develop in an interesting way, which is kind of disappointing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 09:03:11 PM by Χahar »

That's certainly true. Selena Gomez's character does have some backstory, but the other characters are basically interchangable, to the point where I could at no point during the movie tell Ashley Benson and Vanessa Hudgens apart (it doesn't help that they looked very similar). The characters as individuals are largely beside the point, though; it wouldn't necessarily be a worse movie if it took time to develop them at the expense of the visuals, but it would certainly be a different one, and I think it would be a less compelling one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »

Shenandoah - meh.  Stewart is quite good, but I found the story irritating and unlikely.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »

I watched Spring Breakers the other night while pretty inebriated. Then I came home, sobered up, and watched Shame.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

The Virgin Suicides
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »

Speak (2004). K-Stew was surprisingly good, although the character in the movie fits her usual profile.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »

I just got around to seeing Argo, and though slightly unrealistic, I really enjoyed it. Was captivated throughout.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »

I finally saw Lincoln. It had some pacing issues, I found the subplots with Lincoln's family just a distraction, and really I think this would've been a better movie if it focused on Thaddeus Stevens with Lincoln just being a supporting character. That said though Daniel Day Lewis gave the performance I expected and that won him another Oscar, and it was very impressive how it managed to keep tension during the vote on the amendment even though the result was already foregone. When this is constantly shown in high school American History classes five years from now and then on I'll say there are worse things they can do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »

The Place Beyond The Pines.

This has some misleading marketing (though more understandable than most films with it). I can't explain how without some major spoilers, so I'll just say this: Ryan Gosling is not the star. It's more of an ensemble piece.

That said, absolutely and utter fantastic. By far the best film I've seen all year. See it as soon as it hits your city (might be awhile, still in limited release) and don't try to cram it in after a long day at work, not only is it quite long but it sticks with you after the credits roll.

Eraserhead: You'll love it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »

The Place Beyond The Pines.

This has some misleading marketing (though more understandable than most films with it). I can't explain how without some major spoilers, so I'll just say this: Ryan Gosling is not the star. It's more of an ensemble piece.

That said, absolutely and utter fantastic. By far the best film I've seen all year. See it as soon as it hits your city (might be awhile, still in limited release) and don't try to cram it in after a long day at work, not only is it quite long but it sticks with you after the credits roll.

Eraserhead: You'll love it.

Nice, very excited for this! Did you see the full trailer for Only God Forgives?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies