Philadelphia Inquirer polls for PA & NJ: Obama dominating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Philadelphia Inquirer polls for PA & NJ: Obama dominating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Philadelphia Inquirer polls for PA & NJ: Obama dominating  (Read 2954 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

I would think it much more expensive to advertize in CA than PA.  Further, to hit southern NJ, you have to advertize in the Phila media market.  Abandoning PA is abandoning NJ (so in abandoning NY).
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

there was actually some spending in CA in 2000 as well plus both OR and WA. The battleground map was pretty big back in those days
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »

I would think it much more expensive to advertize in CA than PA.  Further, to hit southern NJ, you have to advertize in the Phila media market.  Abandoning PA is abandoning NJ (so in abandoning NY).

That was true once upon a time, but not really these days. With the advent of cable (and to a lesser extent satellite systems if they use a set top box that can store and play ads selectively) as the dominant method of accessing television it is quite feasible to target only a portion of a media market with one's "broadcast" ads.  Granted, there are still those such as myself who still rely on over-the-air broadcasts, but I'm very much in the minority.  Radio too is still dominated by broadcast, but it is a far less expensive medium than television.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

That was true once upon a time, but not really these days. With the advent of cable (and to a lesser extent satellite systems if they use a set top box that can store and play ads selectively) as the dominant method of accessing television it is quite feasible to target only a portion of a media market with one's "broadcast" ads.  Granted, there are still those such as myself who still rely on over-the-air broadcasts, but I'm very much in the minority.  Radio too is still dominated by broadcast, but it is a far less expensive medium than television.

It may be feasible to target a small portion of a TV Market by making cable buys, for example, buying local cable ads during Phillies telecasts only in New Jersey to reach South Jersey men, but despite cable balkanization, the largest audience still watches the major broadcast networks.  Both presidential campaigns are currently spending a lot of money in the Boston TV market to reach New Hampshire.  Connecticut Senate candidate Linda McMahon is advertising in the New York City TV market to reach Fairfield County, Connecticut (the oddest part is seeing ads mentioning her opponent's attacks without having seen the original attack ad).  That will continue as long as the broadcast networks reach the most viewers and give the biggest bang for the buck.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:26 AM »

It may be feasible to target a small portion of a TV Market by making cable buys, for example, buying local cable ads during Phillies telecasts only in New Jersey to reach South Jersey men, but despite cable balkanization, the largest audience still watches the major broadcast networks.  Both presidential campaigns are currently spending a lot of money in the Boston TV market to reach New Hampshire.  Connecticut Senate candidate Linda McMahon is advertising in the New York City TV market to reach Fairfield County, Connecticut (the oddest part is seeing ads mentioning her opponent's attacks without having seen the original attack ad).  That will continue as long as the broadcast networks reach the most viewers and give the biggest bang for the buck.

Yes and no.  While the broadcast stations have been resisting it as they don't want to share the ad revenue, there's no technical reason why there could not be cable system specific ads for the broadcast stations as well as the subscription-only stations.  It'll just have to reach the point where the increased ad revenues possible from targeting make it possible for the broadcast stations to make more money despite having to give the cable systems a cut.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies