Poirot for Senate(s) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:03:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 53693 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
« edited: October 17, 2023, 04:34:30 PM by Poirot »

People of the Northeast,

My name is Poirot and I am running in the special election as an independent candidate to represent you at the Assembly.

I have recently immigrated to this country and region because this is a land (fantasyland even!) of opportunity. This explains why I have a funny accent and my English is not always perfect and clear. I apologize in advance. I want to give back to the community by holding public office and contribute to the prosperity of the region. My main concern will be to focus on the economic and budgetary impact of legislation.

I am not a household name across the region, so why have I decided to run? Mainly because of two democratic things. First, I saw there was only the appointed representative running in the special election. I believe voters deserve a choice at election time. Only having one candidate on the ballot is not a healthy democracy. By submitting my candidacy I offer voters a choice.

Second, I was surprised to see the appointed representative sponsoring a bill to amend the constitution and modify the bill of rights. This is playing with the fundamental law and doing so while being appointed to the assembly and not yet elected made me uneasy. This action could have waited a little to have more democratic legitimacy.    

My opponent in this race has a lot of support from the region's political establishment but it is YOU the voters that will have the final say. So I humbly ask for you vote.

Thank you kindly.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

I'm sorry if I have hurt anybody's feelings with my intro.

Here are some proposals and opinions on some topics I've seen discussed in threads.

Energy: something I propose is looking at hydro-electricity from Canada. They sell their power cheap and we could get a long term supply agreement. But I like if local communities are on board with this (like if we need power lines). Same thing with windmills, it is important for me that local communities accept them.

School curriculum: if it not has been done before, I would propose mandatory three years of a foreign language learning in high school and one year of economic studies (basic concepts, making a budget, smart credit use)

Tourism: spend to team up with tourism businesses for a promotional campaign targeting geographical markets near our borders (people who don't have to spend too much in transportation to visit our beautiful region)

Minimum wage: I jumped when I saw the minimum wage rate. I find this high. I think some of the benefits from the higher hourly rate for workers will be lost to an increase in inflation. I mean prices will go up because of higher employment costs. People who were working at the new minimum wage will have to be paid more (their job paid them more than the minimum before and will need to be paid higher than minimum now). This will lead to a general higher cost of living. It would be unfair to workers to cut the minimum wage so I would freeze it for some time instead of automatically indexing it.

About enlarging the St-Lawrence seaway: I am not sold on this. I have concerns about the environmental impact of this project. Will have to see if a new clause about the environment could come into play here. Also I foresee a high cost for the enlargment and still need to be convinced by a cost-benefit analysis.

Environment clause in the Bill of rights: I need reassurance that it would not open a floodgate of legal recourses against the government or industries .
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »

Just to make it clear, I was a registered voter for more than a week when I declared my candidacy.

I will have to talk with an image consultant to figure out if I come across too harsh. As for changing the constitution I had asked if citizens needed to vote on this to be adopted so I knew it was not only the assembly deciding. That is why I chose to use the way it was brought up, by an appointee representative, and use the democracy issue.

I was asked for policies so I'm trying to point out differences on issues discussed or proposed to give people an idea where I stand. I am aware my position on the wage is probably not popular.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

Thank you wolfentoad, Goldwater, cathcon for your words of encouragement. I am collecting partial endorsements and stitching them together to make full ones. Smiley

Thank you Snowbal, Alfred Jones, Napoleon for your good luck wishes.

To everyone who visits my campaign office, Poirot offers Belgian waffles and Belgian fries on the table over there. Serve yourselves.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »

Endorsed. (Though I'm not sure if you want an endorsement from the forum's most right-wing poster)

I accept all endorsements. Thanks.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »

I have chosen a campaign song.

Take a chance on me by Abba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mftz4gY7okk

I chose this because I acknowledge a notoriety gap and maybe I'm not the obvious, "safe choice". So sending a message to undecided voters, yes you should take a chance on me. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

Woohoo, a campaign logo! That's very kind. I was lacking a logo and sign. I had no designer on my team. I will put it in my signature.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »

You, voters of the Northeast, have to elect a representative. Before you cast your ballot I ask you to think if it's better to send an independent to the assembly or someone from a party representing the majority of representatives. I believe an independent voice would bring more political diversity.

Some could say I lack the political experience. To them I say we always need to start somewhere and remember this is a special election. Another election will come in a short time. The rest of this term is an ideal period to give me a chance. I'm asking you to "take a chance on me".

Thank you kindly for your time. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

Here is my opinion on the medical research act.

I agree on the need for pharmaceutical companies to be registered, that needs to be done for health and safety issue at least.

I think it's true pharmas spend a lot on marketing and lobbying. Taking prescription drugs should be a medical decision and not a sales job.

I cannot agree on deciding the areas of research for the companies. Maybe some areas will never be profitable or would needs decades to discover something, and a panel would be responsible for this (not the companies themselves).

This is a complex issue and I don't think there is an easy solution. Some thoughts I have on this topic.

To help some specific areas of research we could fund university research centers for them to work in those areas.

On the commercialization side, we could limit direct marketing of drugs to people like some countries do. (perhaps less adequate at regional level) In return we could give longer patent protection for new drugs. Also maybe we could look at working with doctors to make sure their code of ethics protect them from being too influenced by the companies.

I hope I have answered your question.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »

I congratulate Representative Barnes for his special election win.

The result was not a big surprise since a poll righlty predicted the final result.

I want to thank the visitors to my campaign thread, people who had words of encouragement, supporters, and voters; voters who decided to give me their trust and also all others who showed up to vote and exercise their democratic right. I am proud of having offered voters a choice. As a super wisdom person said: It's not really an election if there is only one candidate. And I can say I had the three most important things in a campaign: logo, song, and free food. Smiley

Thank you kindly.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »

Some nice comments there!

All the credit for the logo goes to wolfentoad66.
I'm grateful to him. I didn't expect someone would make me a logo. It was very generous of him.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »

Well, I just finished a short campaign and I don't have a lot of time to decide if I embark on another one. I have to think about this.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »

To give an answer to people who have enquired, I have decided not to run in the upcoming general election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »

Hello

It seems just like yesterday I was running in a special election for the Northeast assembly. I didn't win but it was an enriching and fun experience. Now there is another special election scheduled. It is with great excitement that I announce my candidacy to fill a vacant seat in the November special election.

This is my second time around and I'll try to make it better. I'm in New Britain Connecticut for my official launch but I will tour the region in the upcoming days and talk about current policy issues and topics.

Visitors to my campaign can get free leek soup. I know it's not as popular as junk food but it warms you up on a cold November day.   

I'm itching (especially my upper lip) to start. My logo should be unveiled soon. Don't forget to vote, the election is Movember 16th. I hope I can count on your support.

Thank you kindly.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »

While in Worcester Mass. for a political meeting, I unveil my logo for the Movember election. Poirot has a characteristic moustache so I decided to combine this with Movember since the election will be in November. I hope my logo is fun and original; it doesn't mean my candidacy is not serious.   

In case it needs more explanation, Movember takes place in November. Men let moustaches grow to raise funds and awareness for men's health like prostate cancer.
Poirot doesn't need a specific month to have a moustache. He has it all year long. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »

Those people pushing for capital relocation could modify their project to make it acceptable to more people, it could be changing location or the costs involved. Then they show the new version project for people's approval. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Proposing a modified project would show politicians have listened and done their homework. I say it is more acceptable that way.

The unaltered amendement would be legal, so acceptable legally. It's just pushing really hard on voters and them maybe accept it just because they are tired to hear about this is less noble.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »

I had a campaign event this morning in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. Inspired by the Bi-Lingual act being discussed in the Assembly I discussed my opinion on this, school curriculum and language.

I find it important to learn a second language. However I would like parents to have a choice in the language. For example, in this town 45% of residents have French or French Canadian ancestors, so they could be interested in learning French. If the Northeast region decides Spanish must be learned, there could be Spanish for all in primary school and then in high school students could choose another language. That could be a compromise.

Also I would maybe reduce the number of mandatory years of a second language study in high school by one or two. I would like the school curriculum to have time for other topics, like world geography and economics. The economics class is for teaching personal finance like budgeting, credit cards and mortgages so young adults can make smart choices, and learn basic economic principles.

While on the topic of languages I propose the region makes Englisg the official language if it's not already. It is basically to signal English is the common language, and governement debate, the judiciary and laws are made in it.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »

In the afternoon I visited Vinalhaven in Maine. I showed support to residents who suffer from the wind turbines noise. Their quality of life should not suffer.

A recent study concluded that noise from windfarms has a significant impact on sleep and mental health on those living nearby. To insure the well being of our citizens, I will make sure the maximum night noise level rules are applied and propose that future wind turbines not be built within three quarter miles of homes. Protecting health is important.

Thank you kindly.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »

Hi all

I end this day in Barre Vermont. I want to put forward my option of importing hydroelectricity to reduce our use of fossil fuel. Quebec has a surplus of hydroelectricity and maybe Atlantic Canada could want to export also. The rates are low nowadays so it would be a good time to sign a long term deal at a good price. This option could serve well our border areas; we just need to have good connection to the grid. It might need some investment if the capacity needs to be increased.

This concludes a busy day in which I visited three states.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »

From Lake Placid NY, site of the 1980 miracle on ice

November is not the only period associated with facial hair. During Spring we have hockey playoffs beards.

I am proposing to make ice hockey our region's official winter sport.

Vote for the Mo, vote Poirot.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »

This evening I'm in Nashua New Hampshire. I've stated in the past that I find the minimum wage at a high level. This could have effects like small businesses cutting working hours of workers to maintain profitability, Higher wage costs could also incite companies to go overseas.

Our region should be an attractive place to invest and the government has a role in creating a good economic environment. I am in favor of a freeze of the minimum wage since it is already at a high level.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »

I applaud efforts of our regional elected officials to get federal relief funds following the hurricane. People in affected areas can count on me if elected to join them in putting pressure and making sure money is not tied up in bureaucracy.

I'm in New York City to witness the situation (and take great pictures showing a caring politician). This city and the area needs to rebuild which leads me to talk about infrastructure. There is a great need for infrastructure: repair bridges, invest in public transit, have modern schools, etc. This take a lot of money. In the budget there is money set aside for the relocation of the capital. I am against relocating the capital. Let's keep it in New York City. We should instead use this money to fix our crumbling infrastructure and help hurricane damaged areas.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

The campaign is having a party night in Atlantic City NJ. All are invited. On stage Shalamar will perform Second time around. It is my campaign theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFBsQZNL0c

I chose this because it is my second time around running for Northeast assembly and the singer has a moustache (a distinctive thing in my advertising).

the second time is so much better, baby
and I'll make it better than the first time

People can learn the choregraphy steps and join in dancing. Since the campaign is in its final days, instead of fundraising for the political campaign, guests are invited to make donations to the Movember charity.
http://us.movember.com/

We will be distributing badges and pins with this.

I don't have the rights to this design, but I do for my campaign logo and people are invited to use and post it to support my campaign.

Vote for the Mo, Vote Poirot!   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »

Thank you for your endorsement Senator Simfan. I hope this gives some mo to my Mo campaign so close to voting day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies