NC-Civitas: Obama by 4 now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:49:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  NC-Civitas: Obama by 4 now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC-Civitas: Obama by 4 now  (Read 1543 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »

Civitas Poll of 600 likely North Carolina voters was taken Sept. 18-19:

49%    Total Obama/ Biden
45%    Total Romney/ Ryan

47%    Total Obama/ Biden
43%    Total Romney/ Ryan
  4%    Total Johnson/ Gray

Previous poll was 53-43 Romney, so this is a 14-point movement towards Obama ... Smiley

http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/civitas-poll-obama-biden-lead-gop-ticket
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

Ouch.

Dalton is still probably down though....
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

Damn.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »

It seems that right now there is a greater chance that Obama wins North Carolina than Romney winning Ohio.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »

Romney's support is softer than Obama's too:

43%    Total Romney/ Ryan
47%    Total Obama/ Biden
4%      Total Johnson/ Gray

36%     Definitely Romney
6%       Probably Romney
1%       Lean Romney   2%       Definitely Johnson
1%       Probably Johnson
1%       Lean Johnson
43%     Definitely Obama
3%       Probably Obama
1%       Lean Obama   4%       Hard undecided
–         Other
2%       Refused
Craigo
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »

Obama'a numbers in both polls are still within the margin of error, though just barely. The Romney collapse was over twice the margin. Obama pulling 47% is like the electorate winking at us.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

He's down by 13 according to Rasmussen.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »

The interesting thing about NC is how early most of the state votes.  If the race closes in the final weeks, it actually raises the possibility that Obama wins NC on account of the early vote while losing other swing states that traditionally lean more to the left.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »

The interesting thing about NC is how early most of the state votes.  If the race closes in the final weeks, it actually raises the possibility that Obama wins NC on account of the early vote while losing other swing states that traditionally lean more to the left.

Is the early vote really that D-leaning in a state like NC?  Given that early voting will be overwhelmingly white... Romney should win the white vote in NC handily.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »

Previous poll was 53-43 Romney, so this is a 14-point movement towards Obama ... Smiley

That poll was by Survey USA on behalf of Civitas so may not be directly comparable with this one.

It also had weird Survey USA crosstabs including Romney getting 30% of African Americans.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »

The interesting thing about NC is how early most of the state votes.  If the race closes in the final weeks, it actually raises the possibility that Obama wins NC on account of the early vote while losing other swing states that traditionally lean more to the left.

Is the early vote really that D-leaning in a state like NC?  Given that early voting will be overwhelmingly white... Romney should win the white vote in NC handily.
The whites early vote 35% for Obama before Romney wins the debates, as opposed to 25% on the election day, and the blacks show up on the election day to seal the deal even if Obama loses other swing states.

I also wonder if GA would be tied right now.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

This election looks more and more over every day.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

The interesting thing about NC is how early most of the state votes.  If the race closes in the final weeks, it actually raises the possibility that Obama wins NC on account of the early vote while losing other swing states that traditionally lean more to the left.

Is the early vote really that D-leaning in a state like NC?  Given that early voting will be overwhelmingly white... Romney should win the white vote in NC handily.
The whites early vote 35% for Obama before Romney wins the debates, as opposed to 25% on the election day, and the blacks show up on the election day to seal the deal even if Obama loses other swing states.

Probably within the margin of error, like Tennessee, Indiana and Arizona.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »

Hey Mondale, let's make an agreement, a bargain of sorts. If your guy wins the election, there is traditionally a period of gloating that follows such. You're not allowed to do that unless Obama breaks 48% in Tennessee, okay?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »

How much did Bush win NC by in 2004? About 12 points? Demographic changes and all I know, but still quite remarkably appalling for Romney.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 04:14:25 PM by MilesC56 »

Yes, when I make my precinct-level maps, I always notice how much the early vote helps Democrats.

Obama got 56% of the early/absentee votes.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »

Hey Mondale, let's make an agreement, a bargain of sorts. If your guy wins the election, there is traditionally a period of gloating that follows such. You're not allowed to do that unless Obama breaks 48% in Tennessee, okay?

What's the trade-off? If he does, you stop being an a**hole?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

Got it - masterfully explained.

Yes, when I make my precinct-level maps, I always notice how much the early vote helps Democrats.

You mean nationally?  Or in North Carolina.  I'm just saying in these southern states the early voting skews white - I understand seatown's point about early voting putting him over the top even if he loses whites less-badly in early voting than on election day - I'm just saying that it is hard to believe he would actually get a majority of early voting in a southern state, where most early voting is white, and most whites vote R.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

What's the trade-off? If he does, you stop being an a**hole?

I believe the traditional phrase involves consumption of a head covering.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »

You mean nationally?  Or in North Carolina.  I'm just saying in these southern states the early voting skews white - I understand seatown's point about early voting putting him over the top even if he loses whites less-badly in early voting than on election day - I'm just saying that it is hard to believe he would actually get a majority of early voting in a southern state, where most early voting is white, and most whites vote R.

Yes, I was just talking about NC.

For instance, here's Wake County without absentee/early votes:

And here it is with all the votes represented:
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies