Special At-Large Senate Election Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Special At-Large Senate Election Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Special At-Large Senate Election Debate  (Read 1154 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »

Am I allowed to comment on Mr. JCL's statement?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

Yes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »

I would like to thank Scott, Franzl, Alfred, & JCL for participating in this debate. Smiley

I am running for Senate because I believe the we need a small yet strong government that respects taxpayer dollars & protects individual rights, both at home & abroad. We need to end this recession & improve the lives by eliminating regulations that hurt small businesses & keeping the tax code as simple as possible.

As my opponents have mentioned, education is extremely important and we need to make it easier for people to find the right education that suits their need, whether it's public education, private education, of even education from home.

As for transportation, while I agree that a high-speed rail system would be good for Atlasia, we also need to work with businesses and local governments to build the system in the most cost efficient way possible. I also believe that we need to use all sources of energy available to us in order keep costs down for people who want or need to use individual transportation to get around.

Thank you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »

Questions for all candidates:

1. If elected, what specific goals do you seek to accomplish and by what means will you attempt to accomplish them?  Is there any legislation you intend to introduce?  If so, what are their specifics?

2. What is your take on the current nature of the Senate?  What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses, and how can the Senate be improved?

3. Do you feel that the Senate committees have been a net-gain to the game, or a net-loss?

4. Recently, Senator Marokai Blue introduced legislation that would give the President full authority to direct military operations against the 2012 Presidential Election Board of the forum.  Do you believe military action against this nation is necessary?

5. Do you believe that the current tax code is fair and ideal for our nation's economy?  If not, what changes do you intend to make?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »

My answers in bold.

Thank you Scott, Franzi, Goldwater, and Alfred for your desire to serve.

When a government is massively in debt and that same government decides to have sharp progressive rates that hurts job creators from creating the jobs we need in these difficult times, it shoots itself in the foot when trying to meet these goals.

Mr. JCL, you're concerned about the debt, right? If so, why do you oppose progressive taxation? It's both fair and deficit-reducing.

When that government seeks to strip the judicial and law endorsement of laying upon the most stringent of consequences for the most heinous of crimes, that is a massive problem.

I thought you opposed state-sanctioned murder.

When a president is vocally opposing reasonable restrictions upon the practice of abortion and not being an advocate for the unborn, that is not just.

Do you support any exceptions in case of rape, incest, or the life of the mother? Or would life-of-the-mother abortions be covered under Stand Your Ground?

As both Franzi and Alfred have both stated in both of their opening statements, they support various of mass transport, so do I. Yet I think we can get there another way. Loosen the regulations on the market so they, if they see a workable way, work with the regional governments and Nyman to accomplish this massive project. Until that, we can have affordable individual and family travel by unleashing our own energy reserves. We can find ways to minimize enviromental impact if the Nyman government would loosen the regulations and have environmentalists work with the energy producers to create those ways and doing so in a way that doesn't make prices explode much worse than what we're dealing with now.

How exactly would loosening environmental regulations help the environment?

Franzi speaks of educational reform, I've been at the forefront of that fight trying to find solutions for rising tuition costs. Though my plan was essentially defeated I've demonstrated that I can, along with Governor-elect Tmth that this is an important matter that must be addressed.

What exactly is/was your plan? I've never seen it, and I'd be interested in knowing it.

I heard it once said that "The role of government is to defend liberty." I will add to it that it's the role of the individual, family, faith community, town, city, county and regional government to steward that liberty.

Define "stewarding liberty".

Questions for all candidates:

1. If elected, what specific goals do you seek to accomplish and by what means will you attempt to accomplish them?  Is there any legislation you intend to introduce?  If so, what are their specifics?

Creating jobs for those who don't have them. A public works program, funded by the government, to restore our ailing infrastructure that would be driven by unemployed Atlasians. I introduced a form of public works in the Northeast; I'll probably be able to find it if you guys want it, and I think it would be good to take it to the national level.

2. What is your take on the current nature of the Senate?  What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses, and how can the Senate be improved?

Well, I haven't been checking up on the Senate as much as I used to (please don't hurt me), but from what I've seen it's done pretty OK (again, please don't hurt me). The Senate could definitely be improved if everyone in it was Labor. I've heard it's not been very active lately, and that's never good. Sorry if that was a crappy answer.

3. Do you feel that the Senate committees have been a net-gain to the game, or a net-loss?

Yes. I think they've done well for the Senate, and by extension the entire nation-board-thing. They're useful and stuff.

4. Recently, Senator Marokai Blue introduced legislation that would give the President full authority to direct military operations against the 2012 Presidential Election Board of the forum.  Do you believe military action against this nation is necessary?

"Military action" is such a strong word-thing. Yes, the board is bad, but it is bad because of the trolls. I support military action against terrorist organizations and their leaders in that region, such as Politico and Mondale84. They have claimed countless Atlasian lives and I believe that people like them should be brought to justice. However, idealist that I am, I believe that maybe, just maybe, if we defeat the trolls we can make the board a better place.

5. Do you believe that the current tax code is fair and ideal for our nation's economy?  If not, what changes do you intend to make?

I'm fine with the current tax code.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:08 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My campaign slogan has basically become "livability", and I stand by that. I want to improve the lives of ordinary Atlasians by making Atlasia an objectively better place to live. Education, health, mobility and fairness.

If our budget situation allows it at some point, I will almost certainly be introducing legislation to help solve our education affordability crisis.

There are some really great members in the Senate currently. The biggest problem (and it's a big one), however, is the lack of activity. That's the only way to seriously improve the Senate.

I agree with Alfred. Nothing more to say.

Yes, without a doubt. I was the first candidate in this election to announce my unwavering support for this necessary military action. We can't just stand by and watch this evil take place.

Well, I helped pass it. So yes, I do think it's fair. Is it optimal for our economy? I don't think our top tax rate has had very many bad effects....but I recognize that a rate at that level is not necessarily optimal. I would be willing to consider lowering it if we have money to spend at some point....although I caution that there are other priorities (education, infrastructure) that I would likely give preference.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

Not all candidates have answered yet, but here are the two last questions from shua:

For all candidates:
1. What is your position on the Contempt of Congress Act?
2. Are there any reforms you would like to see to help the national economy?

Closing statements may be delivered upon answering these.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »

Not all candidates have answered yet, but here are the two last questions from shua:

For all candidates:

I support it. I believe that our government should have access to all the information it needs and/or desires.

Not really. The system is good as it is, fundamentally; we just need it to get up and kicking again.

I'll deliver my closing statement later.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

1. If elected, what specific goals do you seek to accomplish and by what means will you attempt to accomplish them?  Is there any legislation you intend to introduce?  If so, what are their specifics?

My goal is to improve the efficiency of government while also decreasing it's influence in the lives of Atlasian citizens. Some legislation I would propose to accomplish this include selling off some national parks to private companies & creating a national right to work law.

I generally approve of the Senate's work, although I find the lack of activity from some members to be disappointing.

I think they have been a net gain, although they need to be more active.

I fully support military action. You can't reason with terrorists this insane & dangerous.

Ideally, I would like taxes to be lower & flatter, but because of the amount of dept the government is in now might not be the best time to cut taxes.  However, I will only support a tax increase if it comes with an equal decrease in spending.

I reluctantly support it, as I think it's necessary for the government to run efficiently.

I would like to see fewer taxes & fewer regulations, although I think we'll be worse off in the long run if we stimulate the economy at the expense of fiscal responsibility.

I'll deliver my closing statements once everybody has had a chance to anwser all of the questions.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

Closing Statement (this'll probably be brief):

Once again, I'd like to thank you all for letting me participate in this great process. I'd be glad to have any of these people serve as my senator, except JCL, because he's a homophobe. I know that you know that we all know that Atlasia needs to pick itself up, dust itself off, and start creating good jobs for our hard-working middle class instead of rewarding the gigantic mega-corporations with billions more in profits. I'm fighting for the average Atlasian, and I hope average Atlasians will fight for me in this election. I congratulate Mr. Franzl, Mr. JCL, and Rep. Goldwater for participating in this debate with me.

I hope y'all have fun voting tomorrow!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »

For all candidates:

1. Reluctantly support. I see valid concerns about it, but have sufficient faith in our judicial system to allow it.

2. The national economy is improving. Providing direct support at this time is difficult for financial reasons, but given the opportunity, certain infrastructure investments would be on my agenda. That would at least make long-term sense as well, as opposed to some stimulus measures that tend to just provide a short term boost despite the cost.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:56 AM »

In closing, I hope I have been able to convince you of my experience, competence and ideas. I want to make Atlasia a better, healthier, more educated, more environmentally friendly place to live. With your help, both in this election and afterwards, I'm confident that we can make it happen. I want everyday Atlasians to know I'm looking out for their interests and will use my influence to best represent their interests!

Thank you all, all the best to my opponents, and I hope we can celebrate in 3 days!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »

Closing Statement (this'll probably be brief):

Once again, I'd like to thank you all for letting me participate in this great process. I'd be glad to have any of these people serve as my senator, except JCL, because he's a homophobe. I know that you know that we all know that Atlasia needs to pick itself up, dust itself off, and start creating good jobs for our hard-working middle class instead of rewarding the gigantic mega-corporations with billions more in profits. I'm fighting for the average Atlasian, and I hope average Atlasians will fight for me in this election. I congratulate Mr. Franzl, Mr. JCL, and Rep. Goldwater for participating in this debate with me.

I hope y'all have fun voting tomorrow!

I may be against gay marriage but I'm not afraid of the gay community. Homophobia implies fear. As you all know I'm ok with most of the rights they request. Adoption and Marriage being the exceptions.

As for the Contempt of Congress Act I do support for the sake of being transperant with the people.

As for the economic questions Shua asked I would still lean on my Detroit plan which cuts government spending by at least 200 billion dollars and limiting the top marginal tax rate to 40 percent as it was around during the Clinton administration. We must also look to tying our currency to a commodity like gold, silver, and oil. However the most important matter is reducing the debt.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »

I may be against gay marriage but I'm not afraid of the gay community. Homophobia implies fear. As you all know I'm ok with most of the rights they request. Adoption and Marriage being the exceptions.

I'm not familiar with any non-bigoted reasons for opposing gay adoption.

The same reasons that I oppose gay marriage are the same reasons that I oppose gay adoptions. Is your statement implying that religious/moral/natural law reasons are bigoted? If so you couldn't be more wrong. Several months ago I mentioned where a lesbian couple adopted a little boy. This boy was abused via his farce of a "parental couple" forced testrone suppressants into him. Trust me I know how straight parents can be down right abusive at times. I lived it eight of my first eleven years under such. I won't tell all of my mothers abuses and borderline if not criminal behavior myself or my siblings but it has scientifically proven children are best suited in two parent homes led by a father and a mother.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 05:16:46 PM by Senator Scott »

I'm not familiar with any non-bigoted reasons for opposing gay adoption.

The same reasons that I oppose gay marriage are the same reasons that I oppose gay adoptions. Is your statement implying that religious/moral/natural law reasons are bigoted? If so you couldn't be more wrong. Several months ago I mentioned where a lesbian couple adopted a little boy. This boy was abused via his farce of a "parental couple" forced testrone suppressants into him. Trust me I know how straight parents can be down right abusive at times. I lived it eight of my first eleven years under such. I won't tell all of my mothers abuses and borderline if not criminal behavior myself or my siblings but it has scientifically proven children are best suited in two parent homes led by a father and a mother.

That's true, except for the fact that it's false.  Granted, it's rather difficult to conduct studies on which parents are more suitable to raise children just for the fact that nurturing style varies by individual, but there really isn't any evidence that being raised by homosexuals alters one's nature or personality in a negative way.  States that allow adoptions by same-sex couples (I live in one) are no worse off than those that don't.  As for the boy you mentioned, I'm sorry to hear about that unfortunate scenario, but that doesn't negate same-sex adoption rights any more than child abuse instigated by heterosexual couples negates heterosexual adoption rights.  The solution is to evaluate parents on a case-by-case basis rather than get government involved in families' lives, which runs contrary to your yellow avatar.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies