Westman, Part II: The Rising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:01:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman, Part II: The Rising
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Westman, Part II: The Rising  (Read 29392 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
« edited: December 25, 2013, 10:04:24 PM by Flawless Victory »

1988 Republican Iowa Caucus:

Though enjoying a sizable lead at first, in the days following the embarrassing debacle that was the trial against Scott Westman by his Vice Lloyd Donlon, Attorney General Jay Rockefeller would ultimately drop out of the race in mid November due to what he considered an "unforgivable slight on my character" due to the effects of the controversy.  Immediately afterwards Rockefeller would make a heartfelt endorsement for former Vice President Bush, claiming that he is "the man proven for our times."  However, a number of his former supporters, feeling that Bush had a lackluster political career and just could not connect on the issue of the DAA, swarmed to the campaign of Oklahoma Senator Francis Keating.  A Republican from a traditionally Democratic state and a pro-law and order Irish Catholic, many establishment Republicans started lining up behind Keating as they realized a potential voter outreach to undecideds/conservative Democrats who favored the DAA.
On the other side, Ron Paul was convinced by the Percy campaign to drop his bid for president with the promise that Percy would actively campaign against the Defend America Act instead of the initial "lukewarm" position he had regarding it.  His increased stance against the DAA would cost him some among moderate voters, but would gain him largely among small government and civil libertarian voters.  He also took a moderate tone on union issues, saying that he would have a bipartisan commission look at the current labor laws and regulations and see if there needs to be a revisit of old laws like Taft-Hartley as well as encouraging more union mediations over lay offs.  A lot of Republicans hit Percy on this point hard, noting that compromise towards labor unions was for "dye in the wool Democrats", not "fiscally responsible moderate Republicans."  Percy defended his outreach, noting that the GOP must adopt a more openminded and fair approach to unions and their concerns.  It seemed that both Percy and Keating, the front runners, were making a hard drive for traditionally Democratic union members, depending on their views of DAA.
Many considered Percy's campaign to be "the most successful liberal Republican campaign since Thomas Dewey", noting that a number of his civil liberty, foreign policy, and even union views were more liberal than a number of Democrats who were running.  In fact, Mo Udall was considered to be the only candidate who was to Percy's left on unions, and he was supporting the repeal of Taft-Hartley (a pretty liberal position at the time)!  John Lindsay's campaign in 1976 was more liberal, but many commentators noted that at this stage in the game Percy already had an astronomically higher chance of getting the nomination than Lindsay ever did in 1976.  Percy's campaign strategists, who were on several news programs, noted that Percy was running a "center left Civil Rights/center right fiscal campaign" to help the party move away from it's reliance on it's alliance with the Conservative Party that had dogged it for most of the decade.
In other Primary news, Jack Kemp and Newt Gingrich used their time in the Primaries to wage a personal war against each other.  Gingrich, trying to market on his "New Republican" ID, was making an outreach for practical pragmatic solutions only to be railroaded by Kemp who unloaded a full 2 minute attack ad on Gingrich's character.  Many observers would note that as long as Kemp was in the race, probably as a purely anti-Gingrich nominee, Gingrich's chances were shot to hell.
Ultimately, this left Keating and Percy as the only two viable candidates in the Primaries.  And Iowa hadn't even happened yet.  Gingrich had a sizable following in the South, but not much outreach in Iowa.  After weeks of dogging attacks from Kemp, Gingrich dropped out of the primary, but not before calling Kemp a "nasty son of a bitch."  After this Kemp was talked into dropping out by Keating, who promised a position in his cabinet after pointing out how far his chances of winning the nomination were.
In the end, only Bush, Keating, and Percy were left.  Bush had a distant third, but was still in the race, saying that he hoped that after Iowa he could make a better case as the logical choice for president compared to the two "big contrasts" on his right and on his left.
At the end of the Iowa Caucus night, it was a clear Percy victory:

Robert Percy (R-Illinois) 42.18%
Francis Keating (D-Oklahoma) 39.17%
George HW Bush (R-Connecticut) 18%
Others: .65%
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »

September 9th, 1978
Senator Westman's Office
Washington DC:

Westman was sitting at his desk going through some important notes on the recent Palestine Trade Deal that he was trying to pass through the Senate.
Unfortunately, right when he was about to propose it the Pro-Jew congressmen had begun rattling the sabers on the so-called "abuses" of the Palestinian state.
My ass.
It was perfect timing too, as Westman was in the final stages of getting to pass the first comprehensive free trade deal with a secular Middle Eastern state.  This could, if the hawks don't have their way, be the first step towards rejuvenating US relations with the rest of the region and ultimately give more favoritism towards the country in regards to oil.
But no, supposedly the hawks believed that the best way to do that was constant and vigilant interventionism to depose corrupt "tyrants" who didn't outright support the US interests.  Funny how almost each time hawks succeeded on that front, another revolution would happen with a decisively more anti-American tone!
He looked up at the details of his current bill.
To instill a spirit of cooperation and mutual hope among the Middle Eastern Powers and the United States.
Not possible in this environment I'm afraid.

He gets a phone call.
Westman: Yes who is this?
Montana Governor Gerry Schumacher: It's Gerry.
The current Governor of Montana, 56 year old Gerry Schumacher was it's second most visible politician (after yours truly, of course).  At the moment he was in the news for being an open critic of the Reagan Administration's drug politics.  The Governor infamously began a video broadcast to the people of the state with a marijuana plant in a pot on his desk.  He then went into a rant about how if legalized nationwide the pot could bring a reliable source of tax revenues.
Westman: Yeah, what can I do for ya?
Schumacher: Man, when are we going to get this legalization bill going?
Westman: Gerry, Gerry, I've been trying as hard as possible but the corporate interests and big Tobacco are like totally filibustering it left and right.  I had to sustain a three hours rant from Robert Byrd on the "immorality" of "intoxicating vapors".  They all seem to believe that just one whiff will destroy families and communities.  I'm doing what I can, but it's a tall obstacle.
Schumacher: Well we need to at least make a symbolic stand or something?
Westman: Yeah we could do that.  Or I could make a Legalization Bill and then a Tax Bill and then later on propose a "Decriminalization Bill".  We pretty much need to weaken the case for the DEA, maybe even advocate for it's dissolution, and then we should be set for a federalist momentum in our favor to advocate for bill in favor.  However, right now I am stuck with this Palestinian business.
Schumacher: Oh god, that sh*t?  You know how much of this I hear at home?  "Oh Gerry they are being massacred out there!  Their lands are being taken from them!  Have you no sympathy!?"
Schumacher might've been a Jew and a Democrat, but he was far from a defender of Wall Street like others were.  He recently endorsed Westman's statements on the situation, noting that the Jewish land deals in the north of the country were more akin to a "mob deal" than any legitimate sort of purchase.  He got into fire on the East Coast for being a self-hater but his approval ratings weren't hit at all in Montana.
Westman: Oh is Gertrude giving you fresh sh*t again?
Schumacher: Well well, she just happens to have an uncle over there who has about 45 acres that he got from a shady dealer in the area who sold his parents' land, after they were deceased, to him for 65% below market value on the condition that he contribute to producing a profitable wine vineyard.
Westman: Well important thing to note is that, and this is glazed over by journalists and congressmen alike, is that a lot of these "Jewish lands" had hundreds of poor natives living on them.  For every Jewish family that got land many conservative estimates say that five Palestinians lost their lands and were forced to live elsewhere due to shady possibly illegal dealings between the rich estate owners and their Jewish friends.
Schumacher: But you know what they'll say "oh you are just being a bigot!" without taking due consideration of the facts.  It's a very tricky business isn't it?  Anyway, I hear that that nice Republican couple will be in town this week.
Westman: Oh yes, Helen and. . . .  . . damn it.
Schumacher: I believe his name is "Daniel".
Westman: Oh right, pretty hard to remember his name.
Schumacher: Well, with the way you looked at Helen, I can understand why.  You acted like he didn't even exist and that you were about three minutes away from taking her into a nearby electrical closet and shuffling her circuits.
Westman: Come on man. . . . . I mean look at him.  He's so pathetic!  He probably weighs about what?  108?  Dude looks like a f***in' f****t!
Schumacher laughs.
Schumacher: Come on man, don't be that rude.  He fits in his loafers quite well I imagine being married to Helen.  Anyway, for what it's worth Helen seemed kind of sad she didn't get any of your Vitamin S that night.  You should've seen the way she looked after you man.  You guys could have something beautiful, if she wasn't married and all.
Schumacher was talking about an event that several Democrats and Republicans in the state attended in June of that year.  He and Daniel Weathers talked about a lot of uninteresting bullsh*t.  Mostly about boating on Flathead or something.  That left Westman and Helen alone for three hours.  In those three hours Westman shared her his entire life story, talked about his turn-ons, what he looks for in a woman, had about 12 drinks, played with her hair, talked about his favorite hockey team, and was about two seconds away from blowing in Helen's ear when the two men showed back up, as if on cue.
From Westman could tell, it seemed like Helen barely got any action.  I mean, how else could one explain it?  She was clearly living a loveless marriage and was pressured (probably by family) to marry early like a bunch of ultra traditional people were.  Though, in her case, he didn't see the excuse.  She had no children, has never been pregnant, and she obviously doesn't love her husband.  And from what he could tell, he didn't love her either.
Westman: I was about three seconds away from being in her.  Some loving marriage she has.
Schumacher: Maybe it was just an odd timing for the.  People did drink after all.
Westman: Dude, Helen hardly ever drinks.  She distrusts the feeling she gets from it.  Feels it makes her too vulnerable.  And I was about four drinks away from being full blown drunk!
Schumacher: So you had about 16 drinks?
Westman: Twelve.
Schumacher: Getting weak in your old age!
Westman: Better than you pussy.  How many did you have at that Mazel Tov thing?
Schumacher: You mean my niece's bar mitzvah, you dumbfock Fenian?
Westman laughs.
Westman: Point is, I was in a state where she had no excuses.  I will have her someday man.  That little f****t husband of hers can't stop me.  I am more of a man than he will ever be.
Schumacher: Well of course.  You have like a decade over him in age.  What's in again?  ninth grade?
Westman: Motherf***er probably needs help unzipping a bra for chrissakes.  Hell, he probably wears the bra to be honest.  Maybe even one of those freaks who takes it in the ass while wearing a dress.  He certainly doesn't seem like he has a lot of straight confidence that's for sure.
Schumacher: You know it's always fun to hear you talk, but what exactly is your obsession with homosexuals?  It seems to be a little concerning.  I mean you talk about them a lot!
Westman: Well, how can you not?  They are everywhere!  Constantly plotting to undermine me!
Schumacher: Pills dude, they work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

"Constantly plotting to undermine me", haha! The more you write, the more nuanced Westman gets.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

September 11th, 1979
The Red Oyster Club
Fairfax, Virginia:

Scott Westman and Calpernia Weils were in a booth, celebrating what would be nine months of living together.  Three of those months rather intimately.
He was in a jeans and black shirt.  She had was in a blue dress.  She felt very overdressed for the occasion.
She looks at him, curiously.
Westman: What beautiful?
She blushes.
Calpernia: I'm just looking at you and wondering what exactly is it about you.  I mean really?  You are quite fascinating Scott Westman.
Westman: Says the beautiful model archaeologist?
She laughs again.
Calpernia: I'm sorry it's just, you could have any of the women in the world.  And yet you. .  . . love me.
Westman looks like he's somewhere else.
Calpernia: I mean, I know how you feel about me.  I know what you were like with other women.  I knew you treated them as casual things.  However, when we are in bed and you are.. . . . . inside me I know it's different.
Westman wished he was somewhere else.  He really didn't like Calpernia bringing up them being intimate.  She was pretty conservative on the details, but he didn't exactly enjoy being told, in public, that they had sex.
She looks at him with a look of irritation.
Calpernia: Look, why are you so afraid to talk about your feelings?  I feel like lately all I'm getting from you is "hey baby let's f***!"  If all I am is a piece of meat to you, why do you stick around?  Why do you cuddle me for hours after?  Why do you tell me you love me?  I know you tell everyone that, but I feel like now it actually means something!
Westman gulps down his drink.  This is going to be f***ing heavy, he thought.
Westman: Look babe, forget it alright?  Of course I love you.  I thought that was pretty obvious.
Calpernia: What the f*** is that supposed to mean?!
Her Scottish accent breaking showed that things were getting a bit heated.
There's no way I can break this delicately.
Westman: If I didn't love you, I would've never banged you.  Alright?
Cal suddenly looked very shocked.
Calpernia: Such a great guy you know!  A real f***in winner!
Westman: Look Cal, I mean. .  . . it's great.  You should be proud that I am able to overlook some. . . . things.
Calpernia: Oh I get it, it took a woman with balls for you to understand what love was?  How pithy!  How pathetic!
Westman looked at her with annoyance.
Westman: Goddamn it woman, would've you preferred not getting screwed?  I mean, what the f*** do you want from me?  I give you sheltah, I buy all your goddamn things even though you have a full time f***in job that probably makes more than mine does, and I love you.  Probably more than you got before.
Calpernia: Excuse me?  EXCUSE ME!?
Westman: Well I mean, come on Cal. . . . . how many guys are at the bar would be okay with a woman carrying a PPK?
Calpernia: I think that you of all people should know that it's easy for a guy to overlook that fact when the safety is on!
The waiter is giving them weird looks.
Waiter: Senator, are you changing your view on gun control?
Westman laugh.
Westman: No you stupid f***.  Now give me my drink.
The Waiter gives him another whiskey and coke and Calpernia straight rum before walking off to another table.
Westman: Now if you are done, there are some people here that I am expecting from back home.
Calpernia looks at him with some offense and shock.
Calpernia: Damn you Scott!  I thought this was supposed to be our night!
Westman: Well it can be.  Now come on over here.  I want to give the impression that we're a couple.
Cal gets up and sits next to him.  When she sits down she nails a not so playful groin shot on him.
Westman: Doh!  Why'd you do that?
Calpernia: You had it coming.  Pig.
As the two lovers were about to resume their quarreling, the guests had arrived.  Westman rose to greet the black haired woman, and then give a non-interested nod to her 5'8" brown haired husband.
Westman: Helen, Daniel.  Nice for you to join us.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2013, 01:04:26 AM »

Red Oyster Club
Cont.Sad

The two couples were seated at the table.  Having recovered from her attack on him, Westman had peacefully put his right arm around Calpernia with his left on the whiskey glass.  She, having settled down at the sight of his friends, rested her head on his shoulder.
Helen and Daniel, predictably, looked pretty distant.  Like they weren't even married.
Westman, sensing the awkward energy, decides to capitalize.  Despite, you know, not having much more to gain from their marital discord.
Westman: So guys, how's it going?  Daniel, are you making good on your plans for a political career?
Daniel shrugged.
Daniel: Got beat for the GOP nomination last year to some pro-oil hack.  Still working at Breckenridge and Meyer.
So he works at a law firm that shares one of its names with one of history's widely known traitors? Fascinating.
Wasn't really a shock to Westman though.
Westman: Oh yes, John Breckenridge.  I know of him.  Didn't he pave the way for the Civil Rights movement?
(snicker)
Daniel: I don't know.  Never heard of the guy.
Westman chokes on his laughter before getting slapped by Calpernia.
Helen: Now that is just mean Scott.
Westman: What?  He said he worked at Breckenridge and Meyer!  Maybe it's the great Civil War Hero!
Helen: Oh yes, John Breckenridge, the great Civil War hero who fought on the side of the Confederacy!  Who can forget him!
Cal and Dan, who have no idea about history, both crack up.  Dying from the laughter.
Westman takes advantage of the moment.
Westman: See kid!  This is why you are losing elections!
Daniel looks perplexed.
Daniel: Because I don't know my history?
Westman points an assertive finger at him.
Westman: You damn right!  You have to have a lot of great ignorance if you claim to be political but don't know Tammany sh*t about the Civil War!
Daniel: But I do know about the Civil War!
Westman looks bewildered.
Westman: Excuse me, what!?  You know what!?
Daniel: I know about the Civil War!
Westman: Oh really ya do don't ya?
Daniel: I know that the South was an evil and barbaric place where slavery was allowed and that it the war was fought to free the slaves and that the good guys in the North won and civilized the South!
Westman starts cackling laughing.
Westman: I'm sure the boys at Tierney's Grill would love to hear that version of it!
Daniel looks confused.
Westman: Lord, you really don't know sh*t, do ya?  No wonder why you lost a f***in State House race!  Seriously boy, read a book or somethin!  Were ya homeschooled?!
Daniel: I'm sorry, I just don't know what you mean.  I mean, what does history have to do with politics?
Westman: Moron, it's through history where we get our politics!  If you can't understand that you might as well prepare for a future in commodities trading.  You wonder how someone like me has gotten this far in life?  It's because I am a master of both history and politics!
Daniel looks unimpressed.
Daniel: Okay sure whatever.
Westman: Jesus, what're ya?  Twelve?
Daniel: Yeah, that's a point my opponent made repeatedly.
Westman: Helen, is it even legal for him to be out?  I thought the age here was 18.  Which in my mind is fascist enough. . .  .  Cal's barely old enough to get in.
Cal, having settled down, begins to stroke Westman's thigh..  . . intently.
Calpernia: Yeah, but right in the middle of YOUR age range.  Am I right!?
The two start french kissing and petting each other in front of the other couple.  Helen makes a loud clearing of the throat.  Westman pulls away from Cal.
Westman: Sorry, was a bit distracted from her grabbing my privates.  You were saying?
Helen: God you are impossible.  I came here expecting a civil conversation and all you seem to be doing is belittling my husband.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Helen babe!  Settle down!  It's all in good fun!
Westman lets out a barely audible moan. Whatever it was, it was clearly the result of Calpernia.
Helen looks at her with a look of either rage or shock.  Cal notices and giggles.
Calpernia: Oh umm sorry, was just trying to find. . . . well. . . something.
Helen: Yeah. . . . . something indeed.  Anyway Scott, I didn't expect you to get such a catch.  She's a little bit older and taller than the others, isn't she?
Calpernia laughs.
Calpernia: Well yeah of course!  I'm only one of the top models in the country right now lady!  Calpernia Weils, have you heard of me?
The name sounds familiar Helen thought.  Then she remembered the catalogue that she got with that exotic looking black haired beauty modeling the various swimsuits and lingerie who seemed to define statuesque.
And the book that I sometimes catch Daniel looking at. . . . . . .
Helen: Oh right, you're the swimsuit girl!  Nice to meet you!
Calpernia huffs.
Calpernia: Of all the things you could say, you say "swimsuit girl".
Helen: Well you look very good in them!  Doesn't she Daniel?
Daniel seemed to have been lost in the few seconds after he found out that the woman sitting across from him was the same woman he had been erm studying for the past few months.  Such great curves. . . . a man could get lost in them.
Daniel: Oh yes indeed.
Helen looks at him weird.
Calpernia pulls out her cigarettes from her purse.
Calpernia: Well I'm sure that you and Scott have a world of things to talk about.  How about I take Lover Boy over there out for a smoke or two?
Daniel: Ugh yeah sure!
Helen: Babe, you don't smoke.  You hate it!
Daniel: Well I would like to hear about her story while taking in the smell of the fresh outside air!  I mean, who wouldn't!?
Calpernia: That's a good boy.  Come follow me, Eager Beaver.
She takes a look at Westman.
Calpernia: Don't worry, love, I won't be long.
She sticks her tongue in his ear canal, stroking unbelievable feelings.  It took Westman every ounce of restraint he had from ravaging her on sight.
He watches as Daniel follows her like a total horndog.
Westman chuckles as they go out the door.
Westman: Yeah, that's a real keeper you got.
Helen looks beside herself.
Helen: Unbelievable.  You just can't let up can you?
Westman: What'd ya mean?
Helen: I know what this is about Scott.  And no, I'm not falling for it.
Westman: What?
Helen: THe whole charade with that. . . . . . woman.
Westman: Oh Calpernia?  I mean we've been steady you know and it's just. . . . . oh you know?  How?
Helen: I took a few classes in biology Scott.  Was trying to be a doctor at first.  There are some pretty obvious signs you can tell when looking at someone.  It's a nice act you put on, but I"m not falling for it.
Westman: Listen Helen-
Helen: I mean you really surprised me this time!  Look, I respect you as a friend, but I won't f*** you!  How many times do I have to make that clear!?
Westman: Helen, I-
Helen: You think I forgot about how you almost had your way with me last year!?  When I was most vulnerable?  After I let my heart out to you about my fertility issues?!  And now you come here, with some arm candy with you?  And you don't even bother to bring an actual woman!?
Westman: Look damn it!  Let me talk!
Helen: I mean, it isn't like it would be hard for you to find one.  That way you could at least get something in case this plan fai-
Westman: I'M IN LOVE WITH HER DAMN YOU!
Helen: Oh that's nice-what?
Helen has a look of incredible disbelief on her face.  After a few seconds, it turns to regret and shame when she senses the sincerity in his face.
Helen: Oh wow.  You're serious.
Westman didn't say a word as Helen suddenly started looking guilty.
Helen: Scott. .   . I'm sorry.  It's just. . . . . .. . I mean I've known you for years and this is just. . . . . .
She lost the words.  In another time she could've finished them, but the silence of her guilt, the sting of her remorse was sinking in.  She had married Daniel a few years ago.  But a part of her heart had been with Scott Westman.  And now she realized, he had moved on.
He moved on.
That realization was perhaps one of the most painful things.  Hell, it was a sin to even think like this!  Her being married and all!  However, at the root of it all she looked the idea that there was a man this crazy about her who would openly defy her marriage in the pursuit of what he thought should be his.  Yes, a part of Helen Brisco Weathers wished to be taken by someone else.  However, there was always one someone else.  That someone else being Scott Westman.
And now he had found another.
Her heart had shrunk to a tiny shell of it's former glory.
And to top it all off, it was with a woman who isn't even!  Talk about being insulted by mother nature!
Helen huffed.
Westman just laid back into his corner, taking another drink.
Westman: I know.  I had a similar response.  Being in love, especially in a situation like this, is a pretty sobering reality.  Look, I know I haven't always been the best friend, or the most proper gentleman, but I want you to know Helen that I care.  I've always cared.  And I'll always be there.  Even if you are a Republican and I'm a Democrat.  I will always be a phone call away.  Promise?
She reaches over the table and grabs his hand.  She looks at him and smiles.
Helen: Promise.
Westman, wanting to break the serious air, asks.
Westman: So how is that baby coming along?
Helen begins to cry.
Westman: Oh Jesus.  Look, I'm sorry.  What happened?
Helen: Well. . . .I miscarried.  First time we got one in in two years!  And I lost it!
Westman, who had two children himself, felt awful.
Westman: I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child.
Helen: I would give anything not to have to feel it after that.  Worse of all the doctor says that the stress of the miscarriage has rendered me infertile.  Probably forever.
Westman buried his head in his hands.  For some reason, the news that another man's wife would never have children made him emotional.  In what was a shock to both Helen and him, he began to cry.
Westman: NO!  NO!  NO!  DAMN IT!
She goes over to his side of the table and leans against his shoulder.
Westman: I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry.  I just wish. . . .if only.  Why God?  Why!?
Crying fresh tears of her own, Helen says softly.
Helen: If only we knew.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »

"Red Oyster Club"? Heh.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »

Red Oyster Club
Cont.Sad

A few minutes after their emotional moment, Helen and Scott were back on their other sides of the table.  The waiter had come back and asked where the other two went.  Helen and Scott had no clue.
Helen: Awful long smoke she's takin'.  I wonder what the devil they could be talking about?
Westman laughs.
Westman: You'd be surprised.  I know Cal seems like she doesn't have much except a sex drive, but when you're alone with her she really opens up.
Helen: Oh, I bet she does.
Westman: No, I mean like metaphorically.  She's a part time archaeology student you know?
Helen: Really?
Westman: Yeah, she's been of and on in a dig in the Badlands actually.  Some ancient Native tribe that the experts believe might be distantly related to the Vikings.  But hey, you didn't hear it from me.
Helen: So how is it being Max Baucus' obsession?
Westman laughs.
Westman: Well at first the man couldn't wait to buddy buddy with me.  But then once he began hanging around the establishment and then realizing he already got elected, he turned on my like a true salamander.  Like a real reptile, that's what he is.
Helen: Can't say I'm too shocked.  He seemed like a grand opportunist.
Westman: Or an annoying moderate hero.  Many say that me and him are a lot alike.  Personally I find that absurd.  He doesn't even agree with the Mansfield position on foreign policy.  Which is crazy, given that the three US House Representatives and myself all agree on it.
Helen: Probably just bidding his time in case an opportunity for a bigger run comes up.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Ha!  Max Baucus becoming President!  How absurd!
Helen: Well, he did beat you a few years ago.
Westman: Oh you just had to bring that up!  I won a clean majority victory for my first election to the Senate!  I had a majority of the statewide vote!  What did this joke do?  48.78%!  He barely beat his Republican opponent by .20%!
Helen: You also forgot the part about it being a Republican wave year and old Metcalf losing his mind.
Westman: Oh yes of course.  I felt like at times I was the only Montana Senator in the chamber.  Poor Lee spent half of his time in the hospital.  Would've really appreciated more of a concerted effort from him earlier, especially on environmental issues.  Anyway, I don't see Baucus lasting much longer.  He seems like the type who is doomed to fail.  ANyways, my approval ratings are higher than he is, for what it's worth.  And that's really saying something.
Helen: Well, sad that Rosseau's campaign against him failed.  We really could've used your enthusiastic support.
Westman: Yeah, and then I could kiss what respect the party had for me goodbye!  It would look especially bad, given that Baucus was kissing my ass all general election season.  Probably the only thing that saved his ass now that I think about it.  F***ing Butte machine, they'll support anybody!
Helen: Well, the GOP seems to have recovered quite nicely.  Your old pal Schumacher seems to be tanking.
Westman: Well with McGuinness and his ilk torpedoing any real reform initiatives that he is trying to pass, making it harder for the Governor to work with is own party than with Republicans, it's not surprise.  The losses we had last election were quite shameful.  It wasn't that long ago when the Republicans would've been lucky to have 10 seats in the House.  Now they got 52!  Why?  Because some fat drunk mick union bastards in Butte think they can run the state like it's the goddamn U.S.S.R like they have for decades now.  We got lucky once with extreme Republican disorganization.  We can't afford that luxury much longer, especially since the party is now actually organized now and has a growing and stable voting bloc which they haven't had since like what?  1958?
Helen: I thought it was shameful we couldn't even beat Dresden.  I mean the guy was an outright Marxist as far as I'm concerned.  Wanting to nationalize all utilities and the steel mills?  And he beat Riddle?  How?!
Westman: Well, it also helps that Riddle was caught in a sort of scandal.  Like he was paying his brother in law or somebody with campaign funds.  I just remember the election and it seemed like Riddle was portrayed as some snake oil salesman who had no real convictions.
Helen: Well the party seems to be having a Civil War over who will lead us.  Many of the party establishment favor Richard Peters.
Westman: Richard Peters?  That rich piece of sh*t who is drilling the sh**t out of the Dakotas and the east?  REally?  They couldn't find a promising representative or senator?
Helen: Well our numbers might've improved greatly, but we are still short on people with the big potential.
Westman: Don't sell yourself short woman.
Helen: Excuse me?
Westman: You heard me Helen Weathers.  You have what it takes.
Helen: You got to be kidding me.
Westman: I mean your husband doesn't have jack.  You do.  You can give any Democratic Senator a run for his money.  Especially in Billings.  I'm serious, when you get back to Billings you are going to run for office.
Helen laughed.
Helen: And why should I do that?
Westman: Why not?  You talk about how your party is growing and what not, why not be a part of it's growth?  I mean, I know you and Dan want to be involved but you got more natural political acumen than he does.  You are the politician, not him.  Run for office, get your seat, and make a stand.  Your party needs people like you.
Helen: Well, Pete would certainly like more sympaticos in the Legislature.  If I hear anymore about the "New Montana" from Coulter and other Peters accolytes I'm going to vomit.
Westman: Alright that's the spirit!  Oh hey, where have you guys been.
Calpernia has a huge parchment under her arm.
Calpernia: Oh yeah, that's what I wanted to talk to you about earlier dear!  Hey check this out you guys!
Calpernia rolls out a table size map of some area in the Badlands.
Whew, thank God.  I thought I was going to have to murder Dan.
Westman: Here we go.. . . . . .
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2013, 03:32:00 AM by Flawless Victory »

February 9th, 1988
On the TV:

Baucus:
We have seen the results of the first three years of Scott Westman!  And it has truly exceeded even my worst nightmares!  He has increased the scope of the Montana Government beyond anyone's wildest imagination!  He has instituted borderline socialism through his Land Values Taxes!  He has set forth the most radical restructuring of society in our history through the authoritarian and illegal Green Montana Act!  He has even gone as far as to defy the leaders of this country by refusing to abide by Congressional Law!  It is a shame that we have allowed him to get this far and drag the once honorable Montana Democratic Party with him.  This is a man who has voiced support for leftist extremism on every front, even going as far as supporting a nationalization of our public school system and pushing forth the largest salary increases for public union members in the history of our state!  I told you people it would be horrible, but not even I could see it would be this horrible!  It is our duty, as rational and fiscally responsible Republicans, to rebuke this trend and send this Governor back into retirement to his Flathead estate!
Moderate Response
Anchor: After receiving a mostly negative response after entering the Republican Primaries for the Gubernatorial race, former Democratic Senator Max Baucus seems to be getting a following as he goes on his statewide touring blasting the Westman Administration.  The Baucus campaign has proven to be a unique beast that has surprised even the staunchest critics.
Westman: Ha!  My ass!
Anchor: He hasn't as of yet made any major retraction on his views and policy votes while in the US Senate.  Instead, he has diverted the major media attention away from his Senate record and onto what he claims is the far leftism of the Westman Administration.  Looking to cast himself as a "sane moderate" who always has looked out for the interests of the mainstream Montanan, Baucus has made it plain to scores of Montana Republicans that while they might've had major disagreements in the past that sometimes they have to go with the "odd duck" to win.
Means: What bullsh*t.  Are people actually falling for this?
Herschelwitz: From the latest polls, surprisingly yes.
Westman: No F***ing way man!
Herschelwitz: Yes f***ing way, dude!  I mean, the opposition field is incredbly weak right now.  Word is that the Conservatives and Republicans are just opting to run a united field.  Especially after the collapse of Donegan.
Westman: That he was considered a rising star is more of a testament to the great failure that was the Conservative Party than anything.
Herschelwitz: However, there is very little challenge in the GOP field.  I mean the only other two challengers at the moment seem to be Mendelik and Bernard Flakes.
Westman: Hahaha, that explains it!  Mendelik is a total screw loose and Bernard Flakes.  . . . who the hell is he?!
Herschelwitz: I hate to say it, but with the support of Coulter and other Peters Republicans Baucus could very well be the next GOP nominee.
Westman: You hate to say it?  Hahahahah!  Let Baucus be the GOP nominee!  I will enjoy ending his political career once more!
Herschelwitz: You should be thanking yourself for this.  If you hadn't alienated Mendelik by sleeping with his wife as well as pushing the state party well to the left, I don't imagine Baucus would've been opportunistic to join in.  It seems that some part of your insane gambits played off in the end.
Westman has an evil laugh.
Westman: My ambition knows no bounds!  If Baucus or Mendelik wins this will be a very boring General Election season!  What do we know about Bernard Flakes?
Herschelwitz: Senate Minority Leader from Billings.  Childhood friend with Peter Rosseau.  A "libertarian" Republican.
Westman: Haha, he's going to need more than that to be challenging!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2013, 04:22:54 AM »

February 9th, 1988
Around 4:20 in the afternoon
Helena, Montana:

Governor Scott Westman was at the podium in front of one of the old historic buildings in the city center.  He was flanked by Carl Herschelwitz, his chief advisor and best friend, as well as Lieutenant Governor Russell Means.  He looked over at the assembled press and crew, and whoever else bothered to show up (about a dozen people or so) and began to talk.
Westman: Alright, look I know this isn't normal for me to just pull out a press conference, but I had to say something.
He looks over the crowd and notices Attorney General Helen Brisco immediately.  Damn it Helen!  Why are you here!?  I thought you had some pedophilia ring to work on or some Taimid drug smuggling to deal with!  He also notices some guy in a leather jacket with long black hair who was carrying what looked like a guitar case on his back.
Must be a roadie.  Probably on his break.  Good for him.
Westman: However, with recent events as they are I must comment on the lack of common decency an individual like Max Baucus has shown the political process.  Here is a man who, just four years earlier, ran on a campaign accusing me of being a far right winger.  ANd now suddenly I'm a socialist?  Hello Max, get your story straight!  Also, when the hell did Max Baucus of all people become an advocate of fiscal conservatism!?  Max Baucus signed more pork laden bills than any Senator in this state's history! He is the definition of fiscal irresponsibility!  My role in the SEnate, and now my administration here, is one of the most fiscally responsible in the history!  Every dollar has been accounted for!  Whether or not you like how it was done is beside the point, it was still done! So I will not be lectured by Max Baucus of all people about fiscal irresponsibility!  Anyway, second point-
That's when Westman noticed that the man in the roadie wear was walking up towards him.  Without even paying the slighted amount of attention to the police man to Westman's left he comes up to the podium.  Suddenly he starts grinning ear to ear and laughs before grabbing Westman's hand and shaking it with both hands.
Man: Oh nice to meet you Governor!  I always wanted to be able to shake your hand, man to man and tell you what a great inspiration you are to your people!
Suddenly Westman could tell there wasn't something right with this guy.
Westman: Okay thanks I guess?
It was then that Westman noticed that the cop next to him was now pointing his gun at the intruder.
Officer McCluskey: Alright there Donegal Boy!  You think that you can just roll in here and none of us would notice?  Walk right up to the Governor himself with all the balls in the world without any consequence!?
Suddenly a part of Westman regretted requesting minimum security at this event.
"Donegal Boy", as McCluskey referred to, turned around to face the officer.  But instead of begging for the officer to settle down, cooperating, or even resisting. . . . he laughed.
He laughed.
It was then that another cop walked up behind McCluskey.  Westman noticed the hand raising with the PPK in hand.
With a rising panic in his voice he yelled.
Westman: ROGER!  NO!
BOOM!
Next thing Westman knew McCluskey's head was blown to pieces as his body fell to the ground.
The other cop took off his hat to reveal a full head of brownish hair and took off his cop's shirt to reveal a black shirt with a fist through an gear circle grasping an AK-47 with the words Taimid Shaoran! In loud letters across the top of it.
F***in hell!
The other guy pulled over the guitar case on his back and opened it up to reveal an AK-47.  The two men stood on either side of Westman as the crowd started to panic.
"Donegal Boy" started to speak.
Ruari Ó Conaill: Brother!  It's truly an honor to speak to you!  I am Ruari Ó Conaill and this is my close friend Javier De Gamo!  We are followers of the most divine Taimid Sharoan!
Westman awakens from his horrified and shocked state.
Brother!  No brother of mine needlessly shed the blood of society's protectors!
Ó Conaill: Me and Javier here have been tasked with a most important duty.  And that is, before all the nations of the world, to come to you as equals!  As partners!  Out of all leaders of all nations of all peoples we have chosen you!  Why?  Because you are truly the only one who gets it!  You get the struggles, you get the pain, you get the grief of the lowly and oppressed masses of the world!  You, who have stood up to tyranny!  You who have stood up to mass wealth!  You are truly the blessed of all nations!
Westman had a laugh.
Ó Conaill: I know it's hard for you to comprehend and understand our madness and our methods.  But rest assured that today we don't come as killers or conquerors, but as your equal and devoted brothers.  We bring a message of peace and prosperity to you and our acknowledgement of your efforts in stemming the tide of western elitism and supremacy!  Now brother, take my hand and we will strike hands in a pledge!
Westman takes his hand and pulls him closely.
Westman: Dear brother,
Ó Conaill: Yes!  YES!
Crowd is shocked.
Westman: I would just like to say a few words to you, and to the world.
Westman turns towards the podium putting his mouth close to the mic.
Westman: In honor of your sudden appearance, Ruari, Javier, I dedicate this to the entirety of Taimid Sharoan!  And that dedication is F*** YOU!
Westman then turns to Ó Conaill and gives him the finger.
Westman: You bitches!
Ó Conaill lets go of his hand and then turns towards the mic, while addressing Westman.
Ó Conaill: I'll be honest I am not surprised.  Not one bit.  The Great Council warned us this would happen.  I must say that I truly do admire your warrior spirit Westman.  They told us you might cower like a little baby.  However, this is far far away from the cowardice we were taught to expect.  You have shown bravery in the line of fire and have faced certain death like  man.
Westman: Why don't you shoot me, you f***ing cowards!?
Ó Conaill: No, your death would be too much of a tragedy for the working man the world over.  However, since you have in your defiance marred our good name, and wished curses upon the almight Taimid Sharoan, I am forced to inflict a certain level of lasting injury on you.  I'm sorry, my brother.
Westman is looking at him, confused, when the man pushes Westman hard towards him.  Suddenly Westman feels a sort of surreal almost penetrating feeling in his ribcage.  He follows Ó Conaill's gaze and sees a small combat knife inserted into the lower part of what is probably his left lung.
And then he fell over to the ground into a world of blackness and the sound of gunfire and ambulances.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »

February 9th, 1988
Emergency Room

A young redheaded woman is seen running toward the emergency room.  She rushes into the room and runs towards the man in the bed, standing by his side and grabbing one of his hands.
Caroline Kennedy Westman hadn't seen her husband in months.  However, if this was going to be her last hours with him she might as well get some absolution or find solace with him.  She might never get another opportunity to.
She then observes, on the other side of Westman, a tall dark haired woman who defined classic beauty. She was dressed in jeans and a dark green sweater.  Caroline immediately recognized her as her predecessor: Calpernia Weils.
Well this is interesting.  Scotty's old time lover that almost got. . . . fixed.  In the Emergency Room?  Hmm interesting indeed.
The two women have awkward stares.  Caroline knew that Westman was intimate with Calpernia Weils rather religiously before and even during their initial courtship.  Weils had broken off the relationship, but kept coming back in like an unwelcome interloper to disrupt whatever minimum marital bliss the couple had gained.  And now this woman, if you could call her that, stood at his bedside. . . . holding his hand no less.  Defiantly staring down Caroline.
Calpernia never knew what Westman saw in Caroline.  She was obviously too elitist, too high strung, and too much of a well let's not use that word shall we?  Maybe it was just her youth, her red hair, and her name.  Calpernia could get red hair if she really wanted to, but she thought herself perfect as a natural dark haired woman.
The tv is on.
Anchor: The day after the Iowa Caucuses, which will live in infamy.
Calpernia laughs.
Calpernia: God, what an overused phrase.
Anchor: The Governor stood defiantly, unwavering as the man stuck a knife into his lung.  This just a day after O'Sullivan and Percy have both triumphed.  Westman, known for his devoutness to the anti-war movement and his anti-DAA stances, made a symbolic stand against the terrorists today.  For that he will for the rest of his life bare scars that all mothers should be proud of.  Surely, there are some people today who will be massively disappointed that patriots don't run.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »

February 10th, 1988
Emergency Room:

Ugh, what a horrible nightmare.
Westman wakes up feeling a very weird sensation in his rib.  He tries to get up when the searing pain soars through him.
Westman: AW DAMN IT!
It is then that he notices that his hand is being held by a dark haired woman next to him.
Calpernia.
Looking around the room, he notices that he has an IV in his arm and that there is a bandage on his rib.  It is then that he remembered everything.
Westman: Holy sh*t, I got stabbed, didn't I?
Cal nods.
Calpernia: Yeah, they were pretty brazen with it too.  Just walked up to you and stabbed you.  Security was a f***ing joke.
Westman: They obviously didn't plan on killing me, sadly.
Westman puts his hand on Cal's arm, lightly stroking it.
Westman: So, how're ya Cal?
It had been a trying few months for Calpernia Weils.  She had been in Denver, getting ready for a romantic evening with a certain gentleman.  It was in anticipation of the day that should've been the biggest moment of her life.  And she wanted one last day to spend with this gentleman who had loved her as much as a man could love a woman.
And then the Night Stalker happened.
He had come in out of nowhere and knocker her out.  She had gotten very lucky, as the maniac was too bloodlusted to think straight and went for the knife instead of shooting her in the head like he did everybody else.  Thankfully a cop showed up and stopped the man rather lethally, thus saving the courts and the people tons of money and time in the court room.
The DA, however, was not convinced.  There had been so inconclusive evidence left behind as well as indications that someone besides the police and the CSI teams had been there.  However, without any testimony from the police or Calpernia, that had led to a deadend.  Many believed that it was simply the housemaid that was in the room an hour before the incident, well before Calpernia or any other person would've been in there.
Calpernia: Well it's a little stressful.  However, I am now happier than I ever have been.  I'm in love.
Westman knew he shouldn't feel jealous, but at the same time he felt miffed.  In love?  How the hell can she be in love?  I mean. . . . how could she find a man who would see past her-
Westman: Well good.  I take it that your archaeological career is taking off?
Calpernia: Oh yes, just finished the tour of my third book: Archaeology Through the Ages.  Selling for $20
Westman: Holy lord almighty, how can you live with yourself?!
Calpernia: Hey this is material for serious people.  This isn't some damn joke book you can get at the local pervert shop.
Westman: I'll say!
Westman covertly moves his hand to Cal's buttock and then gives it a squeeze.
Westman: Umm, you feel as ripe as ever!  My heart may be weak, my lung may have blood, but Cal Weils you still give me a hardin!
She laughs while putting his hand away.
Calpernia: Charmed.  You should keep your hands more to yourself right now, naughty boy.
Westman feels the sting.
Westman: Cal, I'm in bed rest.  I just got stabbed.  Surely you had something more pleasant planned than just mild pleasantries.
Cal has an awkward laugh.
Calpernia: Same old Scott.
She sits closer to him on the edge of his bed, taking hold of his hand, interlocking her fingers.
Calpernia: Look, this isn't easy to say, but I found someone.  Someone else.
Westman: Okay. . . . and?
Calpernia looks shocked.
Calpernia: I expected more than that!
Westman: Look Cal, you and me we're friends.  We're buds.  We're not lovers.  We haven't been for years.
Calpernia: You were just goosing me and trying to talk me into giving you oral sex!  JUST FRIENDS!?
Westman: I sleep with a lot of my female friends.  Love has nothing to do with it.  Being a man with a heartbeat does.
Calpernia: UNBELIEVABLE SCOTT WESTMAN!  UNBELIEVABLE!
Westman: Woman!  You of all people should know that about me!  Why you act so shocked I don't have the mentality of a choir boy is beyond me.
Calpernia: I knew you had a very lax definition of a relationship, and I was perfectly fine with it!
Westman: So why is it that now, after all these years, it's suddenly a big deal when I don't voice alarm or surprise that you found a man?!
Cal looks at him weirdly.
Westman: It isn't a man?
She shakes her head.
Westman: Don't be absurd Calpernia Weils!  You're a Hoover?
She nods.
Westman: What the f***!  You're in love with a woman!?  What the-how does that make any sense!
Calpernia: You seemed perfectly understanding when you found out about me.  Even with my. . . features you still wanted a relationship.  You penetrated me, hundreds of times, even with the knowledge that I had the same plumbing as you.  Yet you seem not open at all to this idea that I am in love with a woman?
Westman laughs.
Westman: Oh my lord, this is too f***ing golden!  You, the little minx with the little twixie stick. . . .in love with a regular old microfiber carpet rug!  They should really feature you two on public access tv.  That would be quite a segment!
Calpernia: That would make sense except for one thing.
Westman: Haha, what!?
Calpernia looks him in the eyes with a look of total mockery.
Calpernia: I don't have a "twixie stick".
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »

Later:

Westman:
Oh it gets better Carl!  Apparently she doesn't even have a Dewey!  Yeah imagine that!  She spent all of these years on earth trying to become a woman. . . . only to become a carpet cleaner!  I know, what hilarious irony isn't it!
Calpernia: Asshole, you know I heard every word you said.
Westman puts hte phone down.
Westman: I'm serious, it makes no freaking sense Cal.  I mean really, what's wrong with you?
She sticks her tongue out at him.
Westman: When you decide you want to bat for the other team, please call me.
She gives him the finger.
Westman: Anyway Carl, doctors say that I should be out of here within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.  Yes I know I feel like sh*t.  Feels like there is a large burning sear through my chest where the knife point was.  Imagine what heartburn feels like and then times it by ten.  Yeah, that's what I'm feeling.  It sucks.
Carl: Okay that's great Scott.  Now, what about your schedule?
Westman: I'll make this real simple.  I get out in a weeks time, rest for three days, and then we go to Vermont.
There is an audible silence on the other end.
Carl: Vermont?  Why the hell would we go there?
Westman: Look Carl, Vermont holds the key to the future.  It is there that we will begin our Great Campaign.  The actions we take in the next few months will dictate the future course of the entire country.  And it will begin in ten days time when we embark on this historic New England tour.
Carl: You always had a knack for unorthodoxy, but during a re-election year?  And you want to spend all that time there?
Westman: Carl, there is no other region of the country where we have so much potential room for growth!  Democrats are a minority in Maine and Vermont, unlike here.  However, many of the residents find themselves in agreement with our basic principles and beliefs.  THerefore, I believe it is best that we make a case, a strong case backed up by strong political organization that outclasses all previous Democratic attempts, for a Democratic New England.
The other end of the phone sounds dead.  And then Westman hears it.
Carl: You.  Got.  To.  Be.  F***ing.  Kidding.  Me.
Westman sighed.
Westman: I know it's not easy.  It probably sounds like I'm shooting for the moon here Carl, and I can understand if you're reluctant to help out.  However, this is a step that I need to take.  As long as Major Derrick remains the Democratic Senator from Vermont, our party's brand in New England and other areas amendable to traditional Republicanism is in serious jeopardy.
Carl: Says the proud Hibernian Class Warrior.
Westman: I acknowledge that in the past it was hard for me to see beyond the stuffy airs of some of the Northeastern Republicans.  However, I am finding through my research that many of these Yankees are just like you, me, and a lot of other proud ethnic whites.  They worked by the sweat of their brow, made honest livings, and were cheated by Wall Street and other landed financial interests.  The national Republican Party has abandoned them and the national Democratic Party is making no attempt at them.  This leaves an opening for us that is only being matched by the local politicians like O'Connor and Coventry. . . . . who would make sympathetic allies for the time being.
Calpernia starts laughing.
Westman: Oh you too!  What is wrong with people today!?  They think they can cure cancer and GRIDS but not the Republican stranglehold on New England!  Ridiculous!
Carl: Do Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island no longer count as "New England"?
Westman: Well okay, Upper New England.  How about that?
Carl: Dude, seriously this is like the Republicans thinking they can dominate Mississippi or Kentucky politics: not gonna happen.
Westman: Just a little faith Carl.  Without this effort our electoral machine has no hope of coming to fruition.
Carl: Really?  Over three measly states that only make up ten electoral votes altogether who would go Republican for Mussolini?  How hard did you hit your head when you fell to the ground?  My advice is to ditch this nutso plan of yours, continue giving Layton a moderate degree of support, campaign for YOUR re-election, and then after you win your second term then concern yourself with establishing appeal in places that matter.  Like Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and of course California, which has about four times as many EVs as that Republican Haven does.
Westman: Look, I'm going to need your help.
Carl: Of course you will.  You always do.  You're a bit crazy in the head.
Westman: Alright, as you know Thad is running for Governor of Maine.  I want to dispatch you to his campaign.
THere is a hurt silence on the other end.
Carl: SCott, I've worked for you for over a decade now.
Westman: And I can respect that Carl.  You are one of the best managers in the nation.  Your enthusiasm and spirit made this governorship possible.  Which is why I believe you would be best utilized in Maine this coming election season.
Carl: Understood.
Westman: Look man, you're my best friend.  This isn't easy for me.
Westman hears what sounds like sniffling on the other end.
Westman: Carl, dude. . . .are you crying?
Carl: I know we've had our fights and everything, but you're like my brother.  Hell, you are my brother!
Westman: Carl, are you drunk?
Carl: It's just, I'll be months on end away from you, away from her. . . .. . .god I can't take it!
Uncontrollable sobbing on the other end.
Carl: I thought you were going to die!
Westman felt struck by what Carl said.  He wished more than anything that he could give Carl a hug and tell him everything was alright.  Now I'm just feeling really gay.
Westman looks across the room.  Cal was looking at him disinterestedly.
Well she showed up, that must mean something.
Westman: Christ dude, go get some sleep.  You sound depressed.
Westman hangs up the phone as the door opens.  In walks Caroline Westman.
Westman: Oh hey honey!
She walks over to him and the two share an oddly passionate kiss.
Caroline: Look, I came over with the papers and I intended to give them to you but I just . . . . .  I want this to work.
Westman knew what hollow words those were.  And he knew even if they were sincere that he had no intention of letting "this" work.  He had enough of Caroline and would've gladly put her out to pasture.  However, since this was an election year and she was going to give him at least another year's worth of marital sex (which is actually a lot better than detractors claim), he just nodded.
Westman: Well good.  Good.  You'll have to fight with Brea over the First Lady position though.
She smiles.
Caroline: No problem.  She'll know her place when I'm there.
You could only hope so, Westman thought.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:41 AM »

I'm still reading, man. Keep it up cause I'm enjoying this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 12:45:57 PM by Flawless Victory »

Thanks man.

I've learned a long time ago that a lack of comments isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Many people are busy or don't feel the need to post their approval.  But thanks anyway.

I'll be honest though, I really wish there was more criticism.  I know I have a tendency to put down criticism at first, but trust me that it really does help when readers are like "this thing right here IT SUCKS!"  If you are reading this and something jumps out at you like "hey man what the f***!?" please comment.  I admit that English and Composition weren't my best subjects in school and that, given the way this is written, a lot of actions and events seem very sudden.  If you got some pointers I missed while asleep in the AP Comp class I got a 69.8% in, please I beg of you readers, please provide!

I'm on a new creative high right now that has been mostly curtailed by work. If I somehow become less of a workaholic, I should be able to get a number of things done.

This was a lot easier when I was laid off, lol.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »

I'll be honest though, I really wish there was more criticism. 

I wanted to offer on some occasions, but I doubt you'd actually welcome.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »

Thanks man.

I've learned a long time ago that a lack of comments isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Many people are busy or don't feel the need to post their approval.  But thanks anyway.

I'll be honest though, I really wish there was more criticism.  I know I have a tendency to put down criticism at first, but trust me that it really does help when readers are like "this thing right here IT SUCKS!"  If you are reading this and something jumps out at you like "hey man what the f***!?" please comment.  I admit that English and Composition weren't my best subjects in school and that, given the way this is written, a lot of actions and events seem very sudden.  If you got some pointers I missed while asleep in the AP Comp class I got a 69.8% in, please I beg of you readers, please provide!

I'm on a new creative high right now that has been mostly curtailed by work. If I somehow become less of a workaholic, I should be able to get a number of things done.

Well, the only one thing I can think to offer is that generally, I prefer your narrative work more than reading about what's going on through dialogue, but then that's just my own preference and why I hardly do entire entries of dialogue in mine.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »

Thanks man.

Well, the only one thing I can think to offer is that generally, I prefer your narrative work more than reading about what's going on through dialogue, but then that's just my own preference and why I hardly do entire entries of dialogue in mine.

Well I'll try to do some more news entries and overall primary posts in the future.  Focus more on electoral stuff if you will.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »

Thanks man.

Well I'll try to do some more news entries and overall primary posts in the future.  Focus more on electoral stuff if you will.

That's just the stuff I love to see. Make no mistake, I still really love this work.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »

The New Hampshire Democratic Primary 1988:

Fresh off of his victory in Iowa, the O'Sullivan train roared right on through New Hampshire.  With his strong civil libertarian streak and pragmatic appeal, as well as his base in nearby Massachusetts, O'Sullivan was able to crush the lackluster (and unpopular) Moynihan machine in the Granite state while also further taking away Udall's standing as the anti-DAA candidate by painting him as a senile old man.  While many pundits expected an O'Sullivan victory, many were shocked by the margin of victory the insurgent wild card had pulled off, winning over a majority of the Primary voters in a three way contest.

Robert O'Sullivan (D-Massachusetts) 52.28%
Daniel Moynihan (D-New York) 29.02%
Mo Udall (D-Arizona) 18%
Other: .7%

The Republican New Hampshire Primary 1988:

The Republican Primary was a more divided affair, with neither Keating or Percy having a clear advantage in fundraising or locality.  While New Hampshire is a state that is noted for it's strong libertarian sympathies, that wasn't enough by itself to guarantee a Percy majority.  While Keating's brand of law and order conservatism wasn't exactly the kind of conservatism many in the region were used to, he was able to get a leg up on Percy thanks to the pro-law and order leanings of the Northeastern Media Establishment.  For weeks Keating delegates and campaigners would blast the state with ads, flyers, banners, tv spots, etc in the hopes that they could pull off an unlikely victory.  With campaign costs exceeding three million dollars, many thought the Oklahoma Senator's efforts extravagant for a small New England state.  Keating and his crew stood by the campaign, however, noting that a victory in New Hampshire would be a "moral victory" against the "surrender fanaticism of Percy."
Former Vice President George Bush, hoping to strike a chord with the laid back nature of many New Hampshirites, downplayed the law and order debates and the union issues by calling for a "great reuniting of the American people."  However, his message once again fell on deaf ears as many of his former supporters were now coalescing around Keating.
Percy and crew felt confident that they would ultimately prevail over Keating and his campaign machine.  After all, New England was overwhelmingly favorable to moderate Republicanism and was naturally suspicious of the usual conservatism of types like Keating.
That was, however, before the infamous "Helena" commercial, which linked Percy's staunch civil libertarian and policies towards unions as being one in the same with Montana Governor Scott Westman, whose name was already associated with the radicalism of the American far left.  The ad, which showed clips of Governor Percy shaking hands with Governor Westman (the real life context being a meeting of the National Association of American Governors in November of 1987 to discuss alertness of the State Guards) with comparisons between Percy's presidential platform and the "radical" reforms of the Westman administration in Montana.
The effects of the ad, while it did benefit Keating, would be very interesting.  In the rural areas there was actually a drift TOWARD Percy while in the urban areas the drift was toward Keating.  However in the end Keating would still pull of a stealer:

Francis Keating (R-Oklahoma) 43.78%
Robert Percy (R-Illinois) 43.27%
George HW Bush (R-Connecticut) 11.22%
Other: 1.73%
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »

February 12th, 1988
Hospital:

A news crew is standing nearby the wounded Montana Governor.  He is looking at them with a look between irritation and intrigue.
Reporter: Good evening.  Tonight I have the opportunity to interview the recovering Scott Westman.  Governor how're ya?
Westman looks at him like he's stupid.
Westman: How do you think?  I'm doing bad.  I got stabbed in the freakin rib!
The Reporter laughs nervously.
Reporter: Well okay!  Do you have any plans after you recover?
Westman: Oh yes, I do.  I'm going to sue the United States Government.
Reporter: Haha, very funny.
Westman: No I'm damn serious.  I'll sue them for violation of our constitutional rights to privacy and freedom of speech.  Did you even know what the Bill of Rights is?
Reporter: Oh right.  Well, are you sure I mean they kind of let thing go-
Westman: Well the f*** I didn't!  And I won't rest until justice is served!  The Defend America Act is one of the worst laws passed in the history of this nation!  And me and my crew will work around the clock to make sure it is overturned by the end of this year!
Reporter: Moving on!  ANything else?
Westman: Oh yes, I will also be touring New England.
Reporter: What!?
Westman: That's right f****t.  I'm touring New England to build support for my common allies in this battle.  I will try my damnedest to make sure that Jack Layton and Robert McGuinness are elected to the US Senate!  As well, I will go out of my way to drum up support for the cause, even if it means spending a month in New England to do so.
The Reporter looks at the camera perplexed.
Reporter: Back to you Susan.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »

February 13th, 1988
US House Floor

Speaker James Wingum (R-OH)Sad The House Floor recognizes the fellow from New Jersey.
US Congressman Jacob Goldstein (NJ) takes the stand.  Looking over the sea of congressmen, he never felt more confident in the time to strike.
I had lived all of my life for this moment, he thought.
Goldstein: As some of you may be aware, a few days ago extremist radicals were able to get within a few feet of a public figure while also easily dispatching of an officer of the public safety.  Whatever disagreements we may have had with the Governor from Montana we all must agree that his stabbing was tragic and wish him a speedy and healthy recovery!
Applause.
Goldstein: I commend the Governor on his immense bravery in the face of such evil and danger.  However we must recognize a few key facts here.  Number one is that such radicals wouldn'tve been able to get so close to the Governor if it weren't for the lack of protection on hand.  While Scott Westman has been opposed staunchly to the use of personal guards, for sentimental reasons, I think we all can agree that he would've been much better off if there were an armed guard nearby instead of some off duty policeman.  We need strong security details for ALL of our public figures, not just those who feel a little scared going to the grocery store!
Applause.
Goldstein: Second, and while I do recognize the beliefs of strong constitutionalists, we must realize what a great folly it is to continue to ignore the issue of gun violence in our society.  Radical extremists should't be able to murder people left and right with assault rifles and pistols with impunity!  When our Founders wrote the Constitution they guaranteed the right to firearms, what they didn't guarantee was an absolute right to weapons of mass death that can kill dozens of people with a single clip!
Louder applause.
Goldstein: They said it was going too far when Roger Kellman murdered five defenseless black schoolchildren in Philadelphia, Mississippi!  They said it was going too far when the Liam McCullough murdered an entire Italian eatery in April of 1972!  THey said it was going too far when our beloved late president Robert Kennedy was cut down in cold blood!  And now with radical marxists murdering people indiscriminately they still say it is going too far!
Raucous applause.
Goldstein: Ladies and gentlemen, there has never been a better time or a better place to act!  Benjamin Franklin once said that those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither, well may I dare counter what is liberty without security!?  That is why today I announce the most comprehensive anti-crime bill in this nation's history!  A crime bill which will take the fight to those who commit great evils and keep our families safe again!  Please, my fellow congressmen, put your petty ideological squabblings to the side for one day and cast a vote to save lives!
Later that week the Omnibus Crime Bill of 1988 would pass with over 60% approval in the House of Representatives.  It would go to the Senate just a few days later, where it would be very likely to pass/  The Bill would make it illegal for any American public figure to make "political speech" without an attachment of armed guards.  Also included was a ban on "assault weapons", a term so broad it could mean anything from an AK-47 to a Lever Action Rifle.
Most Americans approve of the act.  However, a few would loudly protest. . . . .
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

This just in.  Bayside High School Student Government President Jessie Spano has been arrested for violating the Omnibus Crime Act of 1988 by speaking without armed guards at a pep rally yesterday.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »

Senator Darkwater's Office:

Darkwater:
DAMN IT!  Are you kidding me?
Representative Ron Johnson (D-WA) solemnly nods.
Johnson: Yes it was an overwhelming majority.
Darkwater: Do you have any idea what kind of hell I am going to hear from the Governor when he recovers?
Johnson: He shares with you his personal thoughts?  What is he, your father?
Darkwater: No, he's way too young to be my father.  More like a young uncle or something.  Anyway, he is coming up the New England way in a few days.  He's really pouring himself into the Senate race in Vermont.
Johnson shrugs.
Johnson: Not sure why he's so involved in that.  We got races in New York and California that could definitely use the right kind of Democrat.
Darkwater: Tell me about it.  He's under this wonderful fantasy that someday he will be able to get Yankee Republicans to vote Democratic.
Johnson laughs.
Darkwater: Though I don't know what he is getting all excited about, getting stabbed and everything.  Surely the most recent legislation will put a dent into his plan-
Phone rings.
Darkwater: Right on cue.
Darkwater picks up the phone.
Darkwater: Hello.
Westman: Listen, you son of a bitch!  THe passage of that "bill" through the House of Representatives was a total joke.  It should have never happened!
Darkwater: Scott, the public is totally for it, there is little we can do.  It passed the House with a 65% majority and the public seems to be all for it!
Westman: Well sure there has to be some sort of loophole or something you can exploit!  All these laws have something in common: a nefarious implication in the law!
Johnson who was looking at the text gives Darkwater a signal.  Darkwater puts the phone on his shoulder.
Johnson: I noticed earlier that the law states that no form of political speech could be made without armed guards.
Darkwater: Yeah, so what?
Johnson: Well. . . . . . .  the way it's worded it could be interpreted to mean anything from a presidential campaign to a student running for high school class president!
Darkwater looks like he just dropped a brick.
Darkwater: Alright!  That makes sense!  THis is even too fascist for many of the Moynihan Brigade!  What about the gun thing though?
Johnson shrugs.
Johnson: Second Amendment?
Darkwater looks irritated.
Darkwater: Seriously?  That's the best you got?
Johnson: Yep.
Darkwater gets back on the phone.
Darkwater: Scott, I got a plan!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »

Back in the office

Darkwater:
And that's the game!
He hears a disinterested yawn on the other end.
Westman: Okay, seriously dude?
Darkwater looks miffed.
Darkwater: Yeah that's it!  WE can nail them down on the Kessenbaum ruling!
Westman: YOu are aware that there's a difference between gun classes, right?
Darkwater: Yeah!  So!?
Westman: Kessenbaum vs. New Jersey was a very basic law that defended a man's right to own a heavy duty hunting rifle Killian, not a f***ing M-16!  Are you completely f***ing stupid?  Are you!  Huh!  Huh!  Huh!
Darkwater: While also establishing a clear injunction against taxable ammunition, which many assault weapons have!
Westman: Look mang, I know that you haven't had a lot of time to learn about gun laws or rulings, but that was declared null and void in 1983 duh to what some idiot NRA lobbyists thought was a clear threat on gun ownership and a greedy attempt by the government to get more taxes from a large population group.  Seriously, where do you get your research?
Darkwater looked at the law book he had open and noticed the year 1979.
Darkwater: Okay, that doesn't work either!
Westman: I know you don't want to hear this mate, but there is only one solution to this current stalemate.  And that solution is filibuster.
Darkwater looks shocked.
Darkwater: What?
Westman: I know it sounds kind of crazy, but-
Darkwater: Scott it's been over five years since you've been here!  Senate is so establishmentarian that a filibuster is more likely to irritate Senators to vote in the opposition out of spite than to support our views!
Westman: If we go by your approach, the "haha nada nah nah you can't pass this there is an outdated ruling saying you can't!" our side will look like laughingstocks and dweebs.  If you filibuster, something that hasn't been done for well too long, you will give us something that the other side severely lacks.
Darkwater: Oh and what is that?
He hears what sounds like a chuckle.
Westman: Passion, my dear Killian.
Phone line dies.
Darkwater: Good lord, why does he always choose to be so overly dramatic with his conversation closers!?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2014, 12:23:58 AM by Flawless Victory »

February 18th, 1988
Hospital Room:

Westman looked over to the side as his daughter Brea Westman, the official First Lady (a role which she took sometime in December of 1987), was laying her head on his arm.  A photographer was nearby and took the photo of the Governor with the First Lady affectionately laying against him.
Westman, on a whim, started petting her hair as she sighed contentedly.
Brea: These have been the scariest days of my life, dad.
Westman: You think it's scary for you?  Imagine what it's been like for me!  First I get stabbed, and then my eldest child decides decides to camp out here all the time?!  Woman, you don't know scared!  Serious Brea, next time I get shot or stabbed, go into hiding with about two dozen armed guards.  This is no time for you to be putting yourself at risk.
Brea: Did you think I would just sit back there and watch as they wheeled you away?  Do you think I have no feelings at all?  What if that was the last time I ever saw you?
Westman has a laugh, before groaning in pain.
Westman: No of course not, how foolish am I?  Know that out of all the women in the world, my heart will always belong to you first, my dear child.
Brea gives him a loving mew.
Brea: Of course I know that!  What kind of dumb girl would I be to believe otherwise?!
Westman: Enough sweet talk dear, tell me about the itinerary.
Brea pulls back from his arms, and glazes at him.
Brea: Come on dad, you got stabbed a few days ago!
Westman: Yes, I got stabbed, in the ribs.  Not ran over by a car.  I can still walk and talk, I just need to avoid sudden movements and actions.
Brea: Unfreakinglievable!  That's all you ever think about!  Appearing everywhere and being the big shot!  Having to prove yourself a big man!
Westman: Relax Brea, I want you to come with me.
Brea: Well what about Caroline?
Westman chuckles.
Westman: Hell no!  I can't stand to be around her that long!
Brea smiles.
Westman: Yeah see!  This will be fun after all!
Brea: As fun as that may be, what is the point of all of this?
Westman: My goodness, you too!  Brea, you have failed me! Isn't it obvious?  Have you even read polls lately?
Brea: Look, all I know is that Vermont and Maine are more Republican than yacht clubs.  I may not be the most astute when it comes to political history and trends, but I thought you of all people would know.
The door opens as Calpernia comes back in.
Calperia: What you forgot to mention, sweetie, is that your dad is no ordinary Democrat.  Many Vermonters and Mainers oppose police state ideals and the anti-civil liberty state that currently exists.  Your father is the perfect man to appeal to them.
Westman hoots.
Westman: Well spoke Cal!  That's enough to make me hot!
Calpernia huffs.
Calpernia: After all these years you've known me, you still think I'm nothing more than another pretty face.
Westman pats a spot on the side of the bed.
Westman: Come here woman and I'll convince you to rejoin the light side of the force!
Cal laughs again.
Calpernia: Not so sure you'd be as inclined as before, big man.
She gives a devious wink.
Brea looks disgusted.
Brea: Oh my god guys, I am right here!  Do you mind!
Calpernia: Seriously Brea?  How old are ya?  Everyone has sex, especially your father!  Is this so shocking to you?
Westman involuntarily laughs, before groaning again.
Westman: Damn it woman, you will be the death of me.
Cal smiles
Calpernia: That's the plan.  I know all about that will you wrote up.
Westman: Oh you did, did you?
Calpernia: Yes, I get your Deep Purple collection.  Sweet deal man!
Westman looks at her slackjawed.
Westman: You mean you actually looked at it?
Calpernia reaches into the snack bag she has in her hands and starts eating some grapes.
Calpernia: Oh yeah!  Definitely!  And I"m not at all surprised you haven't changed it after all these years.
Westman: But wait, how did you?
Calpernia: You forget that I'm an archaeologist.  Digging dirt is my specialty.
Wink.
Westman: Damn you woman.  Damn you!
Calpernia: Hey it's not my fault that in post coitus you wearily said your safe password.
Westman: What?  Why?
Calpernia: Because I asked while you were plastered, naturally.  Jeez Scott, if we're ever in a war all they would need is some hot dame spy to find out everything.  You are the worst secret keeper in the world.
Westman: So wait, if you knew my safe code. . . does that mean that-
Calpernia: Oh yes, I took some money out.
Westman: What!?
Calpernia: Oh nothing excessive, just about $45,000.
Westman: ARE YOU F8**ING MAD!
Westman groans loudly in pain.
Calpernia: Oh come on Scott, it's not like you don't have millions!
Westman: Bitch you stole my money!
Cal walks over to him and slaps him, HARD, in the face.
Calpernia: You don't say that to women you know.  How disrespectful!
Westman looks irate.
Westman: Disrespectful?  You took my money without asking!  And bought stuff with it!  That's stealing!
Calpernia lights up a cigarette.
Calpernia: Oh please, spare me your ethics Captain Do-Right.  For what you were getting out of me, $45,000 was a deal.
Westman: Good lord no.  I spent a lot more than that on you.
Cal smiles again.
Calpernia: Damn right you did, and I was worth every penny.
A doctor walks into the room.
Doctor: Hey!
Cal turns to him.
Doctor: Can't you f***ing read?
He points to a sign that says "No Smoking".
She turns to a nearby ashtray and puts it out.
Calpernia: Damn fascists, taking the fun out of everything.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies