Can Mitt Romney recover?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:05:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Mitt Romney recover?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can Mitt Romney recover?  (Read 1638 times)
Mister Twister

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »

Every poll says the same thing - Obama wins

This is a huge blow to Mitt Romney

Can he recover or is it too late?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »

Well, his problem is the huge bump he got when all those racist white swing voters switched to him in the last week or two just didn't really get him strongly ahead - just more or less tied - and with a weak spot in Ohio.  So.. he doesn't really have to 'recover' so much is it appears that his upper margin was kind of a tossup election.  I think this one will be exciting to watch down to the wire, and I don't think Romney will be clearly ahead at any point from now on.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »

This isn't a huge blow, of course he can recover. We don't know how the media is gonna cover it, either as a draw or Obama win, so it's a bit too early to tell still.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »

I don't think so.

The first debate really only made Romney palatable. He sort of needed that one-two punch, and he didn't get it. That second punch would have made the intitial Romney bump permanent. But now it will fade.
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:02 AM »

All i have to say is what goes around comes around. i remember last week the republicans were teasing the democrats and indies now they want our advice because the keys have been taken away, now you asking how can you get the keys back so you can crash again
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »

Romney made a good first impression anad that was his good debate performance. But it is about specifics and once it came down to that he couldnt explain which tax loopholes he was gonna eliminate for his tax cuts. So peopl sided w prez on taxes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

I don't think so.

The first debate really only made Romney palatable. He sort of needed that one-two punch, and he didn't get it. That second punch would have made the intitial Romney bump permanent. But now it will fade.

Excellent and  honest evaluation from a rightist.  However I don't think the Romney first-debate bump will entirely fade, only very partially. Still, it should be just enough.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »

Oh please, Romney didn't screw up enough to lose anything in the polls, momentum in the race will just drop to zero and we'll stay at the Obama +1 polls that we've known were endgame of this election for months.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »

I don't think so.

Excellent and  honest evaluation from a rightist.  However I don't think the Romney first-debate bump will entirely fade, only very partially. Still, it should be just enough.

I agree. I think we will be where we were before Romney picked Ryan.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:06 AM »

This isn't a huge blow, of course he can recover. We don't know how the media is gonna cover it, either as a draw or Obama win, so it's a bit too early to tell still.

This, and the question is, will Romney have to recover?

The question is, what will the poll numbers do?  I watched the squiggly lines, and I think there is a problem for Obama with women.

It was the same with the Biden/Ryan debate.  Biden "won," but Romney's numbers went up.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:39 AM »

He doesn't need to recover because he didn't perform bad.  Obama is just 'catching up'.
Stirring Wolf🥣🐺
Xiivi
Rookie
France

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney made gains from this.  When it came down to all of the specific questions on CNN and such, they all tended to favour Romney [who would run the economy better, etc...].  The women in binders gaffe might get to him if social media spins it hard enough, but other than that it's fine.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »

Give me a break.  This debate was basically a slight Obama win. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:54 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney made gains from this.  When it came down to all of the specific questions on CNN and such, they all tended to favour Romney [who would run the economy better, etc...].  The women in binders gaffe might get to him if social media spins it hard enough, but other than that it's fine.

I wouldn't get too excited about the CNN poll...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Those numbers were quite heavily slanted towards Republicans...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 02:45:09 AM »

It was a very R-friendly sample. I was actually surprised that Obama got a clear (although not gigantic) debate win in their poll.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »

I don't think so.

There is still some time for Romney to learn how to play the right notes for the swing voter.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »

I think that if he does very well in the next debate and comes off as knowledgeable on foreign policy, then he can. I don't think he's going to suffer too much from this debate, seeing as how he didn't do bad. But its probably an uphill battle for him because the next debate is Obama's strong area.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:31:35 AM »

Romney is very lucky that foreign policy isn't largely driving this campaign. If it was, that Libya moment would have been a complete knockout.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 06:38:05 AM »

Puh-leeze. Obama barely won both the CNN and CBS polls, and Romney won big on the economy. He will need to have a much better Libya answer for next week though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

I don't think so.

There is still some time for Romney to learn how to play the right notes for the swing voter.

I agree.. but considering the Bump, which really was a massive reversal, got him up only to (apparently) gaining NC/FL/VA/CO, while still losing OH/WI/IA/NV, it seems like there may not be enough undecided white (r****t) swing voters to quite put him over the top. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 06:45:59 AM »

I was confident that whoever was considered to have 'won' this debate would ultimately win the election. Debate one for Romney was about breaking through the defenses... I don't care if people think this sounds hacky to some, but he needed a decent win to seal the deal.

Do I think he can get his footing back? Normally, no. But this election is breaking so many recent conventions about elections, who the hell knows lol...
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »

Maybe I watched the wrong debate. I thought Romney did really well, and the debate was a tie at best, with a slight edge to Romney.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 06:58:11 AM »

The polls will remain more than competitive until election day but the notion that Romney edged out Obama in any way is objectively preposterous. If literally nothing else, debates are style shows about winning over the audience; there was literally no high point for Romney in the entire debate. He didn't create effective or positive soundbites, he didn't get Obama into a corner; quite the opposite, he didn't come off as calm or collected or particularly presidential.

I say this as someone who thought Obama came off as a tired and spent man who got clobbered in the first debate, and saw Biden's performance only as an important morale booster and momentum freezer. But get real guys. Romney performs exceptionally poorly in an environment that is constrained to actual issue questions (as opposed to 15 minute he-said-she-saids) wherein he can't railroad the moderator. This was one of the more kinetic debates in recent American presidential debate history, and Obama won this one.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »

Maybe I watched the wrong debate. I thought Romney did really well, and the debate was a tie at best, with a slight edge to Romney.

Yeah... you probably did Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »

He doesn't need to recover because he didn't perform bad.  Obama is just 'catching up'.

Any Obama recovery  turns this Presidential election away some from being 'iffy'.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies