Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54488 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: February 13, 2023, 04:48:06 PM »

I'm in New York City in Lincoln region. I'm announcing today that I am running for the Senate At-Large election to be held in a few days from February 17 to 19. I've decided to run because I was thinking of some issues and the positions of candidates and I had a hard time determining how pwoplw would vote on bills and came to the conclusion that the person I could trust to vote like I would is myself! It's been a few years since I ran in an at-large senate election but I've toured the country many times. I guess it will also help collect many frequent flyer points.

There was a forum poll asking if people support incorporation of Greenland by the Southern region. A majority of people oppose but when you look at the Greenland bill in the Senate, it could pass being only a few days on the floor and no major debate. I would vote nay. I don't view Atlasia as a kind of colonialist country who purchases territory to expand. Here in New York City we have the statue of Liberty. I don't view buying land and resources at the expense of local people a good vision. We could help them develop with trade deals or aid or even help with self governing if they wish but not buy and take control.

I fail to see the connection of Greenland to the South, it's not even close geographically. Maybe there would be a link with Fremont and Alaska. I oppose Greenland becoming a new state. The Senate just got rid of being able to vote from the UK territory. And like there was a deal with Canada, every region was linked to part of the terrirory, not just one region. These were common market type of deals so far from purchasing world territories.

Another topic that is discussed is Supreme Court reform. The forum poll show respondents are split. In the Senate comments made opposing proposed changes came mostly from people outside the Senate. I would vote nay because I prefer to keep the court independent. If justices need to be reappointed or reconfirmed they could worry about the impact of their decisions on their future, needing to please certain people. If there is a change it should be inside a process like constitutional convention to examine other impacts. For example if active players replce inactive players on the court there could be too many offices to fill by active people.

Another question in the poll is changing the status of the south in Atlasia. I'm with the majority and is against a change of status. I would keep things the same.

Candidates often run on change. I am running on the status quo. The status Poi-quo.

Thank you for listening.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #651 on: February 13, 2023, 05:35:39 PM »

Endorsed! Will this campaign be a write in or active campaign?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #652 on: February 13, 2023, 05:44:24 PM »

Endorsed.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #653 on: February 13, 2023, 10:00:27 PM »

Endorsed! Will this campaign be a write in or active campaign?

Active. I mean by today's standards if I make one or two posts it's an active campaign. I have a campaign song and I will try to have a sign.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #654 on: February 13, 2023, 10:22:33 PM »

I'm in Orlando in Florida in the southern region. I am here to present the official campaign song. I want to thank the local high school students who have learned a choreography to perform with this song. There is a lot of energy and talent in this school. Parents and friends can be proud of them.

The campaign song song is Stick to the status quo from High School Musical. 1.2.3.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kc8eZ8vqB8

No, no, no
Stick to the stuff you know
If you wanna be cool
Follow one simple rule
Don't mess with the flow, no no
Stick to the status quo

Wow. That was great. It gives me the energy to continue. I hope to have your support and try to convince your friends to get out to vote for me during the election.

Vote Poirot. Vote for the Status quo. Vote for Status Poirot.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #655 on: February 14, 2023, 05:44:21 PM »

I'm visiting Saint Paul in Minnesota (Fremont).

I would like the general public to follow more the debates in the Senate. The Congessional thread for the public was inactive for months. Do people not care about legislation that impacts their country and their lives or they use other forms of communications? I don't use discord so I can't debate outside the forum. I can only use the threads or private message. I think it's better to use threads. It also the public to understand the reason for a bill and the issue raised. Sometimes I wonder if there were discussions and deals made in private and the public is just presented with the end result.

When I look at the Senate there are so many threads I don't know where to start. I just give up or look at a couple if the title thread seems like something I find interesting. I would like for the Senate to have less legislation open at once. It will be easier to follow. Legislators will have time to concentrate on fewer bills. It gives time for legislators to carefully read the text, spot mistakes. You can have more time to research and think of issues. A legislator role is more than running on every thread to see is there is a vote ongoing.

I have heard some of your concerns. Nyman doesn't always hear you. There is a majority of people who doesn't want Greenland to be incorporated with the south yet the Senate is ready to authorize this power in one week. Major changes to the Supreme Court are considered and the people are split but you don't see equal voices in the Senate. Vote for me and I will be your voice.

Vote status quo. Vote Poirot.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #656 on: February 14, 2023, 05:49:58 PM »

I would like for the Senate to have less legislation

Very ambitious platform.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #657 on: February 14, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »

It's less legislation on the floor at the same time so legislators can concentrate more on bills. They need to scrutinize and analyze and think. Otherwise you pass things with bad consequences like removing the right to vote of some citizens or don't catch typing mistakes. It's difficult to do good work when you juggle twelve bills at the same time. And the public won't even know what is debated or adopted.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #658 on: February 14, 2023, 08:06:39 PM »

It's less legislation on the floor at the same time so legislators can concentrate more on bills. They need to scrutinize and analyze and think. Otherwise you pass things with bad consequences like removing the right to vote of some citizens or don't catch typing mistakes. It's difficult to do good work when you juggle twelve bills at the same time. And the public won't even know what is debated or adopted.

Right, but even with 20 slots full all the time we still have a backlog of 14 bills after more than a month and despite already passing close to 30 this session. If we halve the bill slots every senate would be voting on bills introduced in the prior session.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #659 on: February 14, 2023, 10:45:39 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2023, 06:13:59 PM by Poirot »

In Milwaukee in Wisconsin. I'm glad to be in my home region to talk about more campaigns, more votes, more candidacies, more Senate, more Poirot!

Yes it's true. I am officially announcing that I am running for the Lincoln regional Senate seat in next weekend election. I will try to hold the seat for the Liberal party. Lincoln is the region with the most presence of the party. I have a long history in the region. I settled here more than 10 years ago. I hope to have the nonor of representing you.

You should be able to see my camapign sign in my signature. It's good for Senate at-large and for Lincoln Senate. Poirot for Senate(s) is to show I am running in two Senate elections, hence the use of (s) to show plural.

The number 2 indicates two senate elections and there are two different ways roads to reach the Senate, symbolized by the arrows. The arrows also show the Liberal Party can be in the middle, between more extreme parties on policies. The sign also incorporates the slogan Status quo Status Poirot because it rhymes. I am not sure if the color of the Liberal party is gold or yellow but it's been traditionnaly blue so that's why I put those colors.

People of Lincoln, you can vote two times for Poirot. I am counting on you.
Vote Poirot for Senate(s).

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #660 on: February 15, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »

I'm in Sun City in Arizona in Fremont region.

I've heard many citizens are unaware of an election coming up, who are the candidates and what are the main issues discussed by the politicians. I don't want a fracture between people and elected officials. I prefer informed and engaged citizens. Maybe there is not enough news coverage and information about politics. For people here, federal politics in Nyman is very far. I would be open for the secretary of the Interior to give grants to news organizations so they can cover elections and legislative debates. Obviously this would be done in preserving the freedom of the press. There are many seniors here and some prefer traditional media to get their information so a big portion of help would go to traditional media to produce content.

Citizens of Fremont, you can vote for Poirot for federal At-Large Senate. If you feel confused you can contact us and a volunteer will help you fill a ballot.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #661 on: February 15, 2023, 03:56:04 PM »

Endorsed
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #662 on: February 15, 2023, 10:06:01 PM »

Thank you for the endorsement.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #663 on: February 15, 2023, 10:21:56 PM »

Visiting Lawrence, Kansas.
This state has suffered from territorial claims in its history. Battles over which region should be the home of Kansas have left scars among the population and between regions. When governments starts feuding about states ownership, it's bad. You know this first hand. We were in a more peaceful period so it's better to have the status quo. Every region keeps the states they have now. Every region stays the same, no switch between regions or the creation of new states. The country needs stability.

Southerners, if you wish for peace and stability vote Poirot for At-large Senate.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #664 on: February 16, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »

IMO ripping one state from another region with military force cannot be compared to adding a state to the union peacefully through a sale and the consent of those affected (Greenlanders). Without their consent, the law won't come into effect as far as I know.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #665 on: February 16, 2023, 12:00:11 PM »

Metting with voters in Providence, Rhode Island in Lincoln. I'm back in my home region. As I get older when I think of the past and memories I realise that many people are no longer with us. I miss them. I miss old times. I kind of wish time didn't pass so fast. I guess it's part of what they call life. Vote for the status quo. Vote Poirot.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #666 on: February 16, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »

I would like the general public to follow more the debates in the Senate. The Congessional thread for the public was inactive for months. Do people not care about legislation that impacts their country and their lives or they use other forms of communications? I don't use discord so I can't debate outside the forum. I can only use the threads or private message. I think it's better to use threads. It also the public to understand the reason for a bill and the issue raised. Sometimes I wonder if there were discussions and deals made in private and the public is just presented with the end result.

When I look at the Senate there are so many threads I don't know where to start. I just give up or look at a couple if the title thread seems like something I find interesting. I would like for the Senate to have less legislation open at once. It will be easier to follow. Legislators will have time to concentrate on fewer bills. It gives time for legislators to carefully read the text, spot mistakes. You can have more time to research and think of issues. A legislator role is more than running on every thread to see is there is a vote ongoing.

I have heard some of your concerns. Nyman doesn't always hear you. There is a majority of people who doesn't want Greenland to be incorporated with the south yet the Senate is ready to authorize this power in one week. Major changes to the Supreme Court are considered and the people are split but you don't see equal voices in the Senate. Vote for me and I will be your voice.

Technically, wanting to return to the days of less legislation would be reactionary (wanting to return to the past). The "status quo" would be retaining the 18 Senators we have now, and the same pace of legislative action.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: February 16, 2023, 01:36:18 PM »

Technically, wanting to return to the days of less legislation would be reactionary (wanting to return to the past). The "status quo" would be retaining the 18 Senators we have now, and the same pace of legislative action.

The status quo is President Cao and only 4 Labor Senators. I support that status quo.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #668 on: February 16, 2023, 05:44:58 PM »

I'm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in Lincoln.

I'm here to talk about independence. Don't panic. It's not about another regional independence gambit.  I want to discuss  the independence of game roles and functions.

The role of GM has big power over the game so it is very tricky to fulfill that role and also be an active politician. To avoid all conflict between roles and avoid all appearance of conflict of interest, GM should not have more than one function. A GM decides stories and a politician GM has to react to the stories. It's better to be fully independent.

The GM should be independent and not be pushed to write stories because politicians would like them to. The GM function is to there to advance a politician's pet project.

Justices of the court should be preserve as much of their independence as possible. They should not be forced to hear cases. They should decide on their own judgement. The selection of judges is already partisan in a way so it's not good to introduce things like having to be renominated. There is a risk the process will become more partisan. Justices should render judgement with peace of mind and not have to worry if a group, a region, a party, will be unhappy and the potential of keeping the job.

Let's preserve the independence of neutral functions.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #669 on: February 16, 2023, 09:36:26 PM »

I agree with Poirot that the Federalists are trying to rapidly change our country and we should stop these changes before it's too late.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #670 on: February 16, 2023, 09:38:44 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 09:55:52 PM by West_Midlander »

I agree with Poirot that the Federalists are trying to rapidly change our country and we should stop these changes before it's too late.

This is fearmongering, plain and simple. And implying that there's a threshold at which it would be "too late," whatever that means, is implying that the Feds wants to end democracy, or at least fair elections, which is your party's history, not ours.

Also, we have 7 Senators, far less than the 9 required to tie in the Senate and 10 to win an outright majority (assuming everyone votes). The Federalist boogeyman, alone, isn't able to make change in Atlasia; it's a broad multipartisan coalition that was democratically elected which is making change.

I believe "the right" only has 9 Senators, anyway, and very few votes have gone to a tie with most votes passing with a large majority of the voting Senate in favor but making misrepresentations and obfuscations is easier than appealing to the electorate truthfully.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #671 on: February 16, 2023, 11:40:27 PM »

I'm in Dayton in Ohio in the Lincoln region.

Lincoln citizens, my campaign ends here before the start of the election. Go vote when the voting booths are open. If the federal booth is not yet open, stay in line. Every vote counts. Don't forget you can vote Poirot two times: one time on the federal ballot for at-large senate and one time on the Lincoln regional ballot for Lincoln Senator. Don't hesitate to first preference on the two ballots.

The voice of a large part of the population is not heard in the Senate. I can be your voice. I've clearly explained some positions and I visited the three regions for the at-large campaign. I had a logo and a song. I think I have done enough to earn your support. The democratic health of the country is not in good shape. I will help heal this. Please vote Poirot. Thank you.

As I leave people chant: Poirot! Poirot!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #672 on: February 17, 2023, 02:30:26 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2023, 02:42:38 AM by West_Midlander »

Imo, as a former first-preference supporter on several occasions, simply saying that the democratically elected Senate doesn't represent a huge part of the electorate is not honest or accurate.

I will be staying tuned to your future campaigns though.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #673 on: February 20, 2023, 03:02:30 PM »

Disappointed at this result. Atlasia needs your voice, now more than ever.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #674 on: February 20, 2023, 07:48:33 PM »

Sorry for your election loss. I hope you’ll run again or maybe you can run for Pyro’s vacant seat in the LGC if you’re interested.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies