Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
Author Topic: Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression  (Read 16585 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »

This is not a spy thriller with cloak and dagger scheming. Its an elections game with no secret ballot and everyone living in very close quarters, 90% of the time anything convoluted or involving too many moving parts will always blow up in your face. Yea you have strategy and occasionally some clandestine dealing but on the whole if start to think you are Jason Bourne or James Bond you might want to reconsider your choice in gaming.

None of that would work out as you envisioned. The Speaker is a paper pusher, who merely advances the bills expeditiously and their competence is the only relevant factor. Who actually controls it is irrelevant to the functioning of the system as long as they do their job.

Either that or you don't understand the right or the left in this game at all. Which considering how this worked out, is very possible.

THIS.

I'm remembering a certain poster (who shall remain nameless) who tried to get "revenge" on the two major parties by initiating a convoluted blackmail scheme that ended with his being laughed out of the game by a bemused public. Some people seem to miss two essential points when they join this game: this is not real life and optics don't matter. The only people who pay attention to AFE are the active players, who are almost to-a-man party insiders and elected officials. The result is that attempts to manipulate "public opinion" with RL tactics never work (the people reading already decided who they were voting for months, in some cases years, ago), while making a fool of yourself by acting like a character from House of Cards will burn bridges and ensure you have no future in the game —because yes, you can't be elected president or wield significant power by yourself. That what some people seem to have learned from this is, "I should be more controlling and insane" is just hilarious.

This is politics and sometimes you do have to get down in the mud and wring the other guy's neck, but don't try to be cute about it. There's a reason Adam's reputation as "an honest *sshole" got him four terms in the White House, while this scheme imploded after a month. People might not like it when you attack them in public, but they know what to expect. Acting out some weird Machiavellian fantasy where you lie to everyone and then reveal your brilliant plan was to shoot yourself in the foot only makes you seem unreliable. People will vote for someone they loathe, but they won't vote for someone they think could blow up at any moment, taking them out in the process. Hence why Labor has been able to work with Yankee and Lumine (among others) in the past, while basically everyone expected the deal with Laki to implode even as it was being negotiated.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »

This is not a spy thriller with cloak and dagger scheming. Its an elections game with no secret ballot and everyone living in very close quarters, 90% of the time anything convoluted or involving too many moving parts will always blow up in your face. Yea you have strategy and occasionally some clandestine dealing but on the whole if start to think you are Jason Bourne or James Bond you might want to reconsider your choice in gaming.

None of that would work out as you envisioned. The Speaker is a paper pusher, who merely advances the bills expeditiously and their competence is the only relevant factor. Who actually controls it is irrelevant to the functioning of the system as long as they do their job.

Either that or you don't understand the right or the left in this game at all. Which considering how this worked out, is very possible.

snip

Yeah, if I wanted to do "dirty things" I would do it to people who would have a chance of succeeding and do it discretely because I don't want to piss off the other side even more, but in Laki's case, the pressure must have been hard on him, and I wouldn't envy being in his position.

Yeah, in order to win, you have to PM zombies who would have likely never joined hadn't someone in Labor PMed them in 2019/2018 to "SMASH THE RIGHT WINGERS" and will never see a page in Atlasia.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:36 AM »

If you want to scheme, use the "K.I.S.S Keep it simple Stupid" instead of making is so complicated and bigbrained.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »

snip

Yeah, if I wanted to do "dirty things" I would do it to people who would have a chance of succeeding and do it discretely because I don't want to piss off the other side even more, but in Laki's case, the pressure must have been hard on him, and I wouldn't envy being in his position.

Yeah, in order to win, you have to PM zombies who would have likely never joined hadn't someone in Labor PMed them in 2019/2018 to "SMASH THE RIGHT WINGERS" and will never see a page in Atlasia.
It's not a matter of discretion, it's understanding who your audience is and how your actions reflect back on you. Every action is also a statement —about who you are and how you do business. "Pissing off the other side" is perfectly acceptable, even sometimes necessary the problem with what Laki did is that he told different stories to different people, and that this fits into a larger narrative of him changing course frequently and seemingly at random. Voting for Cao to f*** Labor, or voting with Labor to gain influence over the left, are both solid strategies depending on what your goals are. People don't need to like you to work with you, but they do need to be able to trust that you will keep any promises you make. This has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with the practical work of relationship-building: it's really not surprising that Atlas, that home of the nervous and socially inept, produces so many would-be politicians who fundamentally do not understand how to read the room.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »

There was a safe, straight forward and easily explainable justification for Greens to vote for Cao. A safe, moderate, Non-Laborite to break the laborite hold on power.

In order to strategize, not scheme, strategize you have to understand the situation as it really is, ie the role of the Speakership and what it does and the symbolism it does hold.

You can then pair this with a voting record on each individual bill that is in the "Green's Interest". A good example of this just not happening at all is we were approached and requested that we not attempt to push paygo, which was an alarming sign to me. Because in my mind, Greens should have wanted us to push some controversial things they could vote against to prove their bonafides. Gets back to the false conceptualization of the House and how it works and it actively undermining their objectives. I even tried to explain to them then, what I have said in this thread now about how the House works, but clearly that didn't register.

There was no surprise here forthcoming and there is little they could take that  we didn't already not have except maybe for the Presidential election in a perfect landscape and thus no grounds for betrayal, at least from my view. Its like there is this outwardly solid object that is hollow on the inside with them betraying this illusory concept of "A coalition", that doesn't even exist in such a tangible form. If the Greens voted straight left on every bill after the Speakership vote, it would have been annoying but it would have made sense and even been expected not as some "ooh we got you dumb Feds", but as a strategy to build credibility vis a vis labor. One that was even discussed over the past weeks (the paygo discussion referenced above).

I told PSOL during the elections that he was merely playing a part in a movie I had seen four times in the past. This reminds me so much of the ARC when it formed, where you had Mint (now known as Ghost-White on the forum) as sort of the King Tchenka figure that many people respected, but the real dominant figure was Einzige who had just a horrendous read on the politics and the lay of the land. Laki is a much better person then Libertas thankfully and we should all be thankful that there wasn't a parallel for Hamilton in this scenario.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »

My only regret was permanently killing KoopaDaQuick’s political career.

lolwut
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »

My only regret was permanently killing KoopaDaQuick’s political career.

lolwut

There have been so many times where either on lokcord or in this case where I have been reminded of this line from Yugioh Abridged:

Kaiba to Pegasus: I will avenge my brother's death.
Mokuba: But I am not dead Seto
Kaiba: SHUT UP MOKUBA!!! 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #357 on: July 13, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »

In light of recent events, I am fully endorsing the Labor slate. Much has been spoken of me joining the next government as part of a policy council, and while I am open to the offer and thankful to Spark, I will vote for the Labor candidate and slate over the DA/Feds. The reason for such an endorsement is Covid, put simply over any other issue, Labor has been the only major force to have the more responsible Pandemic policy by being cautious. It hasn’t been good, I’ve spoken here of the many mistakes Labor had done in relation to their Covid policy, but the working people of Atlasia would suffer more under a Federalist/DA administration, and that takes priority in these times.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #358 on: October 23, 2023, 06:22:49 PM »

I behold to Atlasia a new institute for the study and promotion of human-centered policies. In the coming time period I will be being more active in the A.C.L.O as well which has been static for so long.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies