Inaugural Speech

<< < (3/4) > >>

freedomburns:
I'll admit that I heard none of this speech, but I saw how he used the word "freedom" 27 times and the word "liberty" 18 times.

One man's freedom is another man's terror.  One man’s liberty is another man’s oppression.  I cannot cotton with this cowboy’s vision of what is right for the world.  I guess you have to admire his big cajones, but he is so wrong to think that he knows enough to know that the consequences of his policies will be net good and positive.  I think we are headed in the WRONG direction.  Things are going to get worse and worse, and I know who to blame for this.

fb 

Jake:
Quote from: freedomburns on January 28, 2005, 09:26:23 PM

I'll admit that I heard none of this speech, but I saw how he used the word "freedom" 27 times and the word "liberty" 18 times.

One man's freedom is another man's terror.  One man’s liberty is another man’s oppression.  I cannot cotton with this cowboy’s vision of what is right for the world.  I guess you have to admire his big cajones, but he is so wrong to think that he knows enough to know that the consequences of his policies will be net good and positive.  I think we are headed in the WRONG direction.  Things are going to get worse and worse, and I know who to blame for this.

fb 

Hey, freedomburns is back.  Rooting for the terrorists this weekend?

A18:
Quote from: Senator Nym90 on January 28, 2005, 08:19:34 PM

I never said that we have never exported democracy, but the list of dictatorships that we don't care about or even in some cases give aid and comfort to is a lot longer than the list above.

You said, and I quote, "so while the idea of America being an exporter of democracy to the world is a good one ... [it is not] anything more than empty rhetoric."

Well, we've been exporting democracy. We are exporting democracy. The fact that we don't export something to every country, which is a blatantly idiotic idea, does not mean we don't export it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Corporations are not motivated. People are motivated. Some people are motivated by profit more than others.

None of this is relevant. Willing exchanges made with full information always favor both parties, and that isn't terribly difficult to figure out.

In order to become a monopoly, you have to satisfy virtually every part of the market's needs. That's not natural, but it is definitely good for consumers.

Nym90:
Quote from: Philip on January 28, 2005, 09:59:22 PM

Quote from: Senator Nym90 on January 28, 2005, 08:19:34 PM

I never said that we have never exported democracy, but the list of dictatorships that we don't care about or even in some cases give aid and comfort to is a lot longer than the list above.

You said, and I quote, "so while the idea of America being an exporter of democracy to the world is a good one ... [it is not] anything more than empty rhetoric."

Well, we've been exporting democracy. We are exporting democracy. The fact that we don't export something to every country, which is a blatantly idiotic idea, does not mean we don't export it.

Corporations are not motivated. People are motivated. Some people are motivated by profit more than others.

None of this is relevant. Willing exchanges made with full information always favor both parties, and that isn't terribly difficult to figure out.

In order to become a monopoly, you have to satisfy virtually every part of the market's needs. That's not natural, but it is definitely good for consumers.

Ok, you are right, I slightly misspoke. We have exported it, but the idea that we support that EVERYWHERE in the world is wrong. That's what I was getting at. It's not our consistent foreign policy.

As for becoming a monopoly, unfortunately that's not true. The more money you have, the easier it is to crush competitors. The free market system requires regulation in order to truly be free. I would agree that willing exchanges made with full information are good, but that often doesn't happen unless the government steps in to ensure a truly free and fair market.

PBrunsel:
His speech reminded me of speeches I have made as President. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page