Polling station question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Polling station question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polling station question  (Read 868 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »

How far apart are polling stations from each other in the US? How far do you generally need to go?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »

How far apart are polling stations from each other in the US? How far do you generally need to go?

In rural areas, they can be quite far.  In the city, my neighborhood, all voters are within 3 city blocks of each other. 
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »

my usual precinct is just a 10 minute drive down the street. this year i'm early voting at a polling place on my college campus. in the past, it was kind of inconvenient because the old polling place at an elementary school was only a half mile away but it was across a freeway so it took around 10 minutes to get to a turnaround to go the other way. I live in a suburban part of a large city.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »

In PA, they are based on population and municipality.  You can have some some municipalities with less than 50 voters, but they will be in the same area.

In sparsely populated areas, in theory, it could be a 20 minute drive.  In the city, it can be a 5 minute walk.

A few city precincts might have a few thousand voters, but most have, at most, maybe, 500-600 voters.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

Some towns in Connecticut have only one polling place for 10-15 thousand people, though the average is about one precinct for 5,000 people (= 2,000 or so voters)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »

In Iowa I went about seven blocks.  In Mississippi, it was about 3 blocks away.  In California, it was at least a mile, but easy cycling to there.  In Massachusetts, I voted about eight blocks from my house. 

I just used the PA SOS website to find out my polling place here, and it appears to be at Blossom Hill Mennonite Church, an easy bicycle ride, maybe a mile or so.  Actually, let's do this:  Okay, using the Google directions feature, it shows up as 0.8 miles from my crib.  I could even walk.  I'd have to cross one major street but there's a push-button walk signal there and sidewalks leading up to it. 

I find that I drive much more here than I did in IA.  I'll probably take the car anyway. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

Thanks for that. So, only a bit further than my one then.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »

In Austria there is 1 polling station for every 500 eligible voters.

Probably the reason why there are hardly any longer lines.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

I have always been able to walk to mine.  They have really nice people who spend 13 hours for about $200.00 to manage them. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies