Greatest landslide (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:55:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Greatest landslide (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you consider the greatest landslide?
1936 - FDR

1964 - LBJ

1972 - Nixon

1984 - Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Greatest landslide  (Read 6132 times)
Notre Dame rules!

« on: February 02, 2005, 11:20:01 PM »

I voted for Reagan's '84 landslide, of course.  However, that's because it a victory that is still fresh in my memory, since it was the first Presidential election I was old enough to vote in.  I only directly remember Nixon's landslide through Schoolhouse Rock!

While Ragan ranked 4th in popular vote percentage, that must be balanced by recognizing the part the media played in influencing the outcomes of past elections.

The media was very pro-Roosevelt, especially during the Great Depression, and probably rightly so.  That was no doubt very helpful to him in a time when nearly everyone relied on radio and print for virtually all their information.

Johnson rides in on the coat-tails of a martyred President, whom the media also loved, and continues to do so to this very day.

Nixon tapped into that whole "Silent Majority" thing and that rolled him on to a landslide victory.  It didn't hurt that he promised to get us out of Johnson's war in Vietnam, while saying he wouldn't cut and run. 

Reagan, on the other hand, was despised by the media, but the people loved him in spite of his negative press.  Given that the new media wasn't around then, Reagan's victory is most impressive.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:06:47 PM »

Sen Gabu,

The maps are great, but your conclusion is ridiculous. 

The vote totals and the electoral vote totals don't lie.  Reeagn's victory was phenomenal. 

Your efort to shift 10% here and there reminds me of a  recent comment by John Kerry.  He told Tim Russert that he won the youth vote, won the Catholic vote, won the single women vote, and on and on.  Yet when you look at the results, he still lost the lection by 3 million votes. 

However, I will entertain the notion that the other landslide were more dramatic if you can supply the party identification numbers for the elections in question.  It isn't too impressive of a landslid if you only carried your own voters.  However, if you carried a rge majority of the independents and a significant minority of the other party, then I'll xonsider that an impressive landslide.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 09:09:51 PM »

yikes!  please forgive the spelling errors in my last post.  I have to get up at 4:30 every morning, so late night posting lends to poor spelling.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »

Yeah, but if it's getting so late that I can'spell any better than that, it's not likely that I'll be able to concentrate on spellchecking either.  I should probably go to bed sooner.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 07:22:52 PM »

Goldwater had a very hard row to hoe.  He was trying to unseat the VP of a martyred President, and was painted as an extremist.  That's a pretty tough combination to overcome, especially at that time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies