New PEI polling district maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New PEI polling district maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New PEI polling district maps  (Read 6224 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
« edited: September 17, 2012, 10:24:04 AM by Уродливые кухни »

Oh yeah! Later on I'll do maps for '07 and '03, maybe some swings too.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »

Ooh! Very nice! May I use this on my site?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »

Ooh! Very nice! May I use this on my site?

Of course.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »

Excellent. Do you have your key somewhere? I don't see any numbers on it on this map.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »

Excellent. Do you have your key somewhere? I don't see any numbers on it on this map.

Here you go:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »

Interesting. I just did the poll extremes for PEI in the other thread. Provincially, things are a bit different, obviously. The best Green poll from the federal election corresponds to that lighter red area on the south shore. The best NDP areas are lighter red in Charlottetown.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

Interesting. Poll 10 of Charlottetown - Parkdale was the NDP's best poll in the province federally where they got a majority of votes. However, provincially they got just 16 votes. But, they did finish third, just 3 votes off the Tories. Poll 9 was the worst poll for the Tories federally, and provincially was at least the worst in the riding where they almost finished third (one vote more than the Greens).

Also, Poll 5 of Charlottetown - Brighton was the federal poll where I suspected an error in the tabulation. It happens to be the worst poll for the NDP provincially, but they still managed to get 8 votes whereas federally the data says they got just 1 vote. This reinforces my suspicion. Federally the poll is supposed to the Green's best on the island, but provincially it's not even their best in the riding.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

Those are great maps!
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

Interesting. Poll 10 of Charlottetown - Parkdale was the NDP's best poll in the province federally where they got a majority of votes. However, provincially they got just 16 votes. But, they did finish third, just 3 votes off the Tories. Poll 9 was the worst poll for the Tories federally, and provincially was at least the worst in the riding where they almost finished third (one vote more than the Greens).

Also, Poll 5 of Charlottetown - Brighton was the federal poll where I suspected an error in the tabulation. It happens to be the worst poll for the NDP provincially, but they still managed to get 8 votes whereas federally the data says they got just 1 vote. This reinforces my suspicion. Federally the poll is supposed to the Green's best on the island, but provincially it's not even their best in the riding.

How do you know which polls in the provincial data correspond to the federal ones?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »

How do you know which polls in the provincial data correspond to the federal ones?

There was a link on the Elections PEI website. I just took a look and couldn't find it, so I don't know if I was looking in the wrong place, or if they've taken it down, but the link went through to PDFs of each of the federal ridings, and saying which poll for that riding corresponded with which provincial riding/poll. I have a copy of it saved, if you're interested.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

Pretty easy to find. Elections PEI has google maps of each riding with their polls. It looks like the provincial polls match the federal polls and even the municipal polls (at least in Charlottetown).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Interesting. I just did the poll extremes for PEI in the other thread. Provincially, things are a bit different, obviously. The best Green poll from the federal election corresponds to that lighter red area on the south shore. The best NDP areas are lighter red in Charlottetown.

I've found it fascinating that the past few elections, federally, the Conservatives have won in the Western end of the island, whereas provincially, the PCs have predominantly won in the Eastern end of the island. I don't know if that's just been the case the past couple of elections, whether it's coincidental, or whether there's a reason for it, but it's something that I've thought interesting.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 09:18:16 PM by Уродливые кухни »

Pretty easy to find. Elections PEI has google maps of each riding with their polls. It looks like the provincial polls match the federal polls and even the municipal polls (at least in Charlottetown).

How do I match up the federal results with the individual precincts in Charlottetown and Summerside? That is, how do I know which district corresponds to "Charlottetown 57" from the federal results in the Charlottetown riding? The results from Elections Canada just show polls with the name of the city and a number and not the locality/street name given by Elections PEI.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »

Charlottetown 57 equates to the provincial riding of Charlottetown-Brighton, poll number 1.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »

How do I match up the federal results with the individual precincts in Charlottetown and Summerside? That is, how do I know which district corresponds to "Charlottetown 57" from the federal results in the Charlottetown riding? The results from Elections Canada just show polls with the name of the city and a number and not the locality/street name given by Elections PEI.

Oh, well there are a few sites that show the federal results by poll (with maps):

http://www.the506.com/elxnmaps/can2011/
http://earth.smurfmatic.net/canada2011/

There may be others, but that's all you need.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2012, 07:19:09 AM by Уродливые кухни »

Thanks, Hatman and Smid, you're the best. You will be richly rewarded for your help.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

More to come.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

YELLOW!?

Smiley

Great maps by the way. Keep them coming. 

FTR, the eastern part of PEI is traditionally more conservative, but the reverse appears on the federal map due the candidate strength of the MP. You can see that the Liberals were relegated to their traditional Acadian stronghold in the south of Egmont.

But,  you can clearly see that personal politics plays a big role in the province.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »

FTR, the eastern part of PEI is traditionally more conservative

Why is that?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

I'm guessing less French ancestry? Maybe more Protestant? PEI is a pretty traditional place, family voting patterns are very important. I think the old saying there goes, the mother choses the church they go to, and the father picks the party they support.

But anyways, my knowledge of PEI demographics is pretty low.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »

Anne of Green Gables. Red soil. Potatoes. And... er... um...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

Let's see

Cardigan (eastern PEI)
Catholic: 51%
Protestant: 40%
Anglos: 96%
Francos: 1%

Egmont (western PEI)
Catholic: 54%
Protestant: 38%
Anglos: 88%
Francos: 10%

So, language has more to do with it the religion.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »

The northern tip of Prince County (Egmont) is historically a French area, although not so much anymore (still more so than most of the county).

Eastern PEI is also more Scotch than the rest, while the west is more of an Irish/English/Scotch/French mix.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

I think you'll like this one, Earl. Right-click, of course.

NDP didn't win any districts, but came within 13 votes of taking Victoria Park.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »

Very cool! I'm trying to remember if someone made something like that last year. Anyways, great stuff as always.

I should probably make a PEI page on my site to put all of these maps on them Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies