What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:07:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: What should be done (read article below) ?
Turn it into a memorial

Turn it into apartments

Tear this 500-year old house down and create something else (please post)

Let this 500-year old house stand and create something else (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ?  (Read 8211 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »

Renovate the house into a holocaust museum.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

Tear it down completely, and build a holocaust memorial museum in its place. 

There's too many of those.

Well, an exhibition about how the people from Braunau and surroundings reacted to the fact "their son" had become the leader of Germany, what happened after 1938, when Austria became part of Germany, and how they dealt with it after 1945, might actually be interesting and out of the usual.
Otherwise, I agree - holocaust memorials should be where the crimes were committed (concentration camps, collection places, etc.), not at one of the criminal's birthplace (of which there are quite a few more across Germany and Austria).

"We are already stigmatized," Johannes Waidbacher told the Austrian daily Der Standard. "We, as the town of Braunau, are not ready to assume responsibility for the outbreak of World War II."
But a bit of self-reflection might be appropriate. I am pretty sure the town of Braunau acted less restrained between 1933 and 1945.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »

Tear it down completely, and build a holocaust memorial museum in its place. 

There's too many of those.

Well, an exhibition about how the people from Braunau and surroundings reacted to the fact "their son" had become the leader of Germany, what happened after 1938, when Austria became part of Germany, and how they dealt with it after 1945, might actually be interesting and out of the usual.
Otherwise, I agree - holocaust memorials should be where the crimes were committed (concentration camps, collection places, etc.), not at one of the criminal's birthplace (of which there are quite a few more across Germany and Austria).

So there will be one more empty museum.

"We are already stigmatized," Johannes Waidbacher told the Austrian daily Der Standard. "We, as the town of Braunau, are not ready to assume responsibility for the outbreak of World War II."
But a bit of self-reflection might be appropriate. I am pretty sure the town of Braunau acted less restrained between 1933 and 1945.

Seeing that Hitler and the Nazis only came to power in Austria in 1938, I don't think the periode of 1933-38 is really relevant, and as only a few living people was adult or even alive at the time, I don't think much self reflection is really necessary.

P1: You should reflect over what you did in 1938-1945.
P2: Well at the time my Opa and my Oma was going in school together, so what is it really I should reflect over?
P1: you have inherited a collective guilt over your ancestors action at the time.
P2: ....okaaaay... that's a interesting perspective (move away as in a fast walk).
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »

Seeing that Hitler and the Nazis only came to power in Austria in 1938, I don't think the periode of 1933-38 is really relevant, and as only a few living people was adult or even alive at the time, I don't think much self reflection is really necessary.

P1: You should reflect over what you did in 1938-1945.
P2: Well at the time my Opa and my Oma was going in school together, so what is it really I should reflect over?
P1: you have inherited a collective guilt over your ancestors action at the time.
P2: ....okaaaay... that's a interesting perspective (move away as in a fast walk).

I am not talking about collective guilt here. But people in Braunau might ask themselves why it took only a few days after the "Anschluss" to make Hitler an "Ehrenbürger" (honorary citizen), but until 2011 to officially revoke that decision.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2013, 02:59:16 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Turn it into a memorial to the millions of people, Jews and non-Jews, that he was responsible for killing, so that people never forget that the man born in that house was one of the most abhorrent and evil dictators in human history.  But keep the house standing as well.

I voted Option 1 by mistake.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2019, 12:35:18 PM »

Turns out it will be option 4:

The building where Nazi leader Adolf Hitler was born in Austria will be turned into a police station, officials have announced.

Interior Minister Wolfgang Peschorn said it would be an "unmistakable signal" that the property did not commemorate Nazism.

Hitler spent the first few weeks of his life in a flat in the 17th-Century building in the town of Braunau am Inn.

The fate of the property has been the subject of a lengthy dispute.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50482019
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »

Turns out it will be option 4:

The building where Nazi leader Adolf Hitler was born in Austria will be turned into a police station, officials have announced.

Interior Minister Wolfgang Peschorn said it would be an "unmistakable signal" that the property did not commemorate Nazism.

Hitler spent the first few weeks of his life in a flat in the 17th-Century building in the town of Braunau am Inn.

The fate of the property has been the subject of a lengthy dispute.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50482019

I'd give the house to George Soros, just to drive certain people mad.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »

Turn it into a memorial to the millions of people, Jews and non-Jews, that he was responsible for killing, so that people never forget that the man born in that house was one of the most abhorrent and evil dictators in human history.  But keep the house standing as well.

This don't forget non-jewish victims either. I had relatives who weren't jewish who died, and they are just as important as anyone else!
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

Well regardless of what they've decided to do with it, I'm just glad that a 500 year old house still standing won't be demolished. There's only so many of those left!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2019, 12:47:51 AM »

This don't forget non-jewish victims either. I had relatives who weren't jewish who died, and they are just as important as anyone else!
?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 03:38:34 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2019, 04:50:50 AM by Bagel23 »

Turn it into a memorial to the millions of people, Jews and non-Jews, that he was responsible for killing, so that people never forget that the man born in that house was one of the most abhorrent and evil dictators in human history.  But keep the house standing as well.

?

What I mean is I agree, we need to make a memorial for Hitler's victims there, but make it about all his victims, not just about Anti-semitism like some in this thread have proposed. My relatives were not Jewish who died at his hands are just as important as that or them too, and non jewish victims should be recognized in said proposed memorial too. One thing that still sticks with me to this day is I went to the Holocaust museum in DC, and the tour guide asked the group can anyone tell me another victim group besides jewish people. And I answered non jewish slavs, and he just flat out said no, which is utter bs since I would be viewed as inferior subhuman trash by nazis. There isnt some massive primary victim group that dwarves the rest. They were about half of the holocaust victims and the largest single victim group of the holocaust and the most hated by the nazis, and a smaller share of the overall casualty count where there were more populous groups who fell victim if including that broader tally. But yeah all the victims deserve recognition under such a proposed memorial. Not just one group like some have proposed in here. No one group is more important than the other, especially when there were other groups who were similar in casualty count, goal of ending them, and level of brutality dealt by Nazis to them. Like for instance don't be forgetting the Romani people too, especially considering their current status.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 06:30:25 AM »

holy crap man, just admit you missed that bit Smiley
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »

holy crap man, just admit you missed that bit Smiley

I am not sure I get what you are saying
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »

FINALLY !

Austria unveils new design for Hitler's birthplace

The Austrian government revealed the winning plan to redesign Adolf Hitler's birth house on Tuesday, with the yellow building set to become a police station.

The move follows decades of debate over what to do with the building in the northern Austrian town of Braunau am Inn where Hitler was born in April 1889 and spent the first months of his life.

"A new chapter will be opened for the future from the birth house of a dictator and mass murderer," Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said at a press conference.

"It is the most appropriate use [for the building]. Why? The police are the protector of fundamental rights and freedoms," Nehammer said.

https://www.dw.com/en/austria-unveils-new-design-for-hitlers-birthplace/a-53660920
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2020, 02:02:07 AM »

Tear it down and build a synagogue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »

A museum would be more appropriate.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:44 AM »

Lots of white nationalists would come on vacation from America to visit that museum. Probably several white nationalists per week on average, forever. That would be "more appropriate" ?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »

Lots of white nationalists would come on vacation from America to visit that museum. Probably several white nationalists per week on average, forever. That would be "more appropriate" ?
Who cares?  If they turned it into a synagogue it’d just become a target.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2020, 07:19:32 AM »

I posted above that the house will become a police station, after rebuilding is complete in 2-3 years.

Good luck to the Neo-Nazis who are on a pilgrimage to the Hitler house and then suddenly bump into a police station ... Tongue
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »

They could build it out of stone so it can't catch fire. German jews aren't going to stop building synagogues and attending them out of fear of nazis in 2020.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »

Honestly, give ownership to the KPD or Die Linke for the memes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »

They could build it out of stone so it can't catch fire. German jews aren't going to stop building synagogues and attending them out of fear of nazis in 2020.
But I thought Nazis were everywhere! I thought that it was Nazis who stated the riots! Now they're suddenly back in the ash heap of history? You guys are giving me whiplash.

But seriously, Jews don't have a monopoly on the Holacaust. Disabled children (including those like my own brother) were euthanized. Roma were persecuted. You only want it built because you saw that Quinton Tarantino movie. I doubt it'd be the most comfortable place for Jewish people anyway, considering the history.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »

Turn it into a gay club, to trigger the alt right.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »

But I thought Nazis were everywhere! I thought that it was Nazis who stated the riots! Now they're suddenly back in the ash heap of history? You guys are giving me whiplash.

But seriously, Jews don't have a monopoly on the Holacaust. Disabled children (including those like my own brother) were euthanized. Roma were persecuted. You only want it built because you saw that Quinton Tarantino movie. I doubt it'd be the most comfortable place for Jewish people anyway, considering the history.
Nazis ARE everywhere, not always in big numbers though. That doesn't mean you live in fear of them and decide where to "be jewish" and "how jewish" based on that fact. Build the synagogue and take some security measures and then move on with your lives. If a nazi attacks, a nazi attacks.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2020, 06:06:03 AM »

Turn it into a gay club, to trigger the alt right.

Aren't quite a few of them in the closet though Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies