Which of the following would make you less likely to support a candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:02:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of the following would make you less likely to support a candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following would make you less likely to support a candidate?
World of Warcraft player

History of marijuana dealing

Known to go to shows and engage in moshing and crowdsurfing

Connected to publication though not authorship of controversial newsletters ala Ron Paul

Was baptized as an adult in a neocharismatic church

Owns a liquor store

Owns a strip club

Owns an indie theater that shows NC-17 and "unrated" movies

Wears band shirts in public

Was a fan of a sports team that's a rival of a team you support

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following would make you less likely to support a candidate?  (Read 2447 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »

I voted 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.  Being baptized into a neocharismatic church (5) might be one of concern for me, except that I would probably be considered one of the theological liberals of my denomination (despite the fact that I am a moderate Christian overall.)  Being a fan of a rival sports team may not make me happy, but I respect people's right to that if they want to.  As for playing World of Warcraft, why in the world would that make me less likely to support a candidate?Huh  I don't know much about it, but if people want to play it, then I say go ahead.  As for wearing band shirts, I think it's tacky, especially if it's a band I don't really like, but again, I respect people's right to like different bands from me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »

OK this is showing some ridiculous double standards I've always suspected. The fact that even conservatives are listing #5 is proof of that. If I had included "is a Catholic" or "is a Mormon" I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near that number, which kind of kills the excuse that it's just because they believe that person would have to be socially conservative (which as I prove, is not true.)

Also the strip club and indie theater results show that this forum is actually quite prudish.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2012, 06:40:19 AM by 後援会 »

Really, 3 is the most offensive to me. 2 is somewhat offensive, but I suppose they could placate me by spinning it off as small business entrepreneurship or something.

What is offensive about 3?

It suggests certain cultural traits that turn me off. Frankly, the overwhelming majority of people who would attend any kind of show like that, I would be less able to get along with in person and less likely to want to represent me.

Nothing else on that list bothers me. Except maybe for marijuana dealing for its flagrant illegality. Which is why we should decriminalize it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:42 AM »

OK this is showing some ridiculous double standards I've always suspected. The fact that even conservatives are listing #5 is proof of that. If I had included "is a Catholic" or "is a Mormon" I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near that number, which kind of kills the excuse that it's just because they believe that person would have to be socially conservative (which as I prove, is not true.)
Maybe.  But to me, charismatics are more full of sh**t about their religion than your average Mormon or Catholic.  It's the speaking in tongues.  You seriously want us to believe you're not consciously mumbling random sounds and that it's the spirit of the Lord coming through you?   Please, sounds ridiculous to me.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I've got no problem with stripclubs, but the kind of guy who would go into that business (of all businesses) skeeves me out.  If that makes me a prude, so be it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »

4 and 7.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »

2, 4 , 7
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »

Maybe.  But to me, charismatics are more full of sh**t about their religion than your average Mormon or Catholic.  It's the speaking in tongues.  You seriously want us to believe you're not consciously mumbling random sounds and that it's the spirit of the Lord coming through you?   Please, sounds ridiculous to me.

Hmmm? I don't speak in tongues.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I've got no problem with stripclubs, but the kind of guy who would go into that business (of all businesses) skeeves me out.  If that makes me a prude, so be it.

Well some are kind of crazy yes, I once heard a stripper tell me she was fired from another club because the owner believed she was an assassin out to kill him and that the CIA was actually out for him. She pointed out he used to do tons of LSD and probably fried his brain or something. But not all. There's a town in southern Minnesota that elected a strip club owner to their city council. And what if it was a woman?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

A woman strip club owner I'd have no issue with and it even wouldn't be a deal breaker if it was a dude, but it would certainly make me less likely to support him, which was the question.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »

Ok...I could probably overlook number 1.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies